We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Running 16 Miles

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
MSP
6 posts
Save Topic
Running 16 Miles

I am in training for a marathon and when I am on vacation in Playa del Carmen, I need to run 16 miles. I am a female also. Is it safe to run. Are there any trails. I can take the bus somewhere and run back to Playa if that is safe. Can anyone give me some suggestions of a good running route. I suppose I will have to worry about stray dogs also. Would mace be the best thing or just a stick?

Thank you

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,681 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Running 16 Miles

Where are you staying?

Lots of people do the loop in playacar...dont know how long it is but thatd be your best bet if youre close to there. Or else just go look on google maps.

Mace? Wild packs of dogs? Interesting ;)

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,108 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Running 16 Miles

Yes, first it would be good to know where you are staying. If it was me though and I was unfamiliar with the area, starting at the ADO I would probably run the length of Playacar (past all the all-inclusive resorts) which would be 4 plus miles in and out, then the length of 5th avenue as far north as I could (to calle 48 or further) and back, which would be close to another 4 miles then do it again. If I was short distance I would throw in a loop through Playacar Phase 2 (which branches west of that road into Playacar).

Michigan
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Running 16 Miles

I would get a running partner. Maybe ask on a board for ex-pats if there are any runners living in the area. How long will you be in PdC? If it's just for a week, you could put off your long run until you get home and not undo your training.

You are wise to consider your safety. Have a great trip and a great marathon!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,732 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Running 16 Miles

Given it may be hotter than you are used to, perhaps a treadmill in an air conditioned gym would work? You'd need to carry a lot of water with you for 16 miles, which in itself could be a problem unless you have a friend / family member meet you en route.

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,086 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Running 16 Miles

There are two good options for running outside in Playa. The first is the bike path along highway 307 which runs south from the McDonalds/Chedraui area all the way to Xplor. It is smooth and shaded in many places. It’s primarily a bike path, but if you give the bikers room they will most likely not mind that you use it to run. Don't use headphones and listen for bike bells, which is the common way for bikers to signal people they are approaching.

Also, the loop around Playacar Phase 2 (on the side of the street closest to the hotels). It is one of the smoother areas in Playa on which to run. This being Mexico, very uneven pavement is the norm. It’s still uneven in Playacar but much better than anywhere else in town. We don't recommend running 5th Avenue unless it's very early in the morning, as there are just too many people to dodge.

You most likely won’t encounter any stray dogs in Playacar. If you do, please don’t use mace or a stick on them. They will likely be more afraid of you than the other way around.

Have fun.

Tony & Cheri

Luna Blue Hotel

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Running 16 Miles

I've stayed at several resorts in the Mayan Riviera and definitely my favourite run was in the Playacar gated community - very safe and you can really run any distance. As mentioned by others, it would help to know which resort you're staying at.

MSP
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Running 16 Miles

I will be staying at a hostel Bed and Breakfast Popol Vuh. Which is only a short walk from the bus stop. I will need to run every other day. I guess Playacar is the best bet and down 5th Ave. Yes, I will be running early in the am as I am use to running in cooler weather being from the north. Also, I will be in Cancun a couple of days, so if anyone can suggest any routes there. Thanks everyone for your help tips.

Jody

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,858 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Running 16 Miles

If you are willing to take the ferry to Cozumel, then you can run on the Official Ironman route which will be a full marathon.

MSP
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Running 16 Miles

That is a fun, good idea. I am sure I can look it up online. Thanks for that. It probably is busy roads because they probably close off the roads during the Ironman. I will look it up. Thanks again

Jody

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
759 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Running 16 Miles

Mace is harmful to an animal. This is animal abuse and not recommended. Remember as well that you are in a foreign country. If you are searched at the Cancun airport they are likely to question the mace find in your bags. Leave it at home for your own neighbourhood dogs.