We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be carefull with luggage

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
middelsex
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Be carefull with luggage

we have upped our check in weight with thomson from 20kg to 25kg , but only when reading through the paper work I found that the max weight of any case is a max of 23kg , I rang to check , I was told I may use 2 cases up to a max weigth of a combined weight of 25kg . will now taking 3 cases with a combined weight of 50kg max for both of us.

Buffalo, New York
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Be carefull with luggage

50kg! Are you packing for a month? That's a lot of swimsuits and flip flops!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Be carefull with luggage

We went for a week and packed about 90 lbs in two checked bags ( a little over 40 kg) between my husband and I. LOL Wore everything that we took too. Also had a carry on. I can see how you could easily hit that. Between toiletries, shoes, cameras, etc, it adds up pretty quick.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Be carefull with luggage

Scuba gear....

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,772 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Be carefull with luggage

When you go for 2 weeks or longer and stay at a resort that requires you to dress up for dinner it doesn't take long to fill those 50 lb each allowance suitcases. Lots of shoes for the ladies and several pairs of long pants and dress shoes for the guys.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Be carefull with luggage

Very true-maybe substitute a pair of dress shoes for dress sandals and you can leave heavier outerwear (jackets) at home and bring light weight sweaters/wraps .I've learned over the years that I use to bring more beck than I've worn. I hope these couple things are enough to get back in max. weight. If you haven't already done so, pack the trial size versions of lotions, potions, etc. Bring larger containers of suncreme in checked bags.

Where you heaviest sneakers/runners on the plane, as well a your double duty sweater. You can change these as you near CUN.

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,772 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Be carefull with luggage

Yup, done all that cormac. Running shoes on the plane along with the zip leg pants which I remove the lower part as we're over the Gulf. Never bring a sweater or jacket, just a shell in case of rain. We usually leave our hotel at the airport when it's about -20C or colder with just our very, very light clothes and run to the shuttle. Coming back I run across the street at the airport to call the shuttle and then run back to inside the airport until we see the bus. Then run like heck hauling our suitcases behind us. And hoping the driver has the heater blasting. lol And I've also learned it really doesn't cost an awful lot to have something cleaned at the resort. Underwear and socks can be done in the shower.

birmingham,england
Level Contributor
339 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Be carefull with luggage

baz

we checked in a case at Manchester that was 25kg.

the check in clerk just put a 'heavy weight' label on it.

the problem with having an extra 5kg + using extra case is the case generally weighs near enough the extra amount.

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Be carefull with luggage

In general you are not allowed to combine the weight between the travelers, the limit is set per a person not 2*limit per a couple.

Edited: 30 September 2013, 07:07
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Be carefull with luggage

Be carful if you are at your weight limit going, all your stuff will gain some moisture, and it will weigh 1-2 kg more per case coming home, and that does not include anything you buy.

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,772 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Be carefull with luggage

You've got that right neilalex. If allowed 50 lbs I usually pack to 40 just in case my scale is out a bit and also to allow for any purchases and the humidity.