We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RPDC - Just Returned - Any ?'s

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,646 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
RPDC - Just Returned - Any ?'s

My husband & I just returned from an amazing 7 night stay at The Royal Playa Del Carmen. This is the 1st vacation ever we didn't feel the need to book any off site excursions because we had so much fun exploring the resort & town. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: RPDC - Just Returned - Any ?'s

What room did you get? We upgraded to the ocean view so we can pick our room. I think I want a first floor for the ease of getting out and about but hubby wants a higher floor like last time, even with the slight OV you get. Thoughts? And thanks again for helping! 😄👍

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,646 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RPDC - Just Returned - Any ?'s

We emailed and requested #903...when we went to do the online checkin we didn't have anything pre-assigned but were able to select #901 which is on the 4th floor. Most people request something near the main pool but we wanted something quiet and near the coffee house...we LOVED our room. Yes we looked to the right and saw the green fence of the tennis court & water treatment area but we also had a direct view of the ocean. It was less obstructed than our oceanfront view in room #525 that we had in 2008 because there were no palm trees in the way.

We ended up falling in love with the quiet pool and that was right behind us, we could lay out at the private pool and see when housekeeping was in our room, etc. The only thing about that was when the elevators were being used by staff we had to take the stairs but I preferred the stairs since it was the only working out I did while there. We will be requesting the same exact room the next time we return.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: RPDC - Just Returned - Any ?'s

Thanks! I absolutely loved the quiet pool in the afternoons!

Windsor,Ontario...
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: RPDC - Just Returned - Any ?'s

any major differences btwn Valentin Imperial Maya and RPDC, which did you find was better for food, location, rooms, pools.....

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,646 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RPDC - Just Returned - Any ?'s

Vittoria-RPDC wins in lmost of the categories you mentioned, at least for us.

Food-while the VIM had much better breakfast/lunch buffets we preferred RPDC's room service breakfast & A la carte lunch options to the VIM buffets. The RPDC breakfast room service menu appeared to have everything Pelicano's breakfast menu offered plus some & we were mere steps away from the Royal's Coffee House which had a great selection of coffee drinks & sweets/breads. Room service never took longer than 25 minutes and we always got more than we asked for, including fresh flowers on some occasions & any special requests we could think of. Lunch was great at Pelicano's & Asiana's and the buffets at RPDC were good as well..they had almost as large of an offering as VIM's buffets but we liked the grilling stations at VIM since they were reliable and didn’t change like at RPDC. I couldn't get over the huge fresh grilled veggies that the RPDC El Mediteraneo buffet had on it everyday....and for some reason the soup at RPDC was always amazing. I never thought I would eat a lot of soup on vacation but when there are so many that taste so great it's hard not to. VIM lunch buffets were always good but it was a buffet or room service, I forgot how much I enjoyed having a full sit-down lunch if I wanted. Dinner also goes to RPDC, not just for quality of food but for the service. Dinner service was hit or miss at VIM but at RPDC the service was stellar and the quality was a bit above VIM. For one example, when I couldn't decide what I wanted for dinner at Pelicano's I got both of the options I was considering and our drinks never went empty, the server even brought my husband a silver bucket of ice & his favorite beer..we loved that. Every server we had at dinner at RPDC offered to take our picture & that’s something I’ve always had to ask for at VIM. I vividly remember having to get up and get my own drink refills at at least 2 VIM dinners last year but to be fair we had plenty with great service. We also made a ton of special requests this year (no cucumber in my sushi, tempura shrimp cooked extra spicy, no mushrooms, etc.) and it was never a problem. I will say that every piece of steak I had at RPDC was something that I would pay plenty of money for at home, which was a 1st for me in Mexico. VIM is in no way bad but RPDC was better.

Location- this is where it gets a little different depending on what you’re looking for. If you want a quiet spaced out beach location with barely any kids on the beach VIM would win for location but we actually love walking on 5th street everyday, sometimes several times a day. The vendors on 5th weren’t bad at all and the sights/sounds/colors were just magical to us. The RPDC beach is more crowded but I’m a beach walker & I much preferred walking the RPDC beach both North & South since there is so much to do & see. Most mornings I would walk South to the Cozumel ferry dock then walk on 5th avenue back to RPDC and had a blast but that’s the most time we spent on the beach.

