We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help family vacation over New Years

Stillwater, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Help family vacation over New Years

Looking for a nice resort that won't break the bank. Important things nice beach, clean resort, nice pool, good food. Kids range from 8 to 16. We have stayed at Riu Palace Riveria Maya, Royal PDC, and Iberostar Quetzal as a couple but haven't traveled to Playa with children.

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help family vacation over New Years

I would look at the resorts in Playacar...Iberostar or Riu would be my choice...if you can get past the beach the Gran Porto (sister resoer and family friendly to RPDC) is a great hotel in a great location as well.

Stillwater, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help family vacation over New Years

Which Iberostar or Riu would you recommend?

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help family vacation over New Years

You have already stayed at some of them based on your post..I would stay at the Tucan/Quetzal as we really like the product that Iberostar has. The Riu Yucatan is family friendly and brand new renovated and just reopened at the end of July I believe was the date. If you loved the Royal like we do then you will love the Gran Porto as well as it is the family friendly version. It does not have the best beach but it more than makes up for it in service and food quality. We love it there and the location is unbeatable.

We are back for our 4th year in a row thru New Years at the Royal Playa Del Carmen this year again !! Can't wait.

Edited: 23 September 2013, 17:41
Stillwater, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help family vacation over New Years

We really enjoyed RPDC except for beach. I know kids will want beach. Have you stayed at any other Iberostars in Riveria are?

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help family vacation over New Years

Yep at the Paraiso complex with 5 resorts in 1. The 2 with the most cost effective will be the Beach and the Del Mar followed by the Lindo then the Paraiso Maya and the Adults Only Grand. The complex is great with a central shopping area with a creperie which is included in the AI. Great resort complex but 25-30 minutes from Playa between Playa and Cancun. Nice beach huge pools kids will have a blast here.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help family vacation over New Years

Have you considered the one of the Barcelo's? We're going to the Barcelo Maya Tropical end of Feb and it gets great reviews for families.

Stillwater, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help family vacation over New Years

I don't remember which Barcelo we read reviews on but it seemed the one we looked at didn't get as high of a rating as Iberostar. I will look at the one you mentioned. Also considered Cano or Cozumel.

8. Re: Help family vacation over New Years

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2014, 05:19