We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using a debit card at an ATM in PDC

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northamptonshire...
Level Contributor
12 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Using a debit card at an ATM in PDC

Daft question time but can anyone tell me if Nationwide debit cards work in the local ATM machines in PDC. We don't go until March but if there is a problem using the card I would rather sort it out now.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,378 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using a debit card at an ATM in PDC

Inform your bank before leaving the UK and only ever use an ATM in a bank or reputable place.

I personally would never use a debit card in Mexico.

Oregon
Level Contributor
9,008 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using a debit card at an ATM in PDC

I do not use a debit or credit card however I do take them with me to use in case of an emergency. And that has to be a pretty darn good emergency like a hospitalization or something. Too much fraud. If you take them and use them, do not let the cards our of your sight. Where it goes, you go. And change your pin # upon return as well as keep an eye out on your bank statements in the months following your return. I'm a "get all the pesos I need before I go" type person.

Edited: 22 December 2013, 23:05
Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
584 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using a debit card at an ATM in PDC

I use my Debit and Credit cards in Mexico, they work fine. Good idea to tell your bank before you go. Have no idea why anyone would have a problem using there cards?? People who think fraud is worse in Mexico are wrong..... Now if I was going to the US I might think twice.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,013 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using a debit card at an ATM in PDC

I've used my debit card to withdraw cash in Mexico, the US and in Europe without incident. I have a separate account that I use for my vacation cash so if I am a victim of fraud, there will be no impact whatsoever on my day-to-day finances. I only ever use bank-affiliated ATMs that are securely attached to some permanent fixture - like the wall of a bank; I avoid those stand-alone ATMs like the plague. Another often-recommended precaution is to change your PIN as soon as you get home. And, of course, you should always check your statements closely.

The most important thing is to check with your bank regarding their fees. There will be a small fee from the operator of the ATM but it's your own bank's fees that you have to worry about - some in the UK can be really extortionate.

As for whether or not your bank card will work, check to see what network you're on - typically Cirrus or Interac - and then use Google to find out what Mexican banks operate with which network. (That said, these days ATMs often operate with cards from either network.)

Edited: 22 December 2013, 23:17
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,041 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using a debit card at an ATM in PDC

40 Million Cards cloned at Target Stores in the USA last week and the warning is out not to use Cards in Mexico?...I have been using Debit here for over 20 years and not a problem. I go to Florida and in 20 min. someone is buying a big Screen TV in Italy on my dime...Its not different in any other country. I would be more leery of getting my card cloned in the US than Mexico.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
242 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using a debit card at an ATM in PDC

Dam_Kom - you are so right. There is not a right or wrong place to use your card. I am in the Techonology Business and if your bank has the right fraud products they will protect your card.

There are bad guys everywhere!!!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,281 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using a debit card at an ATM in PDC

And...the OP is talking about using a debit card to get cash from a bank ATM, not at random merchants around town. Using a debit card at a bank ATM is pretty safe. Of course nothing is fool-proof, but because bank ATMs are well-monitored by the bank, they are not likely to be tampered with.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,082 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Using a debit card at an ATM in PDC

Most, if not all the 'Experts' here spend a lot of time here and use ATMs extensively

I will go out of my way to use a bank affiliated ATM

I prefer HSBC myself

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Using a debit card at an ATM in PDC

I think the purpose of the poster's question was to determine whether their particular card would work in Mexico (since Nationwide is not one of the UK's major banks). Basically any card that has the Via or Mastercard symbol should work but a call to the bank should clear things up definitively.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
65 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Using a debit card at an ATM in PDC

I would imagine that when you tell your bank you are going they will tell you if it will work. You need one with a four digit pin. I go to PDC often and primarily use my debit card and atms for the last few years. No problems so far. If your debit card is at risk, isn't all that cash a concern too? I don't use the atms on 5th ave just at banks or the mega. I used to take travelers checks but they are way out of favor now. Then I started taking us $100 bills and going to the cambios. I would still do that but I'd rather not have too much cash, although I do get the maximum at the atm because I don't want to pay the flat fee too often (usually 3000 pesos). PDC is a pretty small place and generally requires a lesser degree of paranoia than us cities.

My bank (us bank) is my biggest concern. They charge a "foreign transaction fee" that makes the cambio rate competitive. I like the advice of having a separate account for a travel debit card.