We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can anyone compare Reef Playacar vs IB Tucan/Quetzal?

Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
761 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Can anyone compare Reef Playacar vs IB Tucan/Quetzal?

My mom, daughter, myself and possibly a few friends are planning an April girls getaway. Not sure if there is spring break activity in either or both - I have been to Reef Playacar (loved it) and picked the Tucan/Quetzal because my daughter would love the jungle feel like she did at the Playacar. Can anyone compare the 2 resorts? I know the Tucan/Quetzal is big compared to Reef, but otherwise?

Also, does spring break ever get into Playacar? I'd change trip dates just to avoid it, if so. My first ever trip to Cancun was in March of 2002 and it was just awful having to deal with all that.

Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
761 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can anyone compare Reef Playacar vs IB Tucan/Quetzal?

Bump

Okanagan, BC
Level Contributor
269 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can anyone compare Reef Playacar vs IB Tucan/Quetzal?

I have stayed at the Reef and really enjoyed it. Spring break hits everywhere to some degree. Review the policies on a resorts website for their regulations regarding "spring breakers". Some resorts will not book them at all, some have age restrictions, and some are full on party. I have found that spring breakers generally gravitate to Cancun, however in addition to US and Canadian spring breakers, the Mexican spring holiday also brings large groups within about 1 month of the traditional spring break period of March/April.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can anyone compare Reef Playacar vs IB Tucan/Quetzal?

Hi Gina - I'm hoping to take a trip with my 3 daughters who are 25, 23 and 21 and am also considering the Playacar area. I've never taken my girls on a trip and one of them graduates from university next year so thought that would be fun after graduation (end of April). What dates are you looking at? Trying to find a place where you can put 4 aduilts in a room which seems to be available at the Viva Wyndam and Iberostar T/Q but not at the Reef. I've been to the Sandos Playacar next door to the Iberostar T/Q and thought the Iberostar looked really nice - keeping my fingers crossed that prices will come down because right now they're way too expensive :(

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
538 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Can anyone compare Reef Playacar vs IB Tucan/Quetzal?

I've been to both the Reef and IB Tucan. Yes, the main difference is that the IB is a whole lot larger -- although in order to get to your rooms from the lobby (or back to the lobby from your rooms) you do walk through some jungle at the Reef.

There are a lot of animals at the IB, so if your daughter has never seen the agoutis, peacocks, monkeys, etc -- it may be fun for her to stay here. I don't know - the novelty of it wore of for me, within a couple of days. And those peacocks are LOUD, as are some of the other animals. They have roosters, as well. We traveled with a group of 6 couples, and almost all of us were awakened far earlier than we wanted to be, because of the jungle sounds, LOL.

I guess it depends what matters to you - and what your plans are. If I had to pick from the two, after being at both - if I had to choose one to go back to just between these two - I'd choose the Reef. BUT, I'd eat dinner a LOT in Playa del Carmen - which is easy to do from the Reef, because it is the closest Playacar resort to the town of Playa.

There are more dinner options at IB, but you only get a limited amount of ala carte, so you'd be eating buffet most of the time, breakfast lunch and dinner -- so even though its bigger with more restaurants....

But again, it depends on if you want to hang mostly at the resort, or go into town a few days. If I was planning on going into town a few times, I'd definitely stay at the Reef. But honestly, IB didn't appeal to me. Some people love it, I'm not one of them. My DH didn't care for it either.

I wouldn't worry about spring break in Playa. It just never gets like Cancun, ever. We don't mind spring break in Cancun -- other than taking the bus. That was a little big obnoxious, even for us. We're old - but we still like to party, LOL But these were CHILDREN, getting on the bus, completely and throughly stupid drunk. Ok, they may have been 18 - but to me, they are children -- and I don't know what kind of parents let their kids go roaming around Cancun at age 18. (Besides, I didn't even get MY first trip to Cancun until I was 39. And yes, that trip I was probably as stupid drunk as the spring breakers, LOL)

But no -- spring break is going to be long and spread out this year, anyway. So don't bother changing dates, I would say. The spring break kids you may run into in Playa will be mostly kids traveling with their parents, so they tend to be on better behavior. : )

Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
761 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can anyone compare Reef Playacar vs IB Tucan/Quetzal?

Thanks for your advice!

Momluvstorun, I wonder if a junior suite or something of the sort would allow 4 adults. My daughter is still a child so I haven't run into the problem of having to look for a single room for 4 adults yet but it would be good to know what you find out. I can tell you, though, that at the Reef the rooms are pretty small and it would be totally uncomfortable for 4 adults in the room at the same time. There were 3 of us in a room along with my daughter at the end of May and it was not the most ideal situation, although we were rarely all in the room at the same time except to sleep.

SunnyFace, thank you for your input! I am kicking around the idea of splitting time between both resorts because I made such good friends at the Reef that I'd like to visit them for a few days too. I have a feeling my daughter will be the first to wake us in the morning rather than the roosters lol. Do you have any suggestions for another AI resort other than the Tucan/Quetzal? And as far as Spring Break, I'll never get the images out of my head of all those kids totally drunk and puking all over the sidewalks, running and screaming through the halls...you get the idea.

philly
Level Contributor
291 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Can anyone compare Reef Playacar vs IB Tucan/Quetzal?

Gina, don't know the ages of your group but the Tucan was hands down the most boring resort we have ever stayed. Other than the grounds it has nothing going for it.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,750 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can anyone compare Reef Playacar vs IB Tucan/Quetzal?

Totally agree with Loves Playa, IB was very dull.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,750 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can anyone compare Reef Playacar vs IB Tucan/Quetzal?

Totally agree with Loves Playa, IB was very dull. Maybe Sandos or one of the RIU's. I've never stayed at Sandos, but RIU Yucatan was great and also a lot of wildlife including monkeys.

Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
761 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can anyone compare Reef Playacar vs IB Tucan/Quetzal?

Thanks, all. I've been to the Yucatan on a solo trip, it was fun and I liked the night show but I usually like to return to a place if I find the hotel exceptional AND the staff. The hotel wasn't really exceptional, and while I did see animals there, I also saw them when we stayed at the Tequila but the staff didn't really wow me.

Our ages are mid-30s for most of us, my daughter will be 1 1/2 years old and my mom 65 years old. Can someone explain what was boring about the Tucan/Quetzal? I enjoy talking to the staff mostly, I speak fluent Spanish and really like to make friends. Were the night shows boring? I'm just trying to get a feel from everyone. I've read the reviews, just want some other input. Thanks

10. Re: Can anyone compare Reef Playacar vs IB Tucan/Quetzal?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2014, 05:18