We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MagicJack App

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
94 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
MagicJack App

Has anyone used this app to make phone calls from playa to the US? Did you have any issues? If you used another inexpensive way, please share with me. We leave 12/5 and would like to call the family regularly.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,681 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MagicJack App

I tried the app with the wifi...didnt want to work. I have read of others using it with success so it may have been our wifi connection.

Eta i was trying to call canada

Edited: 24 November 2013, 00:12
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MagicJack App

Using wifi, Skype to Skype video or standard phone calls are free. If you've got a ipod Touch, or iPad, or smartphone, just download Skype. Skype to standard phones cost only pennies per minute.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MagicJack App

used it with no problems to Canada (except where we didn't have great wifi). It's free to landline or cell phones an the other person doesn't need to have it.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
94 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MagicJack App

I will definitely download Skype to my iPhone.

Thank you guys!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,163 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MagicJack App

I use the MagicJack App for all my calls to the USA. Works great. And as maried says, no charge to any landline or cellular in the USA.

Ewing, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: MagicJack App

So the Magic Jack app is completely free?? I will not be charged at all by my cell phone provider?? What about receiving calls?? Seems almost too good to be true!!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
94 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: MagicJack App

amaxin3265,

I used this app when going to Dominican Republic last year and it worked great. I wasn't sure if it worked in Playa or not and it looks like many use it. To answer your question, it is completely free- you will just need a good wifi connection when making calls and it is even linked to your contacts (if you allow the app to have access to your contacts). Not sure about receiving calls, maybe someone else can help us on that! I also know there is an app to text as well (free!!!!) but I haven't found it yet. Anyone else know which app we can text with? If I remember correctly, when you arrive to Playa, you also need to change some settings on your phone and I also can't remember what exactly those are.

My phone is going to stay in my safe 99% of the time. I do need to call daily to check on my kids. We will be there next week...WOOHOO!!!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,163 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: MagicJack App

You can receive calls but if not a paid subscriber, the caller will need to remember the number showing on the caller id when you call them. They can then call you back on your cellular anytime using that number. My understanding is that no one can give you that number in advance is because it is assigned by the MJ system when you initiate the first call. It does work--I have friends call me often on my cellular. Unlike Skype, calls are free.

For free text, I use the WhatsApp download. Its what almost everyone in Mexico uses to avoid messaging charges but works anywhere.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: MagicJack App

What's the "paid subscriber" fee for the MagicJack?

Skype to Skype is indeed Free, no fees, no download fee.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,163 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: MagicJack App

Skype to Skype is free but not if you want to be able to call any land line or cellular, which is all I do with MJ. Really the only charge with MJ is if you want the adaptor for your home computer or laptop. With it, you computer doesn´t have to be on as long as you have a WIFI signal available.