We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expedia cancellations

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
765 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Expedia cancellations

Has anybody experienced any issues with Expedia? I booked a package with them, so far my deposit has only paid for my air fare. I am trying to cancel the hotel portion of my package and am being told this is not possible unless I pay for my entire package first. This seems so entirely backwards not to mention I also paid additional for insurance. Any suggestions anyone can offer would be great. Thanks!

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
522 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Expedia cancellations

My understanding is if you booked a package, the whole package has to be cancelled. That is you cannot just cancel the hotel portion. Can't offer any suggestions, but since you have the insurance, I would not be concerned. Chances are it's just a "system thing".

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Expedia cancellations

you may want to read that insurance...last time I bought it using expedia after reading it it is next to useless, basically covers you only if you die before your trip!

the insurance I bought through them was definitely not anything like a cancel for any reason policy.

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,499 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Expedia cancellations

When you buy a package you getting heavily discounted airfare, if everybody would be cancelling just the hotel portion Expedia would be out of business.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Expedia cancellations

Like Sig said, if you bought a hotel + air "package", they give you a discount for buying both. You would loose some of the discount if you cancelled one of the two. Perhaps that's why they are having a hard time with it. Maybe try calling again and see if you can get someone to explain it to you before you put more $ in.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
765 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Expedia cancellations

Thanks for all the input, I have learned my lesson the hard way. It is very deceiving as it states in the rules and regulations, you may cancel the hotel portion of your trip. What they don't say is you have to pay for the entire trip first. I paid $1200 and still owe $2400. I do not trust that they will really issue the credit as they say.

west virginia
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Expedia cancellations

I cancelled one with Travelocity and it did have to be paid in full before they would issue the hotel credit. The Airfare however is a different critter... The airline issues a voucher good for 1 year and you do have to pay the change fees $75pp for Airtran. If you paid with more than one credit card it REALLY gets fun as every online TA has a different policy. We used 2 cards but Travelocity would ONLY issue the credit to one. Still haven't quite got a handle on that one.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
765 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Expedia cancellations

yourkillinme

I was not even looking to cancel the airfare as I only wanted to change hotels. Did you get the credit as they promised?

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,625 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Expedia cancellations

Yes you do. Here is what happened with us. I booked GRP Laguna Villa in October along with air. I found a deal for VIM Emerald and the cost was $500 cheaper on the same site (expedia). I called them, paid off the entire GRP vacation, Booked the VIM vacation over the phone. They sent me the receipt for the credit immediately and the credit came in less than a week on our CC.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Expedia cancellations

PDX-Paul - the last time I booked with Expedia, there were 2 "insurance" options. The cheap one was for natural disaster type events only, while the more comprehensive plan was really a cancel for any reason plan. They make the contracts available to review prior to purchasing for your reading pleasure.

When we booked a trip to ERC for hurricane season, we definitely purchased the insurance.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,177 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Expedia cancellations

"When you buy a package you getting heavily discounted airfare,"

Whilst I'm sure that's the case for some people, IME, I've always paid the going rate for the airfare (as per the airline's own website) but got a significant discount on the room. In every case, there has been a charge on my credit card which has gone directly through to the airline and a second charge to Expedia which, presumably, goes to pay for the room. As all these transactions show up separately on my CC statement, it's easy to see the breakdown.

To the OP - if you booked "flight + hotel" you may find that when you go to rebook your accommodation, you can't get as good a deal as you did originally as you are now booking the two components separately and not as a "package". I don't know if this will have any bearing on your decision to cancel but just wanted to give you a heads up.

FWIW, I think Expedia are great UNTIL you need to change or cancel something. For this reason, if there's any sort of doubt hanging over my pending vacation whether it's domestic issues or indecisiveness about the destination, I am very reluctant to use Expedia. That said, I've actually had very good experience with them ..... and scored some fabulous deals to boot.