We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need opinions on a few resorts.Trying to choose!! HELP!! :-)

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need opinions on a few resorts.Trying to choose!! HELP!! :-)

I am also going to post this in the puerto morelos forum as well.

A little bit about me. This is my 4th time visiting the Riviera Maya. First was in Cancun, second Iberostar Tucan, and last was the Grand palladium in Akumal.

This time (first time doing this this way) I am using a friends time share exchange through Interval international / Diamond Resorts.

It will be myself and my fiancee. We are 32 and 42 years old. No children.

We would love to stay at a beautiful resort that has options. One that is nice, lush, clean, has good food and drinks, a nice beach that we can hang under a palapas, enjoy some beach activities like snorkling, etc. or enjoy a beach party thrown by the resort with music and some fun. But also a place if we felt, walk away to a quiet corner and not be bothered and hang on a beach bed.

Adult only is nice but not neccesary (as long as they are well behaved children and the resort / hotel it is not fully geared toward children). Adult only sections are nice as well. Romance is great, love it, but we like to have options to meet other people and socialize if we have the urge as well.

Would like a a place that has some entertainment / nightlife. Doesn't have to be a major party place, We also plan on going to Playa some nights a time or two for that.

Love a great pool with swim up bars. Again love the options of doing fun activities or none at all if we want.

We are looking at AIl Inclusive's so would like to have variety of good food to choose from.

Our choices are:

El Dorado Royal

El Dorado Seaside Suites

Azul Fives

Azul Sensatori

Royal Hacienda

Hacienda Tres Rio

Reef playacar

I read that Eldorado is beautiful, I read Hacienda Tres Rio has their own Cenotes. I've been to many and love those but I also read the beach isn't that great there, or the food, blah blah blah..

(I loved Iberostar Tucan for the lush jungle nature environment)

I am so confused because on all these resorts one review is great, the other terrible...sigh...

We plan on going November / December 2013

HELP!!!

:-)

P.S if anyone can tell me about their exchange experience I would appreciate it. Thanks!!

Edited: 07 July 2013, 23:37
Easton, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need opinions on a few resorts.Trying to choose!! HELP!! :-)

We were at HTR about a month ago & we loved it. It was just me & my husband. The cenote's were amazing. The beach just in front of the resort isn't aesthetically pleasing but if you head to the left if you are facing the water you will find a small beach area that is really beautiful. The beds on the beach are so comfortable. The service all over the resort especially at the pools & beach was spot on. They have a nice sized adults only pool there too. Only draw back for us is that they only serve Corona. Sorry to all of the Corona fans out there but that stuff is just nasty & bad in our opinions. I actually got a Bud Lite put in our mini fridge one day but if there is anything worse than Corona it's Bud Lite. (sorry) We were able to overlook it for the most part. They have so many things that are included like snorkeling, kayak's & of course the cenote's. Their activities list is limitless. I have a copy if your interested) There is a lot to do all day & night or you can do nothing at all. The food was pretty decent, not the best we have had but definitely not the worst by any means. The Mexican restaurant was our favorite. That was a first for us while in the Riviera Maya. Seems strange that all of the Mexican Restaurants in the resorts we have visited were pretty awful throughout the years but HTR does a spectacular job. They have a great tequila bar in that restaurant as well. If we needed anything all we simply asked. That's when I asked for a different kind of beer, hence the Bud Lite in the frig. They tried that's for sure. The only thing that would keep us from going back is the lack of beer choices but they had Bombay Sapphire Gin at no additional charge so that made up for it. hehehe!!! We also visited Sandos Cancun Luxury & Paradisus La Perla during this trip. We would highly recommend Sandos in Cancun but NOT La Perla, that place was despicable. Sandos actually had a heated pool which was nice during our first two days b/c it was cold, windy & raining for the most part. Just thought I would mention that since you are going Nov/Dec. Hope this helps.

Edited: 08 July 2013, 00:52
Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need opinions on a few resorts.Trying to choose!! HELP!! :-)

First thing I would do is see how much each of those is going to charge you for the AI ($90/day per person, $120/day /person)? The AI part can be very pricey, so comparing that may eliminate some of them or not.

Easton, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need opinions on a few resorts.Trying to choose!! HELP!! :-)

I think the AI charge at HTR is somewhere around $99 pp pn but it IS NOT mandatory. I maybe wrong about the price but that's what I remembered someone talking about. We met a lot of people that were there & they didn't do the all inclusive plan. They have prices, in pesos, on all of their menus. I thought the prices were high so if you & yours enjoy eating & drinking all day/night then I suggest you purchase the AI plan.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
6,880 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need opinions on a few resorts.Trying to choose!! HELP!! :-)

We like the Catalonia Royal Tulum for adults only and not 'exclusively' honeymooners... its in a somewhat remote area and has one of the best beaches with crystal clear water, great for skorkeling or kayaking from the beach and pedal boats, no rocks and you can walk approx. a mile in either direction with no other hotels in the immediate area; nice size rooms, good food with plenty of ala carte dining options (no reservations needed) and buffet, nice pool areas and Jacuzzi pools, air conditioned gym and spa, some evening entertainment and lobby bar... other than beach volleyball the only thing the resort may be lacking from your list is the beach party atmosphere and swimup bar, but the bar is close by as well as servers by the pool and on the beach.

www.cataloniaroyaltulum.com

New York
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Need opinions on a few resorts.Trying to choose!! HELP!! :-)

Thanks so much for replying everyone!!

Would love to check that resort out in Tulum but the resorts I listed are the only ones I can use with their time share.

Still would love to have opinions on the other resorts mentioned as well.

HINT HINT HINT

ANYONE? PRETTY PLEASE??!! :-D

New York
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Need opinions on a few resorts.Trying to choose!! HELP!! :-)

RE: hailtotheredskins

Thanks for the tip on the Beer. I myself prefer the liquor :-P

Hope that is ok there as well...

Halifax
Level Contributor
255 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need opinions on a few resorts.Trying to choose!! HELP!! :-)

We honeymooned at El Dorado Seaside Suites the end of March and we enjoyed our vaca!

Food was great, adults only, we mingled with lots of other guests, animation team doesn't hassle you to participate.

The main pool is small-ish but has a swim up bar, the beach was ok. Not as great as some, but not as bad as I was expecting based on reviews. Drink service on the beach was great. Plenty of top shelf liquor options. Lots of loungers / beds and plenty of shade.....

8. Re: Need opinions on a few resorts.Trying to choose!! HELP!! :-)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2014, 07:17