We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xel Ha all day pass vs. day at Akumal beach

San Diego
Level Contributor
376 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Xel Ha all day pass vs. day at Akumal beach

We are a family of 5 (kids 20,17,8) staying at Iberostar Tucan.

We are planning one day off the resort to do some snorkeling. We are on somewhat of a budget and my youngest daughter would love to see sea turtles. Your suggestions would be most appreciated.

Also, I am trying to gather information on places to eat in Playa for a lunch and a dinner. I have heard of El Oasis as a possibility for lunch and "the best shrimp tacos" and perhaps Dona Mary for dinner? One lunch, one dinner; GREAT food priority number 1, atmosphere priority number 2. I would appreciate your suggestions - fire away!

Thanks

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
12,967 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Xel Ha all day pass vs. day at Akumal beach

I think you would have a great time in Akumal. You can take a collectivo from town (Crn. 2nd & 15th streets) and ask to be left off across from the entrance to Akumal playa. You might want to make a stop at the library - a very important part of the community and a great inspiration for your kids. Map to Akumal

info-akumal.com/Akumal_Mexico/akumal_map.htm

Blog for library. We usually collect some trinkets to bring for prizes for the kids. http://hekabbe.blogspot.com/

There is snorkeling at Akumal Bay, Half Moon Bay and Yal Ku Lagoon. You can rent a golf cart to drive from Akumal Bay to Yal Ku Lagoon at the travel agency.

Alice from AZ (who helps the library) posted a restaurant link.

http://home.comcast.net/~capecodann/Restaurants_by_Alice.doc

San Diego
Level Contributor
376 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Xel Ha all day pass vs. day at Akumal beach

Thanks Annon

I have been leaning towards a day at Akumal.

My wife and I are both teachers in San Diego. We would love to drop by the library and donate books. We stopped by an orphanage / school in Negril, Jamaica on our vacation in April '05 and it was one of the highlights of our vacation, especially my children interacting and playing with the children from the school.

What kind of books are most desired / needed? It would be our pleasure.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
12,967 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Xel Ha all day pass vs. day at Akumal beach

Hi,

Here is the link to the library "wish list". Apparently they do not need books as much as they need other things like school supplies, library supplies, trinkets for "prizes" and of course cash donations. It is a very worthwhile trip. If you have further questions you can e mail Alice in AZ. She tries to monitor the situation and oversees their needs.

http://hbwishlist.blogspot.com/

Budapest
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Xel Ha all day pass vs. day at Akumal beach

Hi,

Xel-Ha is a great pleace for snorkeling, but there are no turtles there. You can see giant turtles in XCaret, but not with snorkeling only from a lakeside. Feeding time is quite interesting.

Have fun!

Texas
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Xel Ha all day pass vs. day at Akumal beach

Hi. We are traveling this summer also. There are supposed to be turtles in Akumal Bay. Go to www.locogringo.com and post your question on the forum and look for the "turtle map". You should receive lots of info!. I have a 7 year old and we are also hoping to see turtles. have fun!

Texas
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Xel Ha all day pass vs. day at Akumal beach

Hi again. Locogringo also has a library link I believe.

st Louis
Level Contributor
263 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Xel Ha all day pass vs. day at Akumal beach

We did both Xel Ha and Akumal with four kids and four adults. We loved both days but fell in love with Akumal and are planning a trip back with five other families. We plan to rent one of the villas ringing Yal Ku lagoon. Yal Ku was great fun. My husband swam all the way out to the reef and ran into a sea turtle out there. Supossedly they are frequent sight in Akumal Bay. I am obsessed with sea turtles so hopefully will see one next trip. We also loved Xel Ha. For the money though (cheap) I would go with Akumal. Make sure you take the time to go down to Yal Ku though.

San Diego
Level Contributor
376 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Xel Ha all day pass vs. day at Akumal beach

Taymiss,

Good information. We are leaning towards a day at Akumal Bay; beach, relaxation, swimming, snorkeling and HOPEFULLY my daughter can see a sea turtle or two.

I definitely want to see and swim the Yal Ku lagoon also. Easy enough to do in one day?

st Louis
Level Contributor
263 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Xel Ha all day pass vs. day at Akumal beach

robbie,

You can absolutely do both in one day. We went first to Yal Ku. Our hotel had helped us line up a driver for the day. He had a van that all 8 of us could fit into. He then hung out all day driving us whereever we wanted to go. (We hired him for a second day and that is how we got to Xel Ha.) So anyway. We spent the morning in Yal Ku, he then drove us down to Akumel Beach where we had lunch and spent the afternoon. There were snorkel boats that you can hire to take you out to the reef. It is swimable but with kids better to be dropped off out there. I don't know the name of the place where we had lunch. Just a beachside open cafe type. Great guacamole, and margaritas.

Have fun, If there is a rowdy bunch hanging on the docks of Yal Ku that may be us!

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Xel Ha all day pass vs. day at Akumal beach

I would also recommend Akumal over Xel Ha. We stayed in Akumal for just 2 nights last summer and liked it so much that we are renting a villa there for 5 nights this year. Xel Ha was nice, but the snorkeling at Yal Ku is just as good. Try Lol Ha beach bar for lunch--great shrimp tacos! I'm a teacher, also, and also look forward to seeing the children at the library this year. Locogringo is a great site for information on Akumal. I've been a member for over a year and learned a lot from them!

We stayed at the Riu Palace last year, which is just 2 doors down from the Tucan. The Tucan looked very nice and the beach there is gorgeous! This year, we are also renting a condo in Playa so we can take advantage of all of the excellent restaurants! El Oasis is perfect for lunch, as is Playa Maya on the beach at Calle 8. For dinner, I liked Yaxche, which specializes in Mayan cuisine. Check Playainfo.com for lots of restaurant recommendations. Carboncitos, Casa Mediterranea, Chicago Don Jose's, Don Diego's, Palapa Hemingway's, and La Parilla are a few that are recommended. Have a great time!