We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking of upgrading to Rui Tequila from Viva Wyndham Maya

Level Contributor
283 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Thinking of upgrading to Rui Tequila from Viva Wyndham Maya

Travelocity can change my hotel from the Viva Wyndham Maya to Riu Tequila for $600. We got such a great deal for $2,500 & the Riu would be $3,100 in March.

Just wondering if it's worth the $600. It's just I'm not a buffet person & I understand that for a 6-night stay I would only get 2 ala cart restaurants at the Wyndham & that it's not that nice except for the beach.

Any comments or suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Viva Wyndham Maya
Viva Wyndham Maya
7,000 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
8,455 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking of upgrading to Rui Tequila from Viva Wyndham Maya

I can't speak for everyone else, but I wasn't that impressed with the ala carts at Riu Tequila. Only one (the steak house, can't remember the name) was true ala cart and the food was mediocre. The Mexican and Asian restuarants were partly self service and again the food wasn't brilliant, but not bad. Compared, the buffet food was better.

Mentioned in this post
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
8,455 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking of upgrading to Rui Tequila from Viva Wyndham Maya

I agree with Wydcombe - the restaurants at the Riu Tequila are nothing special, their buffet is actually their strongest side. But if you are going without the kids, I would upgrade to Tequila anyways, because the food at the Viva Maya is just OK, it is not their strong side - their activities for the kids are.

Mentioned in this post
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
8,455 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Maya Tulum Resort
Maya Tulum Resort
408 Reviews
Tulum, Mexico
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
807 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thinking of upgrading to Rui Tequila from Viva Wyndham Maya

We have enjoyed 4 vacations at the Riu Tequila and we have always been satisfied. The decor of the Riu Tequila is colonial Mexico. The rooms have bottles of alcohol and refrigerators filled with water, soda, tonic, pop, and beer. In the lobby each morning you can reserve a table for dinner at one of the themed restaurants. You will find plenty of shade near the pools at the Tequila. For variety, you have access to facilities of the Riu Playacar and the Riu Yucatan.

Enjoy your time.

Mentioned in this post
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
8,455 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Hotel Riu Playacar
Hotel Riu Playacar
5,425 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
614 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thinking of upgrading to Rui Tequila from Viva Wyndham Maya

For less than this price difference, you can have several superb dinners in Playa.

up north
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Thinking of upgrading to Rui Tequila from Viva Wyndham Maya

For way less than $600 you could take a taxi to town every night for steak and lobster. I am a big fan of Riu resorts, but the Tequila is not on the beach.

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thinking of upgrading to Rui Tequila from Viva Wyndham Maya

I am liking Bernie and Mosaic's suggestions, at least that way you won't have to get up at the crack of dawn and queue for a dinner reservation!

Edited: 02 December 2013, 15:42
Southampton, England
Level Contributor
3,845 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thinking of upgrading to Rui Tequila from Viva Wyndham Maya

I been following the threads from francine and to be honest confused to why you go all inclusive if the format of buffets is not what you like. As that's the staple of all, AI. If you want the best pay for it, its as simple as that. Why not go to a hotel room only and choose what you want when you want out side of the hotel, no buffet.

When you choose a bargain hotel, you get what you pay for. What i heard its great value for what you pay for, but expecting A La Cart every night, really?

ontario
Level Contributor
486 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thinking of upgrading to Rui Tequila from Viva Wyndham Maya

The Yucatan's a la cartes were primarily all self serve also, and it sounds similar to the posts above about the Tequila. The a la cartes were not very good. The buffets were much better which we have never experienced before. so you may want to consider the dinner in Playa which is a great idea. Unless there is something about the resort you booked you don't like, You need to consider what else you will be getting so much better at the Tequila for that upgrade - (which is not on the beach also) on top of the a la cartes, cause I think you'll be disappointed.

Good luck deciding

Level Contributor
283 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thinking of upgrading to Rui Tequila from Viva Wyndham Maya

Thanks for the responses - well we have done All-Inclusives in Mexico & the ale carts were pretty good. Last year we were at the Palladium & the ala carts were excellent. We'll probably just venture into town to eat dinner. Actually I think Travelocity must have offered a pretty good deal at the Viva Wyndham Maya for the price of $2,500 - even on Expedia, it was $3,000 so we're staying!!!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Viva Wyndham Maya
Viva Wyndham Maya
7,000 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
614 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thinking of upgrading to Rui Tequila from Viva Wyndham Maya

Dustyjoe, the overall convenience of an AI is appealing for many people, but not all aspects of it. While it is great for breakfasts, lunches and snacks - as well as drinks and activities - it is nice change to get out of the routine for dinner. We prefer to get out of resort in the evening at least every other day, regardless of how upscale it is.

Edited: 02 December 2013, 19:34