We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Del Carmen > Coba & Tulum > Playa Del Carmen

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Playa Del Carmen > Coba & Tulum > Playa Del Carmen

Hello Everyone,

Been looking through thread trying to figure out the best way to do a day trip from Playa Del Carmen to Tulum and Coba and back to Playa Del Carmen.

Most of the posts I've read are pretty old, so the info might be outdated.

I've read all kinds of things like visit Coba first, then Tulum. How some of the buses dropped people off far away from the ruin site, instead of at it, etc. Looking to alleviate all these potential headaches.

Thanks in advance!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,028 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa Del Carmen > Coba & Tulum > Playa Del Carmen

ADO bus from PDC to Tulum. Another bus to Coba.

Taxi or bus back to Tulum.

Taxi to the Tulum Ruins.

Colectivo / Taxi to PDC

If it were me, I would rent a car for the day

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,028 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa Del Carmen > Coba & Tulum > Playa Del Carmen

Also check out Top Questions

Here is a good thread on DIY to COBA from a few of the experts

tripadvisor.com/…30571855

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa Del Carmen > Coba & Tulum > Playa Del Carmen

Thanks both, sounds like its going to be a mix of transport no matter what. Was hoping to not need a car.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,997 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa Del Carmen > Coba & Tulum > Playa Del Carmen

Look at the link provided above. Just verify current bus times.

ticketbus.com.mx may show second class buses in addition to the first class ADO bus.

Maybe you get a bus back from Coba...or take a taxi. Do whichever works. Maybe you hitch a ride with another tourist.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,971 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa Del Carmen > Coba & Tulum > Playa Del Carmen

We used Yukatreks for a private tour to Coba and then Tulum. It was great because we could come and go as we chose. They drove us, paid all entrance fees, treated us to a fantastic Yukatan buffet lunch and paid for snacks and drinks along the way. I also requested a stop at a Hernandez ceramic store in Tulum-he threw that in too! It was a great day. Yukatreks was also our guide in the ruins. They really know their Mayan history. Just a great company.

http://www.yucatreks.com

Edited: 21 December 2013, 03:27
Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Playa Del Carmen > Coba & Tulum > Playa Del Carmen

We went to Coba from Tulum and took a taxi that our hotel arranged for us. The driver stayed there until we were ready to leave. There are restaurants and shops at the entrance to Coba. He also took us to some places for shopping. I think we paid about US $100 for the whole thing, which I felt was just fine given the distance.

I visited the Tulum ruins on a different trip. Both are very worthwhile, and they are quite different, so well worth seeing both. Get a guide at both places. At Coba, you can get a bicycle rickshaw to take you from one part to another, it is kind of a hike and it was hot when we were there.

7. Re: Playa Del Carmen > Coba & Tulum > Playa Del Carmen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2015, 07:18