We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 more days till playacar,weather not looking good

st austell cornwall
Level Contributor
177 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
5 more days till playacar,weather not looking good

Hi we will be arriving at the rui playacar in 5 days time,keep on checking the weather forcast and it ain't looking good.

How accurate are these forecasts cos I hope there wrong,worked hard and saved all year for a holiday and would like to see some sun.

Come on weather be good to us,lets all think sun sun sun and hope positive thinking works

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
561 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 more days till playacar,weather not looking good

I don't bother looking at the weather forecasts anymore. When I've looked in the past, it invariably indicates rain everyday. In my experience I've found that it often rains at night or for a short period of time during the day. Showers roll in...it rains for 20 minutes then clears up. Don't sweat it, relax and have fun.

Heading down to VIM on 9/14.

Have a great trip!

Glenrothes, United...
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 more days till playacar,weather not looking good

Last year my mum was checking the weather when i was out there. She was convinced i had 2 weeks solid rain, couldnt be more of the opposite. 2 weeks glorious sunshine, burnt to a crisp. Rained for 5 minutes one night.

Edited: 07 September 2013, 18:27
Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 more days till playacar,weather not looking good

I wouldn't worry about it. I went to Mexico last october and the forecast said rain for almost everyday we were there, so like you i was freaking out a bit. In reality we had 2 showers which lasted 20 - 30 mins, one morning and one evening of heavy rain which lasted around 2 hours. The rest of the 2 weeks was lovely sunshine and clear blue skys.

I'm sure the weather will be fine and you'll have a great time!!!

Edmonton
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 more days till playacar,weather not looking good

I have come to learn about weather in the Caribbean that when the forecast says 100% chance of rain they are saying therer is a 100% chance it will rain that day, but not that it will be raining all day. It will start out reasonably clear, and the clouds will build thru the day and rain late afternoon/evening.

st austell cornwall
Level Contributor
177 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 more days till playacar,weather not looking good

Lets hope your all right,I plan to have a great time come rain or shine

But the sun makes you feel happier

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 more days till playacar,weather not looking good

we're off to playa del carmen Friday and worried about the rain ..fingers crossed for us both

st austell cornwall
Level Contributor
177 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 more days till playacar,weather not looking good

Dunphy47

Where in playa del Carmen are u staying we are at the riu playacar from Thursday,lets hope there's more sun than rain

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 more days till playacar,weather not looking good

We're also flying out Friday and hoping for sunshine :D

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 more days till playacar,weather not looking good

I went to Acapulco 7 years ago and the weather was predicting rain every day. We had a storm one night from maybe 9 PM to 1 AM. That was it. Beautiful weather the rest of the time. I'm convinced they say it will rain every day just to be safe.

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,088 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 more days till playacar,weather not looking good

We've lived in Playa 8 years now, and here's what we do regarding weather: During hurricane season, which runs June 1 to December 1, we check Dr. Jeff Masters' blog every day: www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/. Dr. Jeff is our "go to" weather guru for this area. By reading his blog you'll know if there is any storm activity heading towards this area. If there is, you can count on some rain or more, depending on what weather is coming towards us. He will also let you know, as he has done most recently, that there will be no storm activity in the near future (for example, as in right now, for at least a week).

That being said, September is probably the rainiest month of the year in normal times. We have been getting rain almost every night, and a little bit during the days. But this is the tropics. Rainstorms generally don't last very long. And once they pass, the skies are bright and sunny again.

And also, we will often have a bit of rain at one end of Playa and not the other. Or it may be raining in Akumal or Tulum but not in Playa--and vice versa.

So just be prepared for the occasional rain storms (and this includes mentally) and you'll be fine. Rain storms here are pretty cool, anyway, IOHO. :) Once it stops, you'll be back in business to enjoy your sunny vacation.

Have fun!

Tony & Cheri

Luna Blue Hotel