We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchanging ££s for pesos

London, United...
Level Contributor
215 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Exchanging ££s for pesos

Just wondering if its best to exchange here in England, in Mexico or to withdraw from an ATM once im there (my bank doesn't charge for this)? Thanks

uk
Level Contributor
901 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchanging ££s for pesos

i think its best just getting them there,we did twic e last year

Spruce Grove, Canada
Level Contributor
327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchanging ££s for pesos

We withdraw from an ATM in Mexico. Just make sure it's an ATM that dispenses pesos and not USD.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,692 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchanging ££s for pesos

And that the ATM is in a bank or affiliated with one

e.g. HSBC, Scotia, Bancomer

ATMs in little shops often will scam you

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,674 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchanging ££s for pesos

I would order and get them before you go so that when you arrive you can relax and enjoy your holiday rather than looking for a cashline.

You may require money whenever you arrive for a bottle of water to drink on bus when u arrive, tip for the porter, first drink etc.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,245 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exchanging ££s for pesos

Currency is always priced best in the country that uses it. It takes a few minutes at most to stop at an ATM. Most likely there will be a wait for the shuttle van anyway.

I also always suggest using a bank affiliated machine, but the All Point machines in OXXO stores all over Mexico are fine - it's the same ATM used by Amalgamated Bank customers in the US.

You will likely pay a conversion fee with your bank and a fee to use the ATM machine, but you usually come out ahead compared to exchange booths.

suitcaseready.com

Livingston, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exchanging ££s for pesos

We checked the atm yesterday and we got a better rate at home before we left - not much but every little helps! My bank charges are very high so always get before we leave.

Check out www.travelmoneymax.com for a whole load of rates for collection and delivery.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,379 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exchanging ££s for pesos

Just get the money before you go. It'll give you more time to holiday!

I always use www.travelex.co.uk and pick up at the airport. Its so much easier.

8. Re: Exchanging ££s for pesos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2014, 05:19