We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Minimum Age for "Adults Only"

America, The...
Level Contributor
8,052 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Minimum Age for "Adults Only"

I know that Royal Hideaway's minimum age is 13 and El Dorado Maroma's minimum age is 16...

(here's the link to their fact sheet for any doubters: http://www.eldoradosparesorts.com/pdf/FactSheet_El_Dorado_Maroma.pdf).

Does anyone know of any other AO resorts that have a minimum age that is actually below 18? I am looking for a place for Christmas and the youngest in our group is 17.

I am really just hoping for factual info about resorts; so if you are feeling tempted to give your opinion on whether you want us to stay at your favorite AO resort or whether you think we'll have a good time, I promise to read it, but not to find it helpful ;-). We had a great and quiet time, perfect for our family at EDM last Christmas, when there were also other family groups with older (quiet) teens traveling. We are thinking of RH, but wanted to see if there were other options. Beautiful beach and upscale, non-party resort is what we prefer. We'd stay at Grand Velas, but it's out of our price range.

Thanks!!

birmingham,england
Level Contributor
345 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Minimum Age for "Adults Only"

hi

if you look at the link it gives you age restrictions on various hotels. was surprised to see some at 21+

www.si-mexico.com/adults_only_resorts.htm

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,525 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Minimum Age for "Adults Only"

Personally, I would think most teenagers would be pretty bored at the likes of RH & EDM

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Minimum Age for "Adults Only"

Wow 13??? Kind of defeats the purpose of "Adults only".

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,428 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Minimum Age for "Adults Only"

I'm pretty sure Royal Playa del Carmen is 16 years +

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,525 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Minimum Age for "Adults Only"

TacoPants

"Wow 13??? Kind of defeats the purpose of "Adults only""

Fully agree

What also makes me laugh is Zoetry allow children but their parents need to pay the "full" adult price for them

birmingham,england
Level Contributor
345 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Minimum Age for "Adults Only"

lisa

according to the list I linked the royal playa del carmen is 21+

America, The...
Level Contributor
8,052 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Minimum Age for "Adults Only"

Jph,

Thanks so much for the link! Just the kind of thing I was looking for. Since every teenager is different, I'm not trying to advise anyone else on where to take his or her teen here. As I said, mine had a fabulous time at EDM!

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,811 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Minimum Age for "Adults Only"

That link also shows the Royal Hideaway as 18 but as the OP said it's 13. That's what I thought but couldn't find it on the RHP website.I believe they've changed their website from last time I looked. Maybe they've increased the age???

birmingham,england
Level Contributor
345 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Minimum Age for "Adults Only"

reviewermaryland

no problem.

don't know how up to date it is but it does say 2013 at the bottom lol.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Minimum Age for "Adults Only"

The new information we were sent by the Royal (for cancun and PDC) for the upcoming winter season 2013/2014 says 16+.

Edited: 18 August 2013, 19:20