We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hurricane/Tropical storm warning

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
172 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
hurricane/Tropical storm warning

As someone who is unfamiliar with hurricanes/tropical storms but who has started to look at it, I was wondering how long does it take to actually turn into a hurricane or tropical storm.

I have been watching the hurricane center and there's no indication of any activity at the moment.

We are heading to Playacar next week and are just wondering if a tropical storm erupts somewhere out in the Atlantic how long does it take to hit land.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,675 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hurricane/Tropical storm warning

Depends on how far out. You can look at historical tracks and they make have the dates on them.

Example:

nhc.noaa.gov/data/tracks/tracks-at-2005.png

Plus you can have one pop up closer to the Yucatan and it could be just a few days.

Frankly, just monitor it but do not lose sleep over it. The odds are extremely in your favor of a storm NOT impacting while you are there.

Edited: 24 August 2013, 02:47
Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,722 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: hurricane/Tropical storm warning

"I have been watching the hurricane center and there's no indication of any activity at the moment."

Yep. Ain't it grand? :-)

In virtually every case, you'll have time and can monitor things. This is in part because in virtually no cases does a storm system both strengthen to dangerous levels and adopt/maintain a course towards the area you happen to be in at the time.

Steve

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
172 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hurricane/Tropical storm warning

Thanks for your replies. I was under the impression that they all started way out in the Atlantic so they could be monitored. I didn't realise that one could pop up closer than that.

So what you're saying is that one could pop up very close and that it would hit land very soon thereafter.

Here's hoping that nothing will pop up close in the next two weeks.

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hurricane/Tropical storm warning

The Mexican officials announced today: No storms are allowed in the Riviera Maya in the next two weeks...maybe longer.

Arriba!

SeaBass

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,675 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hurricane/Tropical storm warning

"So what you're saying is that one could pop up very close and that it would hit land very soon thereafter."

Correct. Look at TS Fernand.

wunderground.com/hurricane/atlantic/2013/tro…

Do not let a case like this cause you to lose sleep.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,394 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hurricane/Tropical storm warning

I won´t be losing any sleep here.

The strangest thing to happen to me was when Hurricane Dean came in 2007 . I was watching it in Cozumel and since it appeared to be heading toward us, I decided to head for Bacalar to a friends house. As luck would have it, when I arrived, they were there waiting for me because Dean was heading directly for the area. They took me to their home in Chetumal where they have a generator and we rode it out there.

7. Re: hurricane/Tropical storm warning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2014, 06:22