We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts on best adults only AI !!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
Save Topic
Thoughts on best adults only AI !!

Thinking about going back to Playa, it's been 2 years. I thought I wanted to return to RPDC, I know hubby does, but WOW 2 years have gone by and the Royal is #26......sure just a number but Paradisus La Perle and Blue Diamond are rated higher. Secrets Maroma and other non AI are a bit out of my budget. I guess what I am asking is, IS is it really worth it, rooms, pools and food to stay further away from 5th ave than settling again for the RPDC because its close to town. I feel like there are better adult AI and RPDC is over-rated now......all thoughts opinions please on ADULT ONLY AI'S thanks!!!

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,444 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thoughts on best adults only AI !!

Royal Hideaway is great and walking distance to town as well. The beach is marvelous, food is great and we really liked it. It tends to be more quiet than some places so if quiet bothers you it probably isn't for you. Otherwise check it out. Have stayed at Blue Diamond and while nice it isn't walking distance to PDC and it has inconsistent food and service. We found it even more quiet than Royal Hideaway.

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,660 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thoughts on best adults only AI !!

Take a look at VIM and Secrets Silversands - SMB is the best in my opinion - so I think these two will be in your range and are very nice.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,625 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thoughts on best adults only AI !!

We liked VIM more than RPDC. I'd look into it. RPDC felt way too 'cramped' to me- sorta like a hotel in a big city. Just not enough space, not enough shade, not enough loungers. VIM had all that RPDC had to offer in the way of nice rooms, no reservations for dinner, good food, drinks but was a bit more spread out.

Lots of people also recommend Excellence resorts (EPM and ERC) and Secrets resorts (SSS is popular and way less than SMB)

RH is another high end resort that is close to PDC if being close to town is important. La Perla and Esmerelda are newer but also close to town.

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Thoughts on best adults only AI !!

If you really liked the Royal why would a silly ranking make any difference.

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,660 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thoughts on best adults only AI !!

Take a look at Catalonia Royal Tuluum as well - you may like CRT - just gives you another option to think about.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thoughts on best adults only AI !!

RPDC's rating took a bit of a kicking this spring as they had a bit of an issue with a tummy virus. They finally took it seriously and got it under control and by all indications it is no longer an issue. We were there in Feb. When we booked in the fall of 2012 RPDC was at a very solid 14.

If you liked The Royal in the past, I wouldn't let the drop in ratings scare you away. I'm sure they're on their way back up again.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
52 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thoughts on best adults only AI !!

Definitely take a look at Secrets Silversands! It's a lot cheaper than Maroma Beach, but very similar. We've been to both and enjoyed both of them. :)

I've also heard that Excellence is really nice and that it's comparable to Secrets, but I have no personal experience with the brand.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Thoughts on best adults only AI !!

Thanks everyone!

9. Re: Thoughts on best adults only AI !!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2013, 08:01
Omaha
Level Contributor
144 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thoughts on best adults only AI !!

We had the same question about RPDC. However if you pay any attention to the reviews they are all off the charts and it's slowly creeping back up. We booked it because what it has to offer is unmatched to us. The only other place we considered in the area was Playacar Palace but RPDC was cheaper overall anyways. Also we've been to SSS and while it's a great resort it wasn't quite on the same level as the Royal.