We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Damp and musty sleeping rooms at the Riu Palace Mexico

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hollis, NH
Level Contributor
227 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Damp and musty sleeping rooms at the Riu Palace Mexico

Is it true that the Riu Palace Mexico's rooms are very damp, musty and that many times the bedding feels very wet? Also heard that when you walk into the lobby it has a very strange odor.

Hope it's not true........

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,773 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Damp and musty sleeping rooms at the Riu Palace Mexico

Probably thinking of some years ago when smoking was permitted in the lobby. Walk in the door and you could smell cigar smoke. After the no-smoking law we never smelt it and also after the renos, nope.

Been there 19 weeks over 10 years and never felt bedding damp and we were in all three floors. Ground floor there might be a bit more humidity due to the vegetation in front of your patio, also could see a few more bugs.

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Damp and musty sleeping rooms at the Riu Palace Mexico

Maybe during a heavy rain. Add in high heat. But that would be the extent.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Damp and musty sleeping rooms at the Riu Palace Mexico

I think you also have to manage your room when its hot and humid out. Every room weve had at every resort has been damp until we play with the ac and get it set right.

I think therell always be a musty smell around too...love it when we get off the plane and smell it. Although did have one nasty room that was very bad at the riu palace riviera maya one year...i think that may have been due to it being a ground floor unit. We changed to an upper floor unit and it was fine.

So id say if you are concerned about it ask for a room on the upper floors and work your ac

Edited: 24 September 2013, 03:16
Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Damp and musty sleeping rooms at the Riu Palace Mexico

Agree with the CDL. A musty smell is everywhere in Riviera Maya especially during the wet season - less so during the drier months. Last month was very wet there and it is still raining on and off and the humidity should be really high now, so if the aircond, is not strong it might not be able to keep up with evacuating an extra water. Talk to the reception to get de-humifider, some resorts have them. I stayed at the ground floor room once during the rain and the bedding felt wet. Could not be there at all, switched the room. So in general all grounds rooms at all resorts now would feel damp and wet unless there is a very good new aircond. there.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,375 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Damp and musty sleeping rooms at the Riu Palace Mexico

I also take a plug in air freshener to "mull" the damp smell which in all honesty, is not that bad.

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,773 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Damp and musty sleeping rooms at the Riu Palace Mexico

When we were in New Orleans eary June a few years ago it was very hot and humid - both agreed smelled exactly like when they opened the plane door at Cancun airport. Love it.

Bryans Road
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Damp and musty sleeping rooms at the Riu Palace Mexico

Make sure you don't set your A/C too low, and don't leave patio doors open if it's really humid out. We've stayed there about 12 times and love it. We take air freshener (not just to Mexico). Enjoy, the staff is top shelf!

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Damp and musty sleeping rooms at the Riu Palace Mexico

When I go to a tropical climate I take Damp Rid with me. I always take the kind that comes in a box that I can hang in the closet to help keep my clothes dry. They also make Damp Rid in a container that you can put in the room. Helps to take the humidity out of the air.

California
Level Contributor
302 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Damp and musty sleeping rooms at the Riu Palace Mexico

Our room in PDC, Cancun, Vallarta, Mascota Jal., all smelled this way. And some more then others. I couldn't get over the smell but knew it wasn't avoidable because of the climate.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
41 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Damp and musty sleeping rooms at the Riu Palace Mexico

We stayed at the Riu Palace Riviera Maya the past two years. The Occidental in Aruba smelled the same way in 2007. It might have something to do with being by the OCEAN! - LOL. I guess the intensity of the smell all depends on your sniffer. I love it because it smells like a beach getaway! Every house that we have stayed in at The Outer Banks in North Carolina had a similar smell. Not quite as powerful, but that beachy/musty smell was there. Our sheets were never wet, so I'm not sure what that is all about. We did run our air conditioner all of the time, so maybe that's the solution? I'm not sure about the "odor" in the lobby. Maybe someone passed gas?