We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Hideaway Questions

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Royal Hideaway Questions

While we have been to AI's in Mexico, we have not been here. I have a few questions--they may seem small or picky, but they matter to us, in making our decision for our vacation. Any help would be appreciated.

Rooms: Do all rooms have balconies? Do all rooms have jacuzzi-type tubs?

Restaurants: How far in advance do you need to make reservations? If you don't have one that morning, are you eating at a buffet for dinner?

Beach: What is the shade situation? We love to spend the days on the beach, but do need shade. How is the wait service on the beach?

Wristbands: Are there wristbands?

Timeshares: Are they pushy? phone calls, etc?

Surrounding resorts: Are they Royals? Do they make the beach very loud?

Costs: Are there extra costs while there, aside from, say spa treatments?

I think that's it for right now.

I have heard great things about this resort, so these are just the details that matter to me. Thanks to all of you experts and those who have just been once or twice!

Floyds Knobs...
Level Contributor
804 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Hideaway Questions

All rooms have balconies and jetted tubs.

I would recommend making reservations asap if you aren't picky about what time you eat. They fill up fast unless you are ok with 10 pm. However, I will say that they have an amazing room service menu and I've really enjoyed that before when I just didn't feel like worrying about getting dolled up.

Beach has quite a few trees and they have cabanas that can go over your chair. We were just there and they were at high occupancy and no one had any issue finding shade.

No wristbands

There can be teenagers but I have been 13 times and only seen it once or twice and they were very quiet with their families.

No timeshare people there at all. So no calls.

There are two resorts next to them that play music mid afternoon but it's not super loud because the RH beach is very wide and deep.

Phone calls in the room cost. Don't use the phone. Chef's Table is extra but VERY worth it if you are a 'foodie'. Some wines are if you want something different.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,178 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Hideaway Questions

Do the showers have hand held shower handles? A bench in the shower?

Floyds Knobs...
Level Contributor
804 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Hideaway Questions

Yes to the hand held, no to the bench

NJ
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Hideaway Questions

Thanks! Great information!

Floyds Knobs...
Level Contributor
804 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal Hideaway Questions

I should also say that there is no dinner buffet. All meals are sit down.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal Hideaway Questions

Oh good.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,178 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal Hideaway Questions

I see in the pictures a long staircase outside. With no railing for safety. Do you have to take that to get to the pools or are the rooms and pools on the same level?

Floyds Knobs...
Level Contributor
804 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Royal Hideaway Questions

That long staircase is to the lobby and some of the restaurants (there is also an elevator for those with mobility issues).

Rooms are in three story villas. So some have stairs and obviously those on the first floor do not. There are also stairs that lead up to the breakfast and lunch (one of them) restaurant but it also has a ramp that you can use.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Royal Hideaway Questions

There is an elevator in the front building where checkin and most dinner restaurants are located. If mobility is a challenge, you should request a first floor room.

I second the advice to make reservations as early and as far out as you can to get into the best restaurants.

Some people that waited until day-of were only able to get late seatings at The Grill which is the most casual of the dinner options.

ny
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Royal Hideaway Questions

Hi,

All rooms have either a balcony or a patios. Second and third floor rooms have a balcony while ground floor rooms have a patio. All rooms have a jetted tub.You may wish to email customer about a week prior to your arrival to arrange the first few dinner reservations, if you want to dine at a particular hour. All dinner dining with the exception of a Mexican fiesta buffet which is offered at the Mexican dinner show is absolutely a la carte.

You should make the remainder of your dinner reservations with your concierge upon arrival.Palm trees and sun tents are available should you wish shade. There is no issue securing either.The service on the beach and throughout the resort is incredible.There are no wristbands and while teenagers 13 and over are permitted,

there are rarely any. Any teenagers whom we have met at RH always are perfectly appropriately behaved, and that has never been an issue.I would not worry about time shares, as it has never been a issue.There are no wristbands at RH.

The only extras at RH are spa treatments, some non included wines; however, I think you will be pleased with the included wines, excursions, and dining at The Chef's Table , which is a gastronomic experience that is absolutely ( in our opinion) worth the cost.

There is a hand held available in the shower. While there is not a bench in the shower, should you require a seat in the shower, one can be brought to you.

Feel free to read any of my posts and reviews as they may answer many of your questions, or personal message me if you wish.

Edited: 24 October 2013, 01:23