We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mayanbay.com ?

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Mayanbay.com ?

Hi, has anyone used http://www.mayanbay.com/? Just wondering if their deal is worth exploring:

http://www.mayanbay.com/package.html

Offer only valid to qualified customers through our Press 1 Promotion or Telemarketing Campaign and will receive a unique booking number with the resorts. Package deal only valid to first 100 customers today.

The retail price for these vacations is over $3,499.00 US dollars, however, after we apply your $2,500.00 discount to the price of these vacations & in exchange for you touring our Resort in Mexico, this comes out to only $999.00 US dollars. Now that´s not $999 per vacation, the $999 covers up to 4 people, for both 5 star All Inclusive vacations.

You have 18 months from today’s date to use your Riviera Maya vacation and an additional 12 months to use your bonus vacation and they are 100% extendable. This gives you time to plan when you want to go and who you will be bringing with you. These vacations are also transferable, if you cannot use them for any reasons you can sell them or give them away to a family member or a friend as a great gift. It is also open dated with no blackout dates so you can travel whenever you want as long as you give us a 45 days advance notice of your required travel dates.

Brampton, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
51. Re: Mayanbay.com ?

Hi,

We were scammed with Mayan Bay Vacations. We bought the $999.00 for a all inclusive 5 night, 6 days at the grand blue bay 5 star hotel open for 2 yrs of booking, plus a bonus trip to florida....We just tried calling them and all of there phone numbers have been disconnected, no response from emails and found multiple travel agencies with the same address in Mexico all with disconnected phone numbers. We contacted the hotel in Mexico and they indicated that have no indication on file of any reservation or any knowledge of any affiliation to Mayan Bay Vacations, or record of our reservation or certificate number.

We contacted the credit card company, they are crediting our acct and are in the process of debiting the acct of Mayan Bay vacations.

Do not fall into this trap. This is fraud and if you send them any ID they can commit identify theft.

Contact your credit card company. They should be able to make a case for goods not rendered and credit your account.

J V
Mississauga, Canada
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
52. Re: Mayanbay.com ?

Guys we just got back from Cancun and we had a blast!!! Was well worth the amount I paid. Best part is I get to plan one more trip!! Be patient and be persistent. The communication process can be frustrating but it was well worth it!!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: Mayanbay.com ?

I bought into this just like everybody else.

I passed an interview, paid with VISA and a week or so after that was issued a certificate in October 2013. So far so good.

A week ago I went to Reservations to book my first of the two promised vacations. This is when things became fishy:

The first surprise was when they told me the Sandos Playacar hotel was not available. It is listed on my certificate and it is the reason I bought into this. They said they would give me a free "upgrade" to a 5-star hotel - Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda. My research here showed that this is not a very good hotel, at least not as good as the one I was promised. I complained, and a few days and few e-mails later they gave me a small list of hotels to choose from. None of them was in Playa Del Carmen, and all of them were 2-3 star hotels, so I decided to go with Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda.

A few days later and after several e-mails asking what was going on, they finally replied, that a reservation request has been sent to the hotel and I should wait a week for a response, but "because your daughter is 13 and your package is for children under 12, there will be a charge of $90.00 per night for her. The total for her will be $450 + tax along with your one time reservation fee of $99 + tax". The certificate indeed says that it includes two children under 12, but at the time I purchased it, my daughter was 12. I discussed this with the person who interviewed me in 2013 and told him that by the time we would be able to travel, my daughter would turn 13, and he said it's OK, it is important that she is 12 at the time I was purchasing the package.

That and because the package is valid for 2 children, and we only have one, and yet they still want so much extra cash ticked me off. So I told them they are not keeping their promises and I want to cancel the whole deal and want my money back. I wrote several mails to different people, but did not get any reply for a few days, so I called Customer Service. They arranged for me a meeting with someone from their Financial Services, at this point I don't know what the outcome will be. I am curious what could I expect from this meeting.

Victoria, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
54. Re: Mayanbay.com ?