Rooms-another win for RPDC, we love the layout of the room as well as the very comfortable 2-person Jacuzzi. We’ve stayed in a Silver Suite at the VIM twice and were never tempted to even turn it on but the Jacuzzi at RPDC was huge, had tons of jets and super hot or cold water if you wanted. We didn’t use it much this trip but mainly because we were out exploring the town most evenings. Our friends used it and loved it, they are considering buying a hot tub at home now. We really appreciate the 2 sinks in the RPDC rooms as well, it makes getting ready easier. Other features are about the same and the bed at VIM was much more comfortable. Of course the view from our room at RPDC might have us a little jaded since we could sit in our reading chair every morning and star at the beautiful blue waters.

Pools-this is honestly a toss up, we LOVE the huge pool at VIM and the 2 large swim-up bars. We’ve never had problems finding shaded loungers there (but we also go in the slow season) & the swim-up bars have created some memories that will last a lifetime. We never felt the drink service was that great around the VIM pool but who needed it with the awesome swim-up bars?? We were disappointed with how crowded the main pool at RPDC was this time…after noon there was never an open seat at the swim-up bar and it just seemed super crowded. We only went there twice since we had stumbled on the quiet pool the 1st day there. The quiet pool is much smaller but man oh man does it melt your stress away. We didn’t even notice that there wasn’t a swim-up bar there since the drink service was so amazing around that pool, plus you could run into the coffee house and get ice cream whenever you wanted. If the quiet pool was much more crowded we would have to say that VIM pool situation for sure.

Overall-We love VIM for the beach and the live music every night, RPDC only had live music for short periods of time. If we were going back with a group of friends to party we would consider VIM but the next trip my husband & I take alone we will hopefully be going back to RPDC-it’s just more our cup of tea with the quiet pool and the service.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,646 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RPDC - Just Returned - Any ?'s

Sorry for the long winded reply, I really tried to analyze which resort I liked better. Our friends prefer the VIM but they live for the breakfast buffets there and they are much more beach people than we'll ever be. They didn't enjoy walking around 5th as much & that's a HUGE attraction to us.

I also took some video of the construction going on towards the North end of RPDC's property in case anyone is planning a trip there soon...it was pretty much a non-issue the entire week. I will try to get that on YouTube tonight.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: RPDC - Just Returned - Any ?'s

Ok Kelli, I was just drooling over you describing the food at RPDC, LOL. I guess I should lose at least 5lbs before my vacation ! 😄

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,646 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RPDC - Just Returned - Any ?'s

OMG tweety-the food was so good I had a hard time getting 3 meals a day in because I'd eat such large dinners. If you enjoy flank steak make SURE you try every flank steak dish they serve at Pelicano's! The poblano peppers they use there actually have some kick to them which was awesome since I love spicy. The chicken tortilla soup there was amazing as well, I tried to order just that for dinner one night but they forced me to get some coconut shrimp as well (and I'm glad they did).

And the Thai Beef/Veggie salads at Asiana's...I would seriously pay $10-$15 for each one of those here at home..probably much more for the Thai Beef. They even made the spring roll strawberry sauce with a special kick just for me..talk about service.

And with all of that mentioned above do you want to know what I'm craving the most right now? The lime sorbet from the Coffee House :-)

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,567 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: RPDC - Just Returned - Any ?'s

Kelli - so glad you guys had a great time, but after reading these posts, you definitely have to try SSS now.

Pool people over the beach - SSS; active/fun pool bar - SSS; other great private pools - SSS; great sit-down, service lunch - SSS; live music and dancing every day - SSS. Great dinner and service - SSS.

Again - so glad you guys had a great vacation!!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: RPDC - Just Returned - Any ?'s

Love sorbet! I didn't even remember the Coffeehouse having it! Thanks for mentioning it!