We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

thefts at Riu hotels

CHESHIRE uk
Level Contributor
20 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
thefts at Riu hotels

I have read lots of reports of theft from your room and safe,are Riu doing anything about it?also any tips how not to fall victim to this menace.(apart from the obvious ones..)thank you.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,586 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: thefts at Riu hotels

I'm not saying that thefts never happen but it's my view that many cases of "theft", especially isolated reports, are simply cases of poor memory, misplacement of items or bad math skills on the part of the "victim" and often involve alcohol consumption.

Now, if I see a spate of thefts reported from one resort, then I'll pay a bit more attention. Opening those digital safes isn't exactly rocket science and sometimes, dishonest people do manage to find employment at resorts. So, I'd very politely suggest you check the timing of the reports of theft that you've seen and check to see if they're all around the same time and if so, was it recently?

If you're really concerned, you could purchase these sorts of products:

http://www.milockie.com/product.html

http://pacsafe.com/products

My solution is to leave the valuable jewellery at home (or wear it at all times) and to limit the amount of cash on hand by bringing only what I need for the first few days and then withdrawing more cash from local, bank-affiliated ATMs as and when I need it. This doesn't make me immune to theft, of course, but limits the effect any such incident would have on my vacation finances/holiday enjoyment.

Edited: 31 December 2013, 12:51
up north
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: thefts at Riu hotels

I returned from dinner one night to find the safe door wide open. Panic turned to calm when I realized I never shut the door and everything was still inside. If anything was missing, I would have assumed it was taken by an employee.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: thefts at Riu hotels

I think like up north said most people forget to lock the safe and just close the door.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: thefts at Riu hotels

Interesting safe product Llisa...would be extra insurance if you had to take a lot of things of high value when traveling. Bernie....I've done that a few time too...I call it "holiday head" ...fortunately the times I've done it all was secure when I returned. While I like to believe the majority of people in the world are honest there are bad apples so it is the luck of the draw if things go missing from a safe or your room. Although there are many other people that have access to your room I always do try to meet my room cleaner so there is a personal relationship, I always tip them and with it I leave them a friendly note in Spanish thanking them for cleaning my room...this could possibly make a bad apple think twice about taking the "nice lady's" designer dress?

Rochester, Minnesota
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: thefts at Riu hotels

We have stayed at the RIU resorts for years and have never experienced a theft. In fact, on one of our stays at RPM we accidentally left our digital camera at our table after lunch, shortly after checking in. My husband thought I had grabbed it and I thought he had grabbed it. We went back through the places we had been and when we asked a waiter at the restaurant, he promptly went to the kitchen and retrieved our camera as he had found it and put it there for safe keeping. We are returning to the RPM in April and can't wait to go!

Pendleton, Oregon
Level Contributor
416 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: thefts at Riu hotels

On our last trip I bought a locking bank bag from amazon. Locked our cards and cash in it then put that in the safe...Just had to keep track of the key to the bag. Cost about $20 and did not take up any room in suitcase.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,017 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: thefts at Riu hotels

We always bring a TSA combo lock for a suitcase - for thinks that are too big for the safe

Dumfries, United...
Level Contributor
183 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: thefts at Riu hotels

We have stayed in Riu,s for years as have some of the others. we have never heard about thefts when there . Hotels and resorts are always going to get thefts as they are open to bad staff and stupid travellers. The main thing is too be sensible and not to be careless with you belongings . Most importantly is to go and enjoy yourself with Riu and the Mexicans.

Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: thefts at Riu hotels

Does anyone know of any gadgets to make the hotel safes more secure?

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
359 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: thefts at Riu hotels

Been in tequila , dad in playacar since 24th dec . no probs , leaving items on sunbeds in rooms & on tables