We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

prices are still so very high :(

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,224 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
prices are still so very high :(

We were looking into going away the last week of march and i am still shocked at how high prices are still! :( I am always booked by this time and starting to feel bummed that prices are still so high. I know in the new year there may be some sales but i always have to be booked ahead with work. So i am starting to think i may not get back to this area for spring break. :(

Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: prices are still so very high :(

They are coming down slowly. I have been looking at Delta flights out of SDF to Cancun and a month ago the least expensive was over $900. Those same flights are down in the low $700. You need to check every day. We thought the same about our flight for this Nov, but one day an excellent flight came available for $450, and the next day it dropped to $411 (I got a refund for the difference). That flight had been in the mid $500 range.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: prices are still so very high :(

lin: have you tried pricing out the United flights via Denver or Chicago from YWG? We just did it out of Edmonton and it saved $1200 vs. flying direct. It was an easy connection in Houston for us to Cancun. Really brought down the price:)

Bayville, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: prices are still so very high :(

Are we talking about airline prices or resort prices? The resort prices I have found going up every year. Everything gets more expensive every year. Where are you planning on going?

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: prices are still so very high :(

I was talking about package prices:)

Bayville, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: prices are still so very high :(

Yes, we started going to Playa in 2010 and prices have gone up so much in the past three years. But, they are going up everywhere, you have to really search for good prices.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,224 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: prices are still so very high :(

yes i agree, prices in general are going up of course..every year i book months in advance and for us we have gotten the best deal by doing that. This year we booked in may for our new years holiday, prices are up way more then when i booked then. We are looking for spring break now and prices have gone up instead of down from when i was looking a few months back, nothing seems to be dropping at all. The basic 3 stars are very pricey, can't imagine paying what they are listed at since i know what they were priced at last year. not even close to being similar, even with a bit of increase for cost of living, etc they are no where close.

i buy mine as a package, flight and hotel combined, always seem to get the best deal that way, but i do look at separate costs as well and i also look daily! I am ready to book at any moment for the right price!

I have looked into non direct flights as well and not much of a savings yet that i can find. I don't have a extra day or 2 to use either for a stop over etc. plus my son is celiac and the thought of finding him a place to eat at a airport, etc is another burden i don't want to do right now with this disease being new to us. I want quick quick quick, right there, so we can bring just enough food for him until we are there.... no other worries if possible.

Last year i was seeing prices under 1000 already or close to it plus taxes but everything is 1400 or so plus taxes... I am open to almost any resort as well, only a few select ones i wouldn't want to go to... so i will pounce at 1st site of a good price.lol We have done spring break many times for 3000 for all 3 of us and want to stick with that again, i will go up to 3500 with taxes but that will be max.

Bayville, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: prices are still so very high :(

IMO if you are going off season you sometimes wait for a good price last minute, but at spring break I can't see it happening. Do you have to travel at that time? A couple of weeks can make a world of difference in price.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
174 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: prices are still so very high :(

Can't believe you found such great prices considering it's Spring Break. We booked at end of September because there is no travel flexibility when going over spring break. I don't even want to say how much. Your max of 1400.00 is a bargain!!!! Since booking The price of our AI actually went down $50.00. Would love to hear if you get a good deal.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,224 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: prices are still so very high :(

winterpeg880: where are you going? I have gotten great deals in the past considering the high time frame of the trip. We always have to go high season :( hubby get time off right after christmas and it' s NOT a choice, so we have always had to go away for new years... $$$ and i won't pull my son out of school for a trip, so the next break is spring break... $$$ as well unfortunately. I am lucky the last few times we have gotten a good deal and kept in our budget, this year i don't know if we will, i am not willing to spend too much more so maybe it's not in the cards this year? i sure will post of we book, where and for how much :)

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
174 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: prices are still so very high :(

We are headed to The Reef Playacar, it seems to have a good all around feel to it. I like smaller resorts and know the beach will be amazing. One of the things we wanted was a walkable beach and being able to walk to PDC will be great. Don't know why it's #93/195.