We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Hideaway or Le Blanc

Ashburn, Virginia...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Royal Hideaway or Le Blanc

For honeymoon, Royal Hideaway in Playacar or Le Blanc in Cancun? Location & price are not a factor...thanks!

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,462 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Hideaway or Le Blanc

I have stayed at Royal Hideaway - really wonderful. Going to Le Blanc in a couple of weeks. Will let you know how they compare.

Ashburn, Virginia...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Hideaway or Le Blanc

oh, nice! too bad its in a few weeks. we have to decide ASAP lol, we will be going first week of December. Ocean view at Royal Hideaway is already sold out :( Ive read Royal Hideaway is an older looking resort and needs some repairs? How are the rooms...ive seen pictures of some nice looking rooms and some unappealing looking rooms. Im basicly comparing the beach, pool, room, and food quality.

America, The...
Level Contributor
8,155 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Hideaway or Le Blanc

Hi Kristen,

I've been to both--RH about 8 years ago with a return visit coming up and Le Blanc 2 years ago. They are both lovely resorts and I plan to continue to return to both. To complicate your decision a bit more, if price really isn't a factor, perhaps consider adding Grand Velas Ambassador or Grand Class to your list. I'd love to go there and I think I might put it above both of these.

For the 2 you asked about though, you really need to decide on location. Le Blanc is in the hotel zone, which consists of high rises on the beach. I am not a fan of this but others like it for its proximity to clubs. Le Blanc is the only hotel I'd stay at in the hotel zone. The beach is beautiful. The surf is rough. Service and food are outstanding with an amazing level of pampering. The spa is fabulous. The bed is the most comfortable we've ever slept in. Room was attractive but not huge. I loved how they set up huge umbrellas for us at the beach, brought us beach pillows for our chaises, and silver ice buckets for our drinks. Very indulgent. Drinks and wines were lovely. But I wished I could have moved it south to the RM and spread it out into low rise buildings.

Royal hideaway is on what is now probably the nicest beach in the whole area, with water that will generally be calmer than you will find in Cancun. It is known for its outstanding food and lovely service. Like Le Blanc, it is a sophisticated resort which will not tend to draw the drunken rowdy crowd. It has no swim-up bar, which particularly helps with this. The rooms are nice--British Colonial in design. They are not brand new or ultra modern. The beach is expansive, but beach set up won't be quite as pampering as Le Blanc. Loungers are double and have cute, built in shades that you can open or close. No large umbrellas and neck pillows at the beach. It's a really wonderful place, and usually significantly less expensive than Le Blanc. We are choosing RH and not Le Zblanc this year, not because of price but because we don't want to be in the hotel zone again do soon. For us that's the deciding factor.

Again, I'd encourage you also to think about GV possibly...maybe just because I have fantasies of going there :-).

Good luck and happy planning!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Hideaway or Le Blanc

Go to LB for the honeymoon. You'll not be able to afford this nor will be welcome once the children arrive!

Seriously, this place is pretty top money but low-key. Not a lot of partying - at all. You'll need to club it. However, it's a palace and you'll feel like royalty. The spa, the food, the wines, the nightly treats in your room... ah, I remember it all so well :)

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,132 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal Hideaway or Le Blanc

I have also been to both. Tell us a bit about how you like to vacation and we can help you better!

America, The...
Level Contributor
8,155 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal Hideaway or Le Blanc

Great suggestion, Sassy. I'd hate to recommend where someone should go without knowing more about what would be a good fit for them. These are 2 good choices. For me, it's not like choosing between 1 place I've been to and recommend and another where I've stayed and wouldn't.

Ashburn, Virginia...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal Hideaway or Le Blanc

thanks, everyone! I was looking at Grand Velas too but I didn't think the water looked that great there. so I ruled it out. We would prefer to stay closer to Playa Del Carmen so the commute to activities down there isn't as long. But I like all the reviews for Le Blanc and how nice the resort and rooms look. Royal Hideaway sounds nice, I was just worried about being stuck with an older room, as I see different rooms in pictures. I wouldn't like the rough surf at Le Blanc, I prefer calm clear water. We want a 5* all inclusive and it seems Royal Hideaway and Grand Velas are the only options in Playa Del Carmen? Zoetry looks amazing but the water look disappointing in pictures and reviews. I tend to over analyze everything so this is taking too long to decide! ;)

West Chester, PA
Level Contributor
4,216 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Royal Hideaway or Le Blanc

Zoetry does not have nice water - you are correct. They also allow children. The only other place I can think of in the category you want where you want to be location-wise is The Royal PDC.

When are you hoping to book by? I go to LeBlanc in a couple of weeks.

Edited: 03 October 2013, 01:53
America, The...
Level Contributor
8,155 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Royal Hideaway or Le Blanc

Zoetry is not supposed to have a great beach and isn't adults only. El Dorado Maroma has a lovely beach with perfectly calm water all the time. It's a wonderful, 100 room resort--very quiet, upscale, and romantic. If you read my review of it, I do some comparisons to Le Blanc. We'll go back there as well, though I think food is a bit better at Le Blanc and RH.

Iberostar Grand is a larger property with excellent pampering. We've stayed next door and at its sister property in punta cana. The beach is good, but not as nice as RH or EDM. I haven't stayed and might one day, but reviews of the food don't seem to put it as high as RH. They are supposed to have lovely oceanfront suites, though. Secrets Maroma Beach is also popular and on a beautiful beach. We just chose RH over it, though. Three reviewers who have stayed at many if not all of these resorts whose opinions I highly value and I would point you to are: Sassypantsgirl, Caviargal, and Mykel. They are all discriminating, unbiased and well-traveled in ways that certainly make me envious :-).

America, The...
Level Contributor
8,155 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Royal Hideaway or Le Blanc

PAMichelle has great taste too :-)!! I think the Royal PDC doesn't have a great beach, though, right? It's livelier than many of these others, which you may or may not want, and I've heard rooms are beautiful. Too big and lively for my quiet tastes, but others love it.