We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Hideaway Thumbs Up or Down

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
604 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Royal Hideaway Thumbs Up or Down

Hi everyone,

Having a hard time trying to figure out this resort. I'm hearing both negative and positive stuff and it's confusing me. Not sure what to do and I need to book a resort and soon. My travel plans are for mid January for 10 days. I'm concerned about the condition of the rooms, breakfast wait time and reservations. I'd love to hear all your feedback both negative and positive so please share.

Also, does anyone know what time breakfast is served till?

Thanks

America, The...
Level Contributor
8,362 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Hideaway Thumbs Up or Down

SunStar,

I have already booked and will most likely be sticking with my reservation. If I had the option now, though, and it weren't a very expensive change at this point, I'd be switching to EDM,Le Blanc, IBG, or even SMB. I'm sure RH will be good, but I do have concerns about their ability to handle capacity crowds. It seems their service and food quality has gone down based on reviews.

I also questioned whether RH planted a couple of 5 star short reviews from 1 time posters after a series of negative ones, which I never like.

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
9,064 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Hideaway Thumbs Up or Down

Well if you ask TA reviewers, it's clearly thumbs up: virtually 2,000 reviews and virtually 1,800 of them are positive (with almost 1,500 rating it excellent).

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g150812-d153142…

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,271 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Hideaway Thumbs Up or Down

I think that RH is a resort where it is very important to know what you are looking for in a vacation. RH is very, very, very quiet. When I was there, the clientele was clearly older than other resorts of the same caliber I have visited. It is also an older resort. So, if you are seeking party time with 20-something guests in new, minimalist rooms - run away. I loved the quiet. The food was very good. The included wines were bad. Service was excellent. We had a second floor room that felt spacious, although the bathroom was older (it was very large though). I was not there at capacity though, and honestly I think any of these AI resorts struggle at capacity.

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,843 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Hideaway Thumbs Up or Down

Like ReviewerMaryland1 we're booked and not changing. I really don't know what to make of the negatives that have been appearing lately, some of which I thought their claims unreasonable but others if true were certainly something that should be a quick fix by Management. Hopefully all will be well when we get there in March.

And I see there's lots of new good reviews this morning.

Edited: 18 December 2013, 15:15
Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal Hideaway Thumbs Up or Down

I totally agree with sassy. If you know what you are getting going in you will have a great vacation. We just returned a few weeks ago and posted a review. We had a really great time but knew what to expect. We didn't need any entertainment and were looking for a quiet vacation and that is just what we got.

I think there may be a few rooms with some minor issues but just ask for another room if you get one of those. Ours was in perfect condition. It is an older resort so the rooms are not ultra modern but we were very comfortable.

We were there when occupancy was 100% and never waited for more than 5 minutes for breakfast. We attended a returning guest event and were told that upgrades to the breakfast area are is in the works. They know that it is not the best setup.

There were are few hiccups in service but most was excellent. Food was what we expect in a 5 star in Mexico and sometimes better than expected. The only drinks that we were disappointed in was the wine and we know that we are wine snobs. Life is too short to drink bad wine! I just drank something else :)

The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to book your dinner reservations ahead. That will save you a lot of frustration. Like their Facebook page too. It can't hurt for them to know you are coming.

Floyds Knobs...
Level Contributor
830 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal Hideaway Thumbs Up or Down

I love the resort but the negative reviews are all from one time period where I am gathering the were at full capacity. I know they were completely booked because I had friends who couldn't book a room during that time. Sometimes there just isn't much you can do when a resort is that full. And remember, more people are apt to write a poor review than a good one. So during that period where they were 100% full, a handful of mediocre reviews have come through. They aren't 1 starts, they are 3 stars. Which says that maybe at full capacity their service level may have slipped some but it isn't that big of a deal.

Breakfast wait times have never been an issue for us there. At most I have had to wait 10 minutes if I wanted to sit outside. It's served until 10:30 am.

Reservations have never been an issue. Between room service, pool side service and tea time food, I've always enjoyed a later dinner there.

And also, some of the villa need touch ups. They have been rolling out these over the past couple of months and are set to do some more throughout this year from what I understand.

It's a great resort. I wouldn't stress over booking it.

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,843 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal Hideaway Thumbs Up or Down

I figure we'll be fine with their house wine. If it's red it's good. lol We've had lots of Mexican wines over the past 10 years and we were ok with most. And at home 90% of our wine consumption, drink it daily, is made from 6 and 8 week kits so I'm sure we'll be good with whatever they serve.

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Royal Hideaway Thumbs Up or Down

The problem Bob, is that it is not Mexican wine but very awful Italian wine.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
604 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Royal Hideaway Thumbs Up or Down

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated

ReviewerMaryland1....now I know Le Blanc..we stayed there years ago when it first opened. But I don't know most of your abbreviated resorts. Think one is Iberostar..Can you let me know what they are if you have a minute? Are you saying you are nervous about recent reviews and would change if you had the opportunity.

We appreciate a very very quiet atmosphere. We don't want to be stimulated at all. So that's not a problem for us. I understand about making reservations before hand but how do we know what restaurants are open before we get there? Also, it's just nice to not live by a schedule. Sometimes you want Asian but then you are booked for Italian. Just bothers me. So are you all saying that if we go to a restaurant on off hours they will not let you in at all? I find that annoying.

Keep the advice coming. It's crunch time

We are also looking at Grand Velas at this point. Wonder if it merits the extra $1300 and a Wifi charge which is the dumbest thing

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,614 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Royal Hideaway Thumbs Up or Down

IBG-Iberostar Grand Paraiso

EDM-Eldorado Maroma

SMB-Secrets Maroma Beach