We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No Drinking in Playa this Sunday July 7th? Actually......

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
105 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
No Drinking in Playa this Sunday July 7th? Actually......

Here is what I found.....(with translation)

Cancún.- El gobernador Roberto Borge Angulo anunció este martes que, con motivo de la jornada electoral, la “ley seca” se aplicará en Quintana Roo a partir de las 24 horas del próximo sábado y hasta las 24 horas del domingo, a fin de garantizar la tranquilidad durante los comicios.

Cancun - Governer Roberto Borge Angulo announced this Tuesday, due to the election, the "dry law" will apply in Quintana Roo beginning at midnight Saturday until midnight Sunday in order to guarantee order during the election.

En el caso de Quintana Roo, por ser zona turística, la “ley seca” no se aplicará en los establecimientos ubicados en la zona hotelera y los que se especializan en la atención a turistas.

En the case of Quintana Roo, for being a tourist area, the "dry law" will not be applied en establishments located in the hotel zone y those that specialize in catering to tourists.

—En los hoteles, centros de hospedaje, establecimientos que venden alimentos dentro de los hoteles, vamos a permitir que la venta de bebidas alcohólicas con alimentos —explicó.

---In the hotels, hospitality areas, establishments that sell food within the hotels, we will permit the sale of alcoholic beverages with food.

With that.....I think I will go ahead and pick up a little something just in case. I would hate to spend a whole Sunday with no drink in my hand.

See you all in Playa this weekend!!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No Drinking in Playa this Sunday July 7th? Actually......

P/u a bottle of Havana club rum!!!!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,533 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: No Drinking in Playa this Sunday July 7th? Actually......

A bit misleading title

You can drink

You just can't buy liquor

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No Drinking in Playa this Sunday July 7th? Actually......

Thank god i am showing up on the 8th

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No Drinking in Playa this Sunday July 7th? Actually......

We were there when this happened last year, you can still get served in your resort or hotel so don't worry :-)

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,643 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No Drinking in Playa this Sunday July 7th? Actually......

I really like the idea of a bottle of Havana Rum, especially Havana 7 Rum.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,820 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No Drinking in Playa this Sunday July 7th? Actually......

I was there during a election a while back when they did this and saw no different except when I went to Mega for a bottle of wine.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
139 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: No Drinking in Playa this Sunday July 7th? Actually......

How much unrest is really associated with these elections? I'm just curious about the context and the background with this temporary rule.

Leawood, Kansas
Level Contributor
752 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No Drinking in Playa this Sunday July 7th? Actually......

I'll be in Playa for the first time in a few hours. I guess we will stop at mega tomorrow for supplies. Thank God we have an excursion that will take up majority of the day on Sunday

9. Re: No Drinking in Playa this Sunday July 7th? Actually......

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2014, 13:43
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
523 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: No Drinking in Playa this Sunday July 7th? Actually......

Wah Wah posted over on Playa Info that they are able to serve alcohol as long as you purchase food and are not eligible to vote in the election.