We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberostar beach question!!

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Iberostar beach question!!

Was just wondering how the beach is at Iberostar Paraiso Lindo? I've heard that Iberostar Tucan has a very nice beach, but the resort itself looks outdated. Trying to book a week this November..last minute trip that we said we weren't going to do, but we just love Mexico so much, we can't resist! Any thoughts would be great!!

New York
Level Contributor
889 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberostar beach question!!

The beach is different but great at both places. The Tucan is located in the gated community of Playacar south of Playa Del Carmen. It is beautiful and not rough. The beach at the Iberostar Complex is great but a little rougher. There is a Wave Pool and a Lazy River at the Maya if that is important to you. We stayed at the Grand (next to the Maya) and used both. The Iberostar Complex is closer to the airport - took about 1/2 hour to get there. The Tucan is further south of the airport - took about an hour to get to Playacar.

Maryland
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Iberostar beach question!!

How close is Iberostar Paraiso from 5th Avenue? I think this time we might like to stay closer..I heard you can use any Iberostar facility when you stay there (except for the Grand of course), so we were thinking about taking the ferry to Cozumel and maybe using the Iberostar there for a day. That is what I heard, don't know if it's true or not.

New York
Level Contributor
889 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iberostar beach question!!

The Iberostar Paraiso is not close to 5th Ave. at all. My guess would be 20 to 30 minutes by car. If you want to be closer to 5th Ave. and stay at an Iberostar then try one of the two in Playacar. Either Tucan or Quetzal. I do not know if you can use the Iberostar in Cozumel.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,344 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iberostar beach question!!

Yes, you can use the facilties at the IB Cozumel until 6 PM.Getting to the IB Cozumel is more of a hassle than it is worth. You would have to take the shuttle ($5 per person each way) or a taxi (about $25 one way) to Playa del Carmen which is about 20-25 minutes from the IB Paraiso. Then you have to take the ferry to Cozumel and then another taxi to the IB Cozumel.

You can also use the facilities at the IB Tucan/Quetzal. That would just mean getting to Playa and then a short $5 taxi ride to the resort.

Seattle
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iberostar beach question!!

properties could not be more different, the beach at the Tucan is world class one of the best in Mexico. The Iberostar Paraiso Lindo and adjacent Iberostar properties is considered a MEGA resort housing 1,000's of guest whereas the Tucan/Quetzal only 700 total (350 each) rooms so it is much smaller and more personal which we prefer. The pool at the Tucan is right on the edge of the beach so you can sit at the pool and see the ocean and beach whereas the Iberostar Paraiso Lindo the pools are nowhere near the beach. The Tucan/quetzal may be older but it is still in very good condition and a great value, also only a 5 minute taxi to Playa Del Carmen or a 1/2 stroll on the beach to town. So if you want a theme park experience go to Iberostar Paraiso Lindo if you want a more of a mexican feel with zoo/jungle experience and a great beach the Tucan Quetzal.

Maryland
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Iberostar beach question!!

Oh geez, ok. Sounds like going to the Iberostar in Cozumel may not be worth it. We would like to visit Cozumel, have never been there before!

Maryland
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Iberostar beach question!!

That is very nice to know about Iberostar Tucan! Will keep that in my mind and share with my hubby. Decisions decisions!

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,344 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iberostar beach question!!

I disagree that the IB Paraiso complex is a "theme park experience". The grounds of the Beach/Del Mar are lush with tropical vegetation and birds and other animals.

Yes....the IB Paraiso is a VERY large resort, but it is easily manageable. The Del Mar/Beach side is about the same size as the Tucan/Quetzal and the pool at the Del Mar/Beach is much bigger and nicer.

Different strokes for different folks. We think there is more to do at the IB Paraiso complex and also more choices for food.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Iberostar beach question!!

I've never been to the IB Paraiso although I was considering either it or the Barcelo Maya, however, a friend of mine went to the IB Paraiso this summer and they were previously at the Barcelo and they didn't care for the IB Paraiso at all.

I've therefore booked to go to the Barcelo Maya Tropical at the end of February and also booked another trip at the end of April for the IB Tucan/Quetzal. I stayed next door at the Sandos Playacar and walked around the T/Q and loved the look of it (actually peeked into a room as the door was left open by the cleaning lady)! The beach in Playacar is absolutely gorgeous and we loved being so close to 5th Ave.

Illinois
Level Contributor
703 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Iberostar beach question!!

LINZ10409 - I agree with Cedarcrest. P. Lindo is a very nice resort, decor is outstanding. But....everything is not within reach, very far to walk from beach to your rooms, food, ect. I stay at the Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal all the time. I went to the P. Lindo on a day pass. It is 30 minutes from the airport and 30 minutes to Tucan/Quetzal - 5th Ave. And it is a resort with the other Iberostar resorts on same beach, by them selves. I have to mention I was really turned off by how big the resort is, and mostly the Raccoon like animals. This happened when I was there my experience, they have way too many of them. I couldn't even walk on the sidewalks (I'm not making this up). I take caution with all animals, and they got to close for my comfort. And a lot a lot of cats. The ocean is nice, but has a lot of big rocks, and had a unexpected drop and I didn't feel safe in that part of the ocean. Again my experience. $25.00 taxi each way in Cozumel to iberostar after departing the ferry from Playa. Shallow shallow ocean with tons of rocks in Cozumel Iberostar. Nice small bungalows.

Tucan/Quetzal is in good condition, rooms just need a new bed spread and perhaps new curtains, but I'm fine with what they have. Cedarcrest knows Tucan/Quetzal has a theme of the Mexican Culture that is why I go there.

momluvstorun - I also took a walk into the Tucan/Quetzal and this is how I discovered it, the beach is the best. That's why it's called Riveria Maya - the best coastline!

We all know there are a lot of nice resorts and we have our favorites. It is a hard decision to find one that fits each individual. Have fun where ever you go, can we smell the suntan oil.....