We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dollars

birmingham,england
Level Contributor
345 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Dollars

Both on the riu website and on my Thomson site, they say dollars are not accepted, ok fair enough,

So why are the renova. Spa and Thomson excursions priced in $US ??

It's like having goods priced in € in the uk and only accepting £

The most annoying bit is that they actually accept $US too!!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,721 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dollars

Riu front desk doesnt change usd or take usd as payment.

Thomsons is a completely different company as are the excursions.

Riu is in the right here imo.

birmingham,england
Level Contributor
345 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dollars

CDL

That's not what I said, I said the renova spa advertises in dollars US. And accepts dollars US as payment.

Thomsons website advises to take pesos, so why do they advertise and take dollar payment

As the spa is part of riu then surely they should advertise and accept pesos only?

As Thomsons advise to only take pesos they too should do the same ?

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,606 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dollars

Thomsons is repeatedly noted here as being literally years behind on their info wrt currency. Probably best to disregard anything they say on the matter.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dollars

Thomsons advises to take pesos to DR also, also confusing travelers going there as well. USD are widely accepted, traveled many times and my money was never turned away!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,721 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dollars

Renova spa is not riu front desk...again like thomsons or excursions, renova is run separetly from riu but is at the resort.

And if i book on riu . com theyll show a price in usd but ill pay pesos at check in on my cc.

Really not that big a deal...you are traveling to mexico from euro so use pesos.

Edited: 28 September 2013, 18:13
B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,799 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dollars

Rius will take US$ via credit card or travellers cheques, just not cash. It's a legal thing. As CDL says Renova is not Riu front desk, nor are they or Scuba Caribe, water sports company on site, part of the Riu organization. They just rent space and sell their services. US$ are widely accepted in this part of Mexico, not so much in some other areas.

birmingham,england
Level Contributor
345 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dollars

I thought the renova spa was part of the riu, although I never mentioned front desk.

but as it is space let by riu to renova then they surely should make them toe the riu line and not accept $ cash??

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,799 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dollars

Accept it or let if ruin your vacation. Rius do not accept US cash, some companies do. You'll probably find also that the excursion operators advertise in US$ but if you're paying with cash they'll only accept maybe $100. But they, like Rius, will take credit card. And it will be converted to pesos and then back to Sterling when it reaches your bank. Also, if you rent a computer while you're there it's an outside company and they'll take pesos or US cash.

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,606 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dollars

"but as it is space let by riu to renova then they surely should make them toe the riu line and not accept $ cash??"

I don't think that follows. If it's a separate business, they wouldn't have anything to say about which forms of payment can be accepted.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,721 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dollars

"Front desk" = the only place at riu where an official riu financial transaction takes place