We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Hideaway Thumbs Up or Down

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
591 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Royal Hideaway Thumbs Up or Down

Hi everyone,

Having a hard time trying to figure out this resort. I'm hearing both negative and positive stuff and it's confusing me. Not sure what to do and I need to book a resort and soon. My travel plans are for mid January for 10 days. I'm concerned about the condition of the rooms, breakfast wait time and reservations. I'd love to hear all your feedback both negative and positive so please share.

Also, does anyone know what time breakfast is served till?

Thanks

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,811 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Royal Hideaway Thumbs Up or Down

Didn't know that Ontario, figured it to be Mexican. Yes, we've had some pretty brutal Italian wines even at home, but some good. Guess it all depends upon the palate. lol

SunStar, my understanding is the only time a restaurant might be closed is when they have the dinner theatre and that was usually Vantanas. And we're now into the resort being pretty well full right through until Easter so I wonder if they'd even do that. My plans are to "try" to book 3 or 4 nights before we get there and then deal with the concierge for the rest. Again, we're not fussy where we eat so long as we get to try all the restaurants a couple of times and some 3.

America, The...
Level Contributor
8,048 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Royal Hideaway Thumbs Up or Down

Sorry about the abbreviations, Sunstar! I was saying that I'm having some misgivings based on all the 3 star reviews of late. We had stayed at RH many years ago and found it to be a good, but not great resort for us. However, reviews in the past year and reports from so many we trust talked about how amazing the food and beach are now, which had us booking a return trip. So many middle of the road reviews of late have me concerned that it will one again just be good, but not great. I'm sure we'll have a wonderful time regardless and I'm hoping they'll surprise me positively, but I'd choose differently if I were booking today. I also do know that sometimes reviews go in waves. My favorite resort in Jamaica had a month of mediocre reviews this summer out of the blue. If I were booked and hadn't been there before, or already had some misgivings like in my case, I'd have been very worried. Now they are back to almost all 5 stars again with no real explanation for that dip.

If you don't choose RH, El Dorado Maroma sounds like it would be a great resort for your purposes. 100 rooms, beautiful beach, good food, great service, quiet, intimate, no reservations, no chair saving, no wristbands. There is a silly WIFI fee. We loved it there. IBG is Iberostar Grand...it's larger, but not a party resort. They do have reservations and wristbands. SMB is Secrets Maroma Beach. It's a more active resort. Grand Velas is supposed to be amazing, but I think you can get what you are looking for at EDM or (RH even).

ny
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Royal Hideaway Thumbs Up or Down

As I recall many of the house wines( I only know about whites, as we only drink white) were Chilean. Ventanas is closed on the nights on which there is a show in Club Royal, as the kitchen that serves the theater is the same kitchen that serves Ventanas. At times of high occupancy, all other restaurants are traditionally opened every evening.Bob,

As you indicated that you like to dine early, you should be able to have dinner wherever you like .

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,811 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Royal Hideaway Thumbs Up or Down

Diva, I think you might have said one time or in one of your reviews when they do the Mexican Folklore in the theatre is it Mexican buffet? If so do you get taken to your table then go back and get your food? Is it a good variety? No problem with Vantanas being closed so long as it isn't Wednesday, our special day although the Ossobuco at Palazzo looks awfully tempting. Might have to have it twice. lol They sure have some great looking dishes on their menus and I want to try everything. I'm salivating just thinking about it. Will have to stay longer.

ny
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Royal Hideaway Thumbs Up or Down

Bob,

Yes. You are seated and then you can choose your Mexican dishes from the buffet. It is located right ourside of the entrance to the theater and it features a wide variety of options. Bar service is provided by the waitstaff. I am not an Ossobucco fan; however, I have heard that it is very good from guests who enjoy that dish. Enjoy!

America, The...
Level Contributor
8,048 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Royal Hideaway Thumbs Up or Down

Bob, if Ventanas is closed on your special day, maybe that's a sign that you should use your resort credit and book the Chef's Table that night ;-). I can't imagine a much more special dinner than that!

ny
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Royal Hideaway Thumbs Up or Down

Bob,

Historically, the Mexican show has been on Thursday, so Ventanas , should be open on Wednesday, for your special day (anniversary, if I recall correctly).

Edited: 18 December 2013, 20:55
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
591 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Royal Hideaway Thumbs Up or Down

Thanks for your response ReviewerMaryland!!

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
564 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Royal Hideaway Thumbs Up or Down

My wife and I are booked to return at the end of May 2014. We have had one stay previously, in 2011, which we enjoyed very much. True, we had a couple of negatives, we found the food at the theatre show not to the same standard as the alc restaurants, and Spices was not open for dinner during the 5 days of our stay. Some of the recent reviews do look suspicious. One negative one I read yesterday looked exactly like one posted a few weeks ago. I could not find it to compare, and I notice the one I read yesterday has also "disappeared"!

We did look at some of the hotels where people say they might stay instead, For the week of our stay next year, the Iberostar Grand would have been about 20% more expensive, Secrets Maroma Beach 38% and Le Blanc 230%! On that basis alone, the quality of RH represents value for money to us.

America, The...
Level Contributor
8,048 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Royal Hideaway Thumbs Up or Down

You do often see good deals for RH. For our 5 nights, it would have been $200-400 more to stay at EDM, SMB or the Grand, depending on room category too. To make a change now it would be $800 plus.