We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valladolid to Ek Balam

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,399 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
Valladolid to Ek Balam

I have seen it asked many times how to get to the Ek Balam site from Valladolid. Today in the ADO Valladolid terminal, I saw an advertisement for a very good option I had not seen before. According to the sign they offer bus service on Friday, Saturday and Sunday , departing from Valladolid at 830 AM for the short trip to Ek Balam and returning from EB at 1230PM. The cost is only 50 pesos round trip. Good schedule, great price!

baltimore
Level Contributor
3,183 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Valladolid to Ek Balam

This sounds like a great option. I am going to Valladolid on wed and would love that option but obviously it wont work for me. If we take a taxi whay would the cost be? Should we have the driver wait or do the have taxi waitng by the ruins?

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,680 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Valladolid to Ek Balam

There may be a colectivo option as well but I do not know their departure point.

baltimore
Level Contributor
3,183 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Valladolid to Ek Balam

I wouldn't mind taking the collective but im not sure were to catch one. We also would like to see Uayma church. Is that anywhere neat or on the way to Ek Balam? If so we dont mind taking a taxi to see both.

My spanish is very weak at best. Will i be able to communicate with ppl there. Do some of the ppl in stores and restaurants speak a broken English?

Edited: 29 April 2014, 18:46
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,680 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Valladolid to Ek Balam

I would not worry about language issues. I get by. You will find plenty of people who speak English.

baltimore
Level Contributor
3,183 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Valladolid to Ek Balam

We are thinking about spendng the night in Valladolid. We probably wont make up our minds until we get there. Are hotels scarce on rooms this time of yr? I was hoping we could walk up and get a room.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,680 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Valladolid to Ek Balam

I do not have a clue on hotel availability. Do you need some hotel names?

Actually you can get that in the Valladolid forum.

If you like cenotes, Dzitnup/Samula are a few kilometers west of town and Ik Kil is a short distance east of Chichen Itza.

Edited: 29 April 2014, 21:47
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,399 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Valladolid to Ek Balam

You can likely just walk up and get a room. Valladolid has a good supply of moderately `priced hotels. I often used the Hotel Zaci, one of my favorites and well located for the main plaza and transportation. I am sure you will get other recommendations from many who have stayed in the local hotels.

In addition to the Zaci, when I just wanted a quick overnight stay before moving on, I also used the Hotel Valladolid, just across from the ADO bus terminal. Not fancy but clean, modern with good air conditioning.

baltimore
Level Contributor
3,183 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Valladolid to Ek Balam

Thanks for the hotel recommendations. This is my first trip too Valladolid and im trying to wrap my head around the layout and where everything is, im usually a type A personality who plans everything. Hubby and i decided yesterday we are going tomorrow. Is the main square within walking distance from the Ado bus station? Is there any place in town or in the bus terminal that has maps of town? I really dont want to miss some if the key sites i just have no idea where they are.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,680 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Valladolid to Ek Balam

The square is very close to the bus station. The east/west road outside the bus station has traffic heading west. If you face traffic and walk east two blocks you will be at the square.

One map for a start

http://tinyurl.com/ljnnx93

Edited: 29 April 2014, 22:12
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,680 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Valladolid to Ek Balam

Here is another. Click on the blue buttons for hotels, etc