We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water Proof Bag for D SLR while snorkeling

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Water Proof Bag for D SLR while snorkeling

We are taking our trip to Playa del Carmen in November and I plan on bringing my D SLR with me. There are some day trips we plan to do that I want to take my camera with me but these day trips also involve water at some point. Example: We plan to go to Tulum and I want to bring my nice camera to take pictures of the ruins , after we plan to possibly snorkel on the beach there. We will not be with a tour group and would be using public transport so our things would need to stay with us . I'm afraid to leave my nice camera in a book bag sitting on beach as we snorkel that it may get stolen. The best thing I can think of is to have it on me in the water(submerged enough to snorkel). I found these: www.thewaterproofstore.com/aloksakmulti.html and am thinking maybe putting camera and other id's cash phones in these bags then putting those into another semi water resistant book bag (probably would not keep water out which is why I would need the pouches in the link above)

What do you think? would this keep my camera and phones safe?

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water Proof Bag for D SLR while snorkeling

First there is very average snorkelling in Tulum except by inexpensive open boat tours arranged on demand . The camera could just stay in the boat . If you would just want to swim for fun and together you have more of a problem .

If you want better snorkelling go back to Akumal to snorkel and rent a locker for your gear from several places .

Even cameras designed for underwater use are susceptible to water infiltration damage so I wouldn't trust my camera in a bag . I would and have trusted things with new friends and fellow travelers in the past .

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Water Proof Bag for D SLR while snorkeling

We would not be on a boat to leave it on. We are staying at the Occidental xcaret and would be taking public bus to Tulum. Even if we dont snorkel there we would most likely end up going for a little swim.. I guess if its a swim and not snorkel I could keep and eye on my bag if I left it on the beach? We also plan on visiting Cozumel, I think they have good snorkeling there, do they have locker places? Havent looked into Akumal yet but will . All our day trips would be on our own and public transportation.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,107 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water Proof Bag for D SLR while snorkeling

If you want to snorkel on Cozumel, plan on a boat trip. One of several is at Playa Palancar.

http://www.buceopalancar.com/index_en.html

There is shore snorkeling but why settle for a lesser experience?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water Proof Bag for D SLR while snorkeling

I would buy an inexpensive waterproof camera to take on excusions & leave the DSLR in the room safe and use it only on days where you can keep it with you. I wouldn't trust a bag to my expensive camera. Water damage will wreck not just the camera but photos already stores on the memory card.

pittsburgh pa
Level Contributor
67 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water Proof Bag for D SLR while snorkeling

Try aquapac or dicapac. You can get waterproof bags made for your camera. Check ebay or leisurepro.

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,261 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Water Proof Bag for D SLR while snorkeling

Or look into the KYSS bag. I use mine at the beach and lock it around a palm tree (or any other stationary object). It wouldn't stop a thief with a knife, but in public places (with other people milling about) it would be perfectly safe. I even left mine locked to a tree at Akumal Bay while we walked down to La Buena Vida so I wouldn't have to haul stuff with me on that mile roundtrip walk. No problems.

Edited: 28 August 2013, 11:21
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Water Proof Bag for D SLR while snorkeling

http://pacsafe.com/products

Gender neutral, nearly any configuration you can think of and all have internal wire mesh and are slash porof. Internal RFID blocking, and this would serve you well beyond your vacation for other tasks. Check them out. Very happy with mine.

Edited: 28 August 2013, 14:05
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Water Proof Bag for D SLR while snorkeling

Are there any lockers that we could rent in Cozumel and Akumal , that anyone could rent not just with tour groups?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Water Proof Bag for D SLR while snorkeling

awoo101, Akumal dive shop will rent you a locker & you can use their showers (although they are pretty dirty) for about $7 for the day.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
527 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Water Proof Bag for D SLR while snorkeling

I've used a DicaPac for my point and shoot with no issues, but I don't think I would trust it with my DSLR. I always have this same issue too. I want to take and use my nice camera, but it becomes so inconvenient to carry everywhere that I end up falling back on my small camera.