We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

IBTucan, IBLindo, RIU Palace Mexico, RIU Palace Riviera Maya

monroeville, PA
Level Contributor
308 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
IBTucan, IBLindo, RIU Palace Mexico, RIU Palace Riviera Maya

We are a couple in our late 50's, but still like to go out in the evenings. We also want to be able to go to 5th ave. a few evenings for dinner and shopping. We would like a room near the pool/ocean with at least a partial oceanview. We like a nice pool and also enjoy the beach. The hotels above all seem to fit our price range.

We will be in Mexico the second week of January. Any opinions which hotel might be a good fit for us?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: IBTucan, IBLindo, RIU Palace Mexico, RIU Palace Riviera Maya

Either of the Riu Palace's would be the best out of the group. Both are built in a U shape so no ocean view from windows but you can see the ocean from the balcony on fountain view rooms. Great beach and good food at the ala cartes at night.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: IBTucan, IBLindo, RIU Palace Mexico, RIU Palace Riviera Maya

If you want to be able to go to 5th ave several times then I would cross the IB Lindo off your list. Its a good 25-30 minutes away either by low cost shuttle run by the Iberostar resort, or a more expensive cab ride. But it wouldn't be very convenient if you wished to do that each night.

One (or both, Im not sure) of those Riu's was re-decorated into a very modern, pink, purple (awful) in my opinion way so you may make sure you look at the "traveler photos" here on TA to make sure you can handle that look of a resort.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,721 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: IBTucan, IBLindo, RIU Palace Mexico, RIU Palace Riviera Maya

Yes the riu palace mexico redo has big plusses and one big minus...the lobby redo is for sure horrendous! Thankfully the actual parts of the resort we use are awesome after the redo. The pools and courtyards are fantastic, and the suites are nicely modern. Id go again for sure. We also enjoy the riu palace rm as well.

Id say either would be great....agree lindo is a bit far from playa but is part of a really hige complex and is close to pto morelos so itd be ok id think.

I think thered be less kids at riu v iberostar.

I think between riu and iberostar there probably isnt abad call there as they are two fine chains.

monroeville, PA
Level Contributor
308 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: IBTucan, IBLindo, RIU Palace Mexico, RIU Palace Riviera Maya

Thank you. I think it might be the RIU Yucatan that was remolded, but I will check further. I think we are mainly concerned that the rooms, pools and beaches were nice and the food acceptable. Do either the RIUs or IBerostars have shops near them?

Bryans Road
Level Contributor
4,349 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: IBTucan, IBLindo, RIU Palace Mexico, RIU Palace Riviera Maya

Swami is correct about the RIUs. No true ocean views. We prefer the RPM. Great courtyard. Even though the renovation took a few days to get used to, the new look grew on us.The buffets are very good there and the staff can't be beat. Great beach. We often walk to town from there. Playacar is a nice community. It's also nice to visit the other RIUs on occasion. Enjoy!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: IBTucan, IBLindo, RIU Palace Mexico, RIU Palace Riviera Maya

Riu Palace Mexico was re done last year and the Yucatan this year. There is a small shopping center in Playacar where the resorts are located which is a 5 to 10 minute walk. It has a Starbucks, clothes and liquor/snacks. Playacar is a gated community next to Playa.

Edited: 12 December 2013, 19:04
7. Re: IBTucan, IBLindo, RIU Palace Mexico, RIU Palace Riviera Maya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2014, 05:17