We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finding accommodation locally

Calgary, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Finding accommodation locally

I am visiting Playa from Dec 24 to Jan 7 and because of a last minute change of plans I was unable to book anything in advance. I only have a place to stay from the 24 till 30.

My question is: will I be able to find something once I'm there? Are there many local hotels/bnbs unadvertised on Tripadvisor or elsewhere on the net?

Thanks!

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,546 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Finding accommodation locally

Pretty sure we have already corresponded, but in any event (and as we've recently discussed on other threads here), this would be the single most difficult time of the year to go without something reserved in advance.

That's not to say it's impossible by any means. But you'll probably you'll need to be open to places that might be several steps down your preference list. Or be prepared to pay a premium (or both).

FWIW!

Steve

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Finding accommodation locally

You may not get an ideal spot but start looking now. In Mexico things go on through 12th night. It will be busy. TA is hardly the only place to book. In fact it is way down on my list.

Calgary, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Finding accommodation locally

Thanks Steve! I don't mind cheaper or smaller places; but this year for some reason I ended up calling a lot of places way above my budget. I just got a confirmation from Paraiso Azul's (Casa De Gopala) - it looks like my kind of place judging by the photos on Tripadvisor - and I will call to book tomorrow morning.

Really appreciate the help, next time I'll learn my lesson and book way in advance. Somehow I seem to enjoy spending hours in front of my computer booking last minute accommodations year after year :)

Cheers,

Stefan

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,546 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Finding accommodation locally

"start looking now"

Well I don't think he's in Playa yet:

"My question is: will I be able to find something once I'm there?"

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,546 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Finding accommodation locally

Ah well good for you! And better than trying to wait and do it on the ground here, I think (also so that you don't have to spend time on that while here and can just enjoy the area).

6. Re: Finding accommodation locally

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2013, 11:47
Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,546 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Finding accommodation locally

Ooooh, somebody's touchy!

Yes I was just saying he was asking about looking while here. Anyway he seems to have appreciated the feedback, which was 100% non-tout-like in nature. :-)

North Carolina
Level Contributor
105 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Finding accommodation locally

Stefan, have you tried looking at airbnb.com or vrbo.com? Both of these might be good choices. I just did a quick search and did see some availability during the days you listed above. I'm not sure of your budget, but airbnb.com will be your cheaper option. Good luck!

up north
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Finding accommodation locally

You may not get exactly what you want, but don't think you will have a problem. Hundreds of hotels and resorts. Some don't have internet sites.

Houston, Texas
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Finding accommodation locally

Is any one willing to share a room in Playa Dec 23-Jan 5?

I am 37 swm.