We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much spending money do you take when AI??

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
How much spending money do you take when AI??

We are budgeting £1000 spending money for 2 weeks. Can't really afford any more than that.

We are staying all inclusive and the 1000 has to include our departure tax and tips. We want to eat out a few times and do a couple of trips, so will be looking at prices before we go and deciding what we want to do.

Out of interest, how much do you take as spending money when visiting all inclusives? :)

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,172 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much spending money do you take when AI??

Should not be a problem at all.

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
401 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much spending money do you take when AI??

im only taking £400 as trips booked before we go

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much spending money do you take when AI??

Thanks Savannah thats reassuring.

We have considered that Sadie, and will knock it off if end up booking it before we go. :)

Anyone else?

Union, Mo near St...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much spending money do you take when AI??

I usually bring ~ $1200-1400 usd. About $350 is used for tips. I have the remainder just in case I need it. As we have been to the Riviera Maya, and Mexico in general so many times, we no longer take side trips or buy trinkets for the people back home. If anything the wife might pick up some unique silver jewelry.

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How much spending money do you take when AI??

Not necessarily to spend but have a credit card or ATM card with some cash behind it for emergencies. I have traveled all over and the further from home the more emergencies can cost. What is an emergency? Anything from losing luggage to getting ill to (God forbid) having to be air evacuated due to serious illness or accident. Extremely rare and there are special insurance policies. It happens. I had a friend shatter her ankle in Panama..backing up to take a photo. She had to be flown by air ambulance to California. Another picked up some intense parasites. Carried on a stretcher to a plane in Bolivia to get back to London. Took his parents years to pay that off. Not wanting to be scary. But stuff happens. More likely is you wanting to go crazy shopping. I have an English cousin who goes rabid in Mexican shops. Be sure to tip by US standards rather than European.

North Truro...
Level Contributor
8,594 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much spending money do you take when AI??

We bring $300 for tips for a week and then extra cash for incidentals...maybe another $200.

In lean times we have brought $150. for tips for the week and that is it.

Bringing a thousand dollars seems excessive to me. I vacation 3 or 4 times a year and that would really add up! I'd have to skip a vacation for that!

Edmonton
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much spending money do you take when AI??

Generally I take the equivalent of $300 in Pesos. We use the ATM's to replenish. I would advise not to carry $1400 or whatever $1000 sterling works out to.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How much spending money do you take when AI??

I think for 2 weeks $1000 is plenty. But think about excursions run around $100/pp depending on what it is, my husband dives so that's pretty pricey, we plan to go the Whale Shark excursion next month and that runs almost $400, I like my massages, and a few dinners/ drinks out. Just plan out any extras and you should be ok! Have a great vacation!

st austell cornwall
Level Contributor
173 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much spending money do you take when AI??

Hi maegan

We normally book are trips on line before we go and pay in advance, then work out roughly how much you are going to put aside for tipping.

Set aside departure tax which is cheaper if you pay in pesos and not sterling.

Then all is left is to work out general spending money ie eating out,drinks and shopping.

WE all ways find this helps us to budget.

Cheers dave

nottingham england
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How much spending money do you take when AI??

Coco bongos is a must do you will have a great time and that's $65 each.