We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All Inclusive with 18 and 20 year old

Hopkinton...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
All Inclusive with 18 and 20 year old

We are traveling to Playa at the end of January with our two children who are 18 and 20. Looking for an all-inclusive not too far from town. Not sure if we should go with all adult - worried it will be mostly adult couples. Would like nice spa and gym as well as activities/entertainment. Looking for 4 or 5 star recommendations. Currently considering Paradisus Esmerelda or La Perla, RUi Palace Riviera Maya or Palace Mexico. Any advice?

GTA
Level Contributor
529 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All Inclusive with 18 and 20 year old

I'd do Royal Playa del Carmen at the AI resort level you mention for PDC. Your kids will love the atmosphere and you can enjoy it as well. A lot of fun and right on the best area of 5th Ave for AI resorts (better than the options you mentioned). Nice spa and a ton of other spa options in the area. Nice gym as well.

Edited: 09 October 2013, 04:40
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
708 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All Inclusive with 18 and 20 year old

I second the Royal. I will be traveling there in March with 2 16 year olds and while we really didn't have alot of other adult only options, we preferred the Royal for it's location. Being right in Playa offers so many options!

With the Royal, your kids would also have full access to the sister resort next door that is a family resort and would have kids their own age.

Texas
Level Contributor
3,700 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All Inclusive with 18 and 20 year old

Another vote for The Royal PDC if being in town is at the top of your list. It's a beautiful adults-only resort but it doesn't feel like a honeymoon factory either. There are plenty of entertainment options but if you want quiet you can also find quiet. The spa is beautiful but I can't comment on the gym since it's against my beliefs to workout while on vacation. The food and service are also really awesome here...we've been to Mexico 9 times and it's our favorite resort by a long shot.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,819 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All Inclusive with 18 and 20 year old

I am going to go against the grain and say NOT the Royal or any resort right in town.

18 is drinking age in Mexico...if I were a parent of an 18 and 19 year old, I wouldn't want to have to worry about them being out on the town every night. I would rather stay at a more remote resort where you can keep a little closer eye on them.

of course, everyone is different- your opinion on this will vary.

We went to the Barcelo Palace a couple winters ago now with a large group of friends and their kids, including two 17 year olds and a 19 year old and 21 year old. They had a blast. The Colonial/Tropical would be just fine, too.

Edited: 09 October 2013, 16:13
Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All Inclusive with 18 and 20 year old

RPDC for sure...you and your kids will have an awesome time. We have been there many times and met families with their older kids and had a blast with them. The men would go golfing while the women did the spa or beach thing. Lots to do for all ages and the animacion staff will be your 18 and 20 year olds best friends while there!! Simply amazing. I would not reccomend going way out to an isolated resort as you will be bored as we used to be. Being right in town with the ability to come and go is a major plus for us. This way you are not resort locked having to pay for cabs non stop.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,819 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All Inclusive with 18 and 20 year old

It's interesting that anyone could be 'bored' spending ten days at a five star resort with shore snorkeling, nightly shows, diving on site, Hobie Cats, ten a la cartes, etc.....my mama always told me 'only boring people get bored'. :)

We actually only went into PDC one afternoon that trip....and most of the group couldn't wait to get back to the resort and away from the relentless vendors and crowds...but to each their own, I suppose!

When we stay in town we never stay at an AI....I guess it is just different ways of looking at it. I think it is a waste of money to stay AI (especially a pricey one) when right IN town, as we'd be wanting to go out for most meals, etc. When we go AI we WANT to be more remote and therefore more relaxing and secluded.

Anyway....I just thought I would bring up the worrying thing, I know my girlfriends were very happy we weren't in town so they didn't have to keep such close tabs on the teens.

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All Inclusive with 18 and 20 year old

We stay AI in town and still eat out and it is hardly a waste of money. We use the resort to sleep and for breakfast daily drinks and most dinners. We like to go explore and eat off the resort as well.We did try non AI once and we spent 100 + at the beachclubs daily so it is expensive to us that way.

We tried the Barcelo chain once and never again will they see a cent of my money as they were terrible. We have stayed in many resorts in many different countries and have never seen such a low level of customer service as they provided. And that was at one of their Palace resorts.

as for being bored we have seen that done that for all the nightly entertainment so that is why we like to be in town so we can hang out at the many small bars/lounges that are in town. as for the kids if they are bad it does not make a difference if you are in town or isolated they will find mischief whereever they are. Being in towm does not mean they need constant supervision.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,819 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: All Inclusive with 18 and 20 year old

ok

Like I said, to each their own.

the OP hasn't been back anyway. lol

Hopkinton...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: All Inclusive with 18 and 20 year old

Thanks for the responses. Last time I was there I was with a girlfriend and our daughters. We stayed at the El Taj condo hotel and loved it but thought my husband and son might prefer the all inclusive and access to tennis and golf. I was happy it was not all inclusive since we were in town - we went to many local restaurants and really enjoyed it. Now thinking we may split up the trip and spend 3-4 nights in town at El Taj and then three nights at an all inclusive in a more remote area to just relax. If not all inclusive, then maybe one of the Mayakoba resorts.

10. Re: All Inclusive with 18 and 20 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2014, 05:18