Good luck with cancelling. I tried to cancel as I thought the flight was included..waited over a week for response ..got an email saying non-refundable. Their customer service sucks.I filed a dispute with Visa who is now investigating

Saskatoon, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
55. Re: Mayanbay.com ?

To Alain from Montreal

which resort did you go to?

did you book your air travel with them or on your own?

Edited: 29 April 2014, 18:38
Saskatoon, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
56. Re: Mayanbay.com ?

Ivana, try 1-888-437-6214 and see if you can get a response there.

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: Mayanbay.com ?

Good thing you work for them! Scam people!!!

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: Mayanbay.com ?

My elderly parents bought this package when I was away on holidays. They are not computer literate, and would not have thought to check for online reviews, like this one. When I got home, I immediately googled it, and this Trip Advisor review is what I found. Ask me if I was surprised....

The good news was that my parents hadn't provided Mayan Bay with my email yet, so they hadn't received the form to sign and send back to them.

I contacted the credit card company, and was told that the chances of them getting their money back was very high because my parents had not signed anything and had only provided the credit card info over the phone, but first I had to contact Mayan Bay and notify them that my parents wanted to cancel.

Both times I phoned Mayan Bay today - May 6th - I got through immediately. The first guy told me he would send the form for them to sign, and he sent it right away. I notified them that they wanted to cancel, and the guy said he would email the cancellation form immediately. This is what they sent:

"If you wish to start a cancellation request, please send a signed copy of your vacation certificate along with photo I.D. and a written cancellation request. "

No way are they going to sign the vacation certificate! That could complete the credit card deal!

Anyway, I shall keep you posted as to how this all goes, and let you know if the company really does refund their money, or if we have to dispute it with the credit card company, which is Royal Bank of Canada Visa.

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: Mayanbay.com ?

I have just sent the cancellation request via email to these guys. So we'll keep you posted.

So you guys who actually WENT:

1) Have you received your voucher for the free cruise?

2) Have you successfully booked your cruise?

3) How was it getting your cruise booked?

Cheers,

Pete

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: Mayanbay.com ?

OK, we just got back from this vacation, so here is the complete story.

In my previous post I mentioned that I tried to cancel the whole thing and get my money back. I got really worried, because I could not get past the customer service on the phone and nobody was responding to my e-mails. After a couple of weeks I received an e-mail, which said that the package is non-refundable, but I can transfer it to someone else. That I already knew, so I decided to try to go that vacation.

After many attempts to talk to someone other than customer service agents, I finally got a reservation for Bluebay Grand Esmeralda near Cancun and from that point on everything went smooth.

We went there, had the 90-min presentation, which we cut short to 45 min and everything else was as it should be. During the sales presentation I heard the timeshare people refer to this as "telemarketing campaign".

Having gone through this process from beginning to end I can say:

- it is not scam, but at times feels like scam, because they don't tell you the full story from the beginning. In reality it is a timeshare telemarketing campaign. You get a discounted vacation package and in turn you have to attend timeshare sales pitches.

- the company that does the telemarketing part is not easy to deal with. If you play by their rules things may get smooth, but if you complain that they didn't tell you the truth or if you want your money back - they become very difficult. Their practice of requiring photo IDs and requiring you to sign documents is scary.

- the hotels they can send you to keep changing all the time. You may think that you are buying a package for one specific resort, but by the time you actually are ready to go, that resort may no longer be available and instead you will be offered some other. Although this is not what they promise in the beginning, at least there is some choice. I my case they gave me 5 resorts to choose from.

- it is hard to be exact, but in my view buying this package saved us 50% of the cost for the all-inclusive resort. The timeshare person we met there claimed that the cost for our package was $6000, looking at some booking web sites I think we would have paid $1400 -2500 if we booked directly (although you never know exactly until you make the actual booking) and through this program we paid $600. So yes, there is some real saving, and for this you have to spare 90 minutes of your time.

Our certificate included two separate trips to Mexico, no cruises or other perks. We just finished the first one, we'll do the second one next year.