We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Insurance - advice for a novice.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Insurance - advice for a novice.

I have travelled all over with my parents as a child and teen, but hubby and I are just starting to venture further afield as a couple. We aren't really sure what we are doing! Have asked our friends and family this question, but who will know more than you hardened travellers I figured?

We are about to book our travel insurance (flying 21/09). What factors should we consider when picking? (The clearer answers the better please!)

I have been on a comparison website and the best rate for worldwide annual cover (we are going to Paris in November so it makes sense) is 35.99£. It offers £200 maximum excess. 10million for medical. 1500 for baggage loss. And 1500 for cancellation. Does this sound good/bad/neither?

What should we be looking out for/taking into consideration?

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,503 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Insurance - advice for a novice.

My advice would be.... do not go for the cheapest and ensure you use a reputable company. The cover from what you describe looks pretty standard.

Check what activities are included (water sports, climbing). Ensure they match what you will be doing. There are usually alot of exclusions.

My holiday insurance is with Direct Line as it comes with my house insurance. (never claimed though!)

Please read all the small print before you commit as it might be cheap for a reason!

Happy hunting!

birmingham,england
Level Contributor
350 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Insurance - advice for a novice.

Maega

agree with MiDziE cheapest is not always the best policy.(sorry for the pun)

on the other hand don't be ripped off either.

my annual policy costs 40.00

thomsons want 71 each!!

just read the small print is all i can advise

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Insurance - advice for a novice.

Thanks Midzie. My bank is offering some for £13 a month for both of us inc RAC breakdown and airport lounge entry. Need to check the fine print with them. There were 91 activities included in the insurance policy it was with protect your bubble?

Jph, thanks. And we will read the fine print. Need to do a little more research but just wondered if there was anything particular that I needed to be aware of.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,762 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Insurance - advice for a novice.

Hi

As has been said look at a good comparison website and decide exactly what you need

We always take annual cover but one which excludes the USA as we are not likely to be going there and that lowers the premium a bit

Also if you have any medical conditions you need to declare these if you want them to be covered

Finally, make sure you check to see if the companies you already have insurance with - car, household, etc offer travel insurance as some companies offer multiply policy discounts

Edited: 16 August 2013, 11:51
birmingham,england
Level Contributor
350 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Insurance - advice for a novice.

Maegan

depends what you are planning on doing.

some policies do not include'dangerous sports' each company has their own take on this and it will tell you the exclusions in the small print.

13 a month seems a bit dear to me TBH.

also for a couple of extra pounds you may be able to get the excess payments down, it really is up to you how much you are prepared to pay/not pay.

ours came with a 75 excess on certain items. for 5 quid extra the excess was waived.

sorry i cant put the pound sign before the figures. stupid work computer won't let me.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,532 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Insurance - advice for a novice.

I rarely bother buying cancellation/interruption insurance or anything that covers lost luggage etc. I have carefully considered the risks and the associated cost with respect to this sort of thing and have decided the cost of the insurance coverage isn't worth it to me. Remember though, everyone's risk tolerance is different and YMMV.

Travel MEDICAL coverage is a whole different thing and I wouldn't dream of leaving home without that.

essex
Level Contributor
195 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel Insurance - advice for a novice.

All lot will depend on your own personal circumstances. Health is the main factor. With regards to excess on personal items this again depends on the value of items you will be taking. We found the Post Office insurance comes out best on most elements. By the way. Not standard cover which is the only one you can buy over the counter. I think its called Premium only by phone or online.

Aylmer, Canada
Level Contributor
2,205 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel Insurance - advice for a novice.

We get travel ins. with our MasterCard. It's an annual fee and covers both of us, and covers just about any problem you can think of. It's good for as many 21 day trips as you can pack into a year, so I think it's a good deal at about $125. Cdn. for both of us. I think Visa offers a similar plan.

Chicago
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel Insurance - advice for a novice.

You're getting good advice, but I just want to echo the importance of medical insurance. Also, medical evacuation insurance is crucial. The possibility that you might actually use it is slim, but I do personally know of 2 different people who had to use a med vac and insurance made the difference, not only financially, but in the speed that they were able to get help.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,417 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel Insurance - advice for a novice.

I am with the ones who say only medical insurance. In many years of travel I haven´t bought the other and figure I am way ahead now.