We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chichen Itza/Tulum in rain

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
630 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Chichen Itza/Tulum in rain

Leaving in about 30 days and seeing as though the weather has really not been cooperating lately, I was wondering how difficult it would be to do either of these tours in the rain. If anyone has any experience with this, please advise. Thanks!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,731 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chichen Itza/Tulum in rain

As long as you have an umbrella and it isn't really windy, it wouldn't be a problem. Tulum is right on the coast, so the wind would probably be the worst there. But in a month, you will be well into October and I think tropical storm/hurricane season is winding down then anyway.

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Chichen Itza/Tulum in rain

No real problem. Tulum is very small so it won't take long to see. The only warning...both are built from a limestone type rock. When it gets wet the surface can be very slippery. Take extra care.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
40,910 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Chichen Itza/Tulum in rain

Don't forget about the Coba and Ek Balam Ruins

It could be raining in Playa but not Tulum so you never know

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chichen Itza/Tulum in rain

Also, we carry those disposable light weight ponchos with us. They fit in your pocket. You can buy them before you go and they only cost about a dollar or two for each.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Chichen Itza/Tulum in rain

I've been to Chichen Itza a couple of times in the rain. Here's my advice based on that:

Light rain, no problem. If it's sprinkling or drizzling, enjoy. But you are in a tropical zone, and there are blinding downpours. If it's raining heavy, know that you can get really drenched in a short time. These downpours tend to be brief, though.

Lightning. When I hear thunder, I immediately depart the archaeological zone, as I would any other open area. While lightning strikes are rare, people have been killed or injured. A couple of years ago two men were hospitalized after lightning struck the tree they were under during a storm. And back in the day lightning killed an archaeologist who for some goofy reason thought being atop the big pyramid El Castillo during a storm was a good idea. The last time I was at Ek Balam I was atop the pyramid and heard thunder. Who knew I could scurry down those stairs so fast.

Have a good trip!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,209 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chichen Itza/Tulum in rain

¨Also, we carry those disposable light weight ponchos with us.¨

And if you don´t have one, it always amazing me that when it starts to rain, poncho vendors will appear out of nowhere. I have had it happen in Merida, San Cristobal and various ruins sites. Who knows where they hiding before the rain started!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
630 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chichen Itza/Tulum in rain

Thanks everyone!!!

8. Re: Chichen Itza/Tulum in rain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2014, 05:17