We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Hideaway or Blue Diamond Riviera Maya ?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
TORONTO
Level Contributor
234 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Royal Hideaway or Blue Diamond Riviera Maya ?

Good morning folks,

Currently evaluating a ten night stay for early September. At the moment it’s a 90% lock on the Royal Hideaway. However, another resort has been piquing my interest, the Blue Diamond Riviera Maya.

Both seem to be what we are looking for, a small “boutique” hotel, quiet, with high satisfaction ratings

It seems that the RH has the edge in food and beach, whereas the Blue Diamonds accommodations are of a higher calibre

At the moment, the Blue Diamond is approx $31 per night per person more expensive than the RH ( or an extra $ 620 total for the stay) for the entry level rooms at both

For those of you who may have stayed at both, is the Blue Diamond worth the premium in your opinion, or would you choose the RH?

Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated

Thanks

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Hideaway or Blue Diamond Riviera Maya ?

I would like to try Blue Diamond as well, for the right price. If it's pricing higher than Royal Hideaway, then I personally would choose RH for the much better beach, good location and guaranteed exceptional food and service. Blue Diamond's rooms do look stunning, but I understand they can be quite a walk from the beach too.

TORONTO
Level Contributor
234 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Hideaway or Blue Diamond Riviera Maya ?

Thanks mykel, I'm leaning that way myself.It would have to be at break even or better I think to sway my decision. I read your review on RH, amongst others, and am very excited to give this place a try.

Thanks again

Saint James, New...
Level Contributor
143 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Hideaway or Blue Diamond Riviera Maya ?

We stayed at RH in March. It was outstanding. I can't compare and actually wasn't even aware of Blue Diamond until this post! Sure looks pretty wonderful as well. We are planning a last minute trip for next month and I was decided on RH as it was a perfect trip for us. I just had a look at prices between the two and Blue Diamond is a couple hundred more total.

I will let you what we decide. Hoping you get more comments. :)

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
121 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Hideaway or Blue Diamond Riviera Maya ?

Would you consider a split stay? 5 nights at one and 5 at the other? We really liked RH and its proximity to PDC, but wonder if it wouldn't become stale after 7 days, let alone ten? We felt great after a five night stay there, but would have become restless if there for much longer.

Edited: 16 August 2013, 01:19
TORONTO
Level Contributor
234 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal Hideaway or Blue Diamond Riviera Maya ?

Thought about a split stay, however the best deals out of Toronto are full package vacations, which dont allow for splits. When you try and price the vacation " al a carte" it becomes quite cost prohibitive.

I do get what you are saying about the length of time in one place. Both my wife and I work high stress jobs in the electronics manufacturing industry, and nothing sounds better to us right now than 10 days of shutting down and decompressing :)

ny
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal Hideaway or Blue Diamond Riviera Maya ?

I truly do not think that things would become stale after 10 days.I believe that RH will provide you with the decompression you are seeking. The food, service, and beach are all superb.Feel free to read any of my many reviews.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,672 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal Hideaway or Blue Diamond Riviera Maya ?

We are staying at Blue Diamond for a few nights in September as part of a multi-resort trip and are really looking forward to it - I do not think I could spend 10 nights there though

RH does not appeal to us as the rooms have too much of an old style feel to them for our tastes

Have you looked at El Dorado Maroma???

Feel free to check out my recent review which has a link to a large photo album for it

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Royal Hideaway or Blue Diamond Riviera Maya ?

Not sure I can be of any help here, but for what they are worth, these are some random thoughts. PLEASE understand that these reflect OUR preferences and experiences, which certainly likely differ from some others.

First of all: Hi Grimace! I think we are distant neighbours. LOL

We have been to the Riviera Maya about 2 dozen times over the last 20 years, staying at various resorts, some more than once. We have always had a great time. Have to say though, that Royal Hideaway has become our resort of choice, hopefully returning in Nov. for our 6th visit.

We now always go for 2 weeks at a time, and a split stay is just not for us. Like you, my husband has a very stressful job, and needs that time to decompress!! We have never found ourselves getting bored or restless. Lots of opportunity to venture out for a bit of variety if we choose.

We have not stayed at Blue Diamond. Although the rooms look lovely, the distance to the beach, among other things, keep us from considering it.

We HAVE stayed at El Dorado Maroma, and while we had a good vacation, I don't think we would return unless the price was CONSIDERABLY lower than what we paid. We found the food to be less than stellar, and the beach was disappointing . While the sand was lovely for lounging, and the water looked lovely, it was NOT possible to swim in it, or even immerse my body enough to just bob up and down. Waded right out to the sand whales, and the water never got past mid calf, and I'm just a bit under 5 ft. 3.

Flipflop_man, just wondering when you stayed at Royal Hideaway, and what room type/location you had. Not quite sure what you mean by "old style".

Grimace, our last 2 trips we went with Air Transat out of Toronto, and the package to Royal Hideaway had some pretty nice perks, because RH is one of their "Distinction Collection". We really appreciated the included private transfer to & from RH, as well as access to the VIP lounge at both airports.

Wherever you wind up going, I know you will have a great time! And not long to wait now either!!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Royal Hideaway or Blue Diamond Riviera Maya ?

I don't think FFM has stayed at RH. And I'm surprised that the room decor would inhibit him from trying it out, given that the rooms at Excellence Riviera Cancun, while larger than those at RH, seem a little dated in the photos I've seen, and that's a resort he returns to regularly.

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,771 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Royal Hideaway or Blue Diamond Riviera Maya ?

jotOntario, I'm looking at Air Transat package in March out of Calgary and their price is excellent compared to some of the other land only + air I'm seeing. AND AT includes a couple of games of golf across the street. I'm sure I could leave my wife enjoying the beach and drinks while I got 18 in. lol