We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family of 6 advice needed

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis
Level Contributor
392 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Family of 6 advice needed

My husband and I have stayed at the Viva Maya and thought it was just meh, ok but not great. The rooms were clean enough but the food was lousy so now we stay at Riu Palaces when the two of us go and are much happier with the quality of everything. This year we want to take our kids ages 21, 16, 14 and 5 (all boys) but I have concerns. One is $$$$, I think we could get by with two rooms but it is still going to be pricy. I was looking at the other Riu's and it would be much less expensive to stay at one of them but are we going to be disappointed with it? Is there another AI that would have a two bdrm suite maybe? I think with the way these boys eat, AI is the only way to go. What do other families with lots of kids do? I'm at a loss. Oh yeah, one other thing, I know Easter is April 20 but we want to avoid springbreakers so do you think we'd be safe going April 23-29th or should we shoot for a week earlier in April?

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
217 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family of 6 advice needed

We are leaving on Saturday to go to PDC for 8 days with our four kids (19, 17, 15 and 12), and we decided to rent a 3 br. condo at Luna Encantada. This way we will have lots of space to be comfortable, and we can eat some of our breakfasts and lunches at the condo to save money.

We've never done an AI, so I can't compare. We love to experience the places we visit, and eating at the highly rated restaurants of the area, and are not big drinkers, so I don't see the value in an AI for us. But I have noticed that people with teens seem to like AI's for the availability of other kids to socialize with their kids, so that might be something to consider. We will be keeping our kids really busy with a few day trips, so I don't think our gang will get bored. At least I hope not!

Not sure if any of this helps you, but I love that you are also going to take your four kids to Playa del Carmen :).

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
392 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family of 6 advice needed

I really think with the amount my boys eat (and we drink) it's a better choice for us to go AI. We usually eat a few meals for lunch and a dinner in town but like a home base. We did a condo at Disney World last year and while it was really nice and like a home away from home I ended up doing a lot more work than I like to on vacation.

The activities for the kids are also why we want an AI. I just don't want to be disappointed going from a palace to a regular RIU. I'm also looking at the Iberostars if anyone has stayed at both

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Family of 6 advice needed

6 people eating and drinking all day, I wouldn't even consider not doing an AI......as for family resort I have heard the Barcelo is good!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family of 6 advice needed

We took our 4 teen boys to the IB Tucan and they really enjoyed the activities...beach and AL for the food.Our boys eat a lot and they could when they wanted and they used room service too for late night burgers!

We got our moneys worth for sure and did 1 day trip to show them the area and local culture! it worked for us!!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
40,802 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Family of 6 advice needed

The 3 older kids will be charged the adult price (most resorts) so it gets pricey for 5 adults / 1 kid at an AI (and only 1 can drink)

A lot of non AIs offer free bfast and full kitchen inside your room

Food at the grocery store is pretty cheap so you have to figure out your budget

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
392 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family of 6 advice needed

I might be able to get by cheaper if I was willing to grocery shop and cook but I'm not. I do all the cooking and cleaning everyday so don't want to on vacation. I purchased the airfare this morning since its the best price I've seen in months. Its so hard trying to pick a resort and Pray we aren't disappointed. Thanks for the replies all!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,802 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Family of 6 advice needed

Cook / cleaning - NOT US ?

Go out for free bfast

Get chicken / pizza, fresh fruits, juice for snacks / meals

No cooking for us

Have you ever tried it?

Edited: 16 October 2013, 04:55
Minneapolis
Level Contributor
392 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family of 6 advice needed

I'm not sure I'm understanding the last posting if that was meant to be condescending. I thought I made it clear what I meant? We aren't so broke that we have to pinch every penny whilst on vacation. I just don't like to waste money either. Can someone clarify what I said to deserve that comment?

Vancouver
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,802 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Family of 6 advice needed

You asked for advice

It was given

We vary between AIs , B&Bs, , condos

I asked if you have tried not doing an AI

That's all

Edited: 16 October 2013, 05:47
colorado
Level Contributor
394 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family of 6 advice needed

I have read enough of Vancouversundogs posts that I doubt she meant it to be disrespectful. That being said, I totally hear you Mountainchick! No AI means "no vacation for you"!!!! I have 3 boys that wear a size 15 shoe. They eat a lot! My daughter can put it away too, lol. The first time we took an AI trip to the Riviera Maya was the first time ever that "I" ever felt like I had a real vacation. You deserve a vacation too, go AI. I haven't stayed at a RIU property yet but I have stayed at the Iberostar Lindo and loved it. I have also stayed at Occidental Xcaret, Grand Palladuim, Bahia Principe, Barceló, etc... Any of the above had food and service that was either just fine or great. All had decent buffets. My favorite food for restaurants was the Iberostar, They also had good liquor. Xcaret had the most comfy beds and good liquor too but, they don't have a real beach. It's a man made lagoon but it was good for snorkeling. We always take some day trips so I never felt like I didn't get my beach fix. Grand Palladium and Barceló had a gorgeous beach! Restaurant are better in my opinion at the Palladium. Drinks were somewhat watered down at the Barceló as well. The beach makes up for it though. The Bahia Principe was middle of the road on everything. Decent food, decent drinks, good service. My kids loved it! I would return to any of these resorts again. Next week we are going to the Ocean Coral and Turquesa in Puerto Morelos. I would be happy to give you my 2 cents on that when we return.. I am sure that you will be fine at any of the RIU's or any of the above mentioned. Whatever you choose, don't cook or clean. Have a great time!