We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insect repellant in oct/nov

London, United...
10 posts
Save Topic
Insect repellant in oct/nov

Hi

we are going to mexico staying at el dorado seaside suites 24th oct-7th nov was wondering would we need insect repellant dont want to take stuff we dont need to save on room in case.

Anyone had any problems with bugs or bites?

Thank you

Newport House Playa del Carmen
Newport House Playa del Carmen
#2 of 218 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Petit Lafitte
Petit Lafitte
#6 of 218 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Fairmont Mayakoba
Fairmont Mayakoba
#9 of 218 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Canada
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Insect repellant in oct/nov

I would suggest that you bring it along just in case. If you have to buy it at the resort it is very expensive. We go to PDC in Feb and Nov.. To me mosquitoes are a non issue. Hubby is not so lucky. Also, keep in mind that the last couple of months they've had a lot if rain. More than the average rainy season.

We have not stayed at your resort. We stay at at an Eco resort and have stayed at one which is right in town. Even at the non-jungle resort those little pests would find hubby way up on the balcony. Also consider any excursions you may go on.

Have a great vacation!

Edited: 06 October 2013, 14:18
Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,697 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Insect repellant in oct/nov

Yes, you very well may need it. It really depends upon the weather just before your visit to determine if the mosquitos will be out in force. We were at the El Dorado Maroma Nov 21-Dec 1 last year and everyone was getting eaten alive...I am a magnet and had very high DEET on and still got lots of bites. We are going to the EDM again in just over a week and the high concentration DEET is already out and ready to be packed.

We have been to the EDSS 8 times and the EDM 7 times in the months of Aug./Sept, Nov and May and I have needed bug spray every time except for one visit in the Aug/Sept timeframe. So definitely take it as it is much better to have it and not need than to need it and not have it...it is VERY expensive at the resort.

Mentioned in this post
El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma
El Dorado Maroma, by...
4,480 Reviews
Playa Maroma, Mexico
London, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Insect repellant in oct/nov

Thank u

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
12 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Insect repellant in oct/nov

What brand of repellent do you use that is high in DEET? Leaving soon myself and want to make sure to have the right product with me.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Insect repellant in oct/nov

We use Deep Woods Off. Works great.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,697 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Insect repellant in oct/nov

Same here Sherry!

7. Re: Insect repellant in oct/nov

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2014, 05:17