We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New procedure at Cancun airport for arrivals??

Kingston, Ontario
Level Contributor
633 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
New procedure at Cancun airport for arrivals??

Someone posted in another post that not every person gets their luggage x-ray'd when arriving?

Apparently if you only get your luggage x-ray'd if you receive the red light.

Can anybody confirm or deny this?

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New procedure at Cancun airport for arrivals??

Nope everyone has to first go through customs, receive luggage , xray luggage , red light/green light,timeshare sharks,transfers and then onto hotel. It is still the same.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,104 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New procedure at Cancun airport for arrivals??

Just follow the people ahead of you.

birmingham,england
Level Contributor
351 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New procedure at Cancun airport for arrivals??

no this is not true,

everyone presses the button after baggage collection.

if you get a red light, like me, they just get you to open the case and look through hand luggage.

takes about 30 seconds- 1 minute tops.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: New procedure at Cancun airport for arrivals??

Was just there a few days ago and yes, there most certainly is a new procedure - in Terminal 3 anyway. Most US airlines fly into T3 so that's the only terminal I can comment on.

When heading off to customs, they now have the red light/green light BEFORE the x ray machine. If you get the green light, off you go to head out the door. You do not have to put your luggage through the x ray machine. If you get the red light, which I did, you put your luggage through the x ray machine. They also still have people hand inspecting luggage but not sure who has to go there. Maybe if they see something on the x ray machine? After I put my luggage through the x ray, I just walked out the door into the hall, they did not go through my suitcase, although there were other people having that done.

Edited: 07 October 2013, 18:58
Ontario
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New procedure at Cancun airport for arrivals??

If I'm not mistken, this has been discussed before in a previous thread, with the conclusion being: Two terminals. Two slightly different procedures.

Terminal Two: (Where most Canadian flights arrive), as well as some from U.S., and maybe UK. Not sure. Immigration, luggage,proceed to Customs, Xray, push light button. If green, continue on your way. If red, get pulled aside for a further inspection. (Doesn't take long).

Terminal 3: Most flights from US arrive here. Others too, I'm sure. Just don't know which ones. Here I believe it has been changed to : Immigration, luggage pickup, proceed to Customs, push light button. If green proceed right on through. If red, get xrayed and/or checked.

Hope This is accurate. I'm sure the confusion arises because there are 2 terminals with slightly different procedures.

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,818 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New procedure at Cancun airport for arrivals??

So, there you go, some say yes and some say no. I'd also heard the same that only those getting the red have to be xrayed. Would certainly speed things up a lot. From what I remember it's only been the last couple of years that they were xraying everything. I recall seeing the machines there before that but we just proceeded past them as they weren't working. Hopefully T2 will have the new procedures when we get there in March.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New procedure at Cancun airport for arrivals??

I only fly into T3, as I said, but for this terminal, it has been x ray then press for the light for quite some time including the last time I was there, and I fly into Cancun a few times/year. This is the first time I have been through T3 where it has changed to pressing the light first then x ray if you get a red light.

I do not know what the procedure is in T2.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,554 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New procedure at Cancun airport for arrivals??

When we flew in T3 on our last visit in Nov, they were trying to x-ray all (14 previous visits the x-rays were not really used)...the lines were horrendous (back to immigration) so they stopped x-raying everyone (they actually only had 1 x-ray going by the time we got up to the front and we were not in that line). Then we pushed the red/green button and off we went. It will be nice if next week it is push the button and then if red x-ray. Maybe they change it up depending on how busy the airport is as well? I will certainly report back when we return.

Kingston, Ontario
Level Contributor
633 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New procedure at Cancun airport for arrivals??

Well I will comment on whichever terminal I fly into on my trip down.

We go at the end of next week. I does not matter to me one way or another, but it would certainly speed the process up if that was the case in all terminals.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,632 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New procedure at Cancun airport for arrivals??

Yes, I have read about this change in a few places lately.

Good, it makes a bit more sense than screening everyone's....now after a while they will move to no x-raying at all, which of course makes the MOST sense....