We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All Inclusive Package Rates

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wichita, Kansas
14 posts
Save Topic
All Inclusive Package Rates

Does anyone anticipate rates beginning to decrease mid Feb 2014? I realize no one has a crystal ball but from a historical perspective I thought rates might trend down after the holidays especially for the month of June.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,520 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All Inclusive Package Rates

I actually read a thread yesterday where someone advised a poster that prices tend to drop after February. Whether or not that's true and how much of a drop I don't have a clue.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,047 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All Inclusive Package Rates

while it may or may not effect the total price, it may be important to know the lodging tax (and lots of other taxes) went up by 5% Jan 1st.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
324 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All Inclusive Package Rates

My experience is after Easter and spring break the prices go down. End of April is a good time to start looking for deals

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,892 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All Inclusive Package Rates

I agree with jddm - prices tend to go down after the high season "peak" that is Easter. May - August are often considered "shoulder season" with low season being September - November (except around Thanksgiving), By the middle of December prices usually start ramping up for Christmas/New Year.

All that said, other things can affect demand. I know we're having a brutal winter thus far in my part of the world and I don't believe we're alone in that. That sort of thing can increase demand for warm and sunny vacation destinations. On the other hand, there have been quite a few cases of H1N1 flu ("swine flu") in my area too. The last time that particular strain of flu struck Mexico, the results for the tourist industry were devastating and prices plummeted.

Another thing to consider are flight prices because they vary a lot too. A sweeping generalization is that the cheapest prices for flights is about 6 - 12 weeks out. My own experience tends to confirm this but I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions to that "rule".

There are a few things you can do though:

- book with someone who offers a decent price guarantee. FYI, anything offered by the likes of Expedia or any other online agency is likely to be very complex and convoluted and will likely make your odds of successfully getting a price adjustment quite low;

- buy "cancel for any reason" insurance. If the price goes down, then you rebook your vacation and then cancel the first one (always do it in that order!). Of course, you will be out the cost of the insurance premium, so the price differential will have to be fairly signficant for that to be worthwhile;

- my last option is just to book your vacation when you see a price you can live with and don't look back. Price checking after the fact is a bad idea because knowing you could have saved hundreds of dollars on your vacation when you're in no position to do anything about it is quite frustrating.

My best advice is to book with someone who offers a properf

Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All Inclusive Package Rates

We go every year in April for 2 weeks and so far I don't see anything getting less expensive. The Value Added Tax increasing 5% (11% to 16%) and air fares are currently $200 more than the cost we booked last year in April and the departure and arrival times are less attractive.

Prices may be less expensive after April (before April is called peak season for a reason) but they will be more expensive than last year.

Wichita, Kansas
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: All Inclusive Package Rates

Thank you for responding to my message. I'm concerned about waiting until after spring break or Easter due to flights out of our small airport (even though we're considered the air capital of the world). I do cont. to check prices and so far as of yesterday orbitz had the best price for the all inclusive we are looking at. The prices just seem to keep climbing. Our weather here today is 16 with Low -4 with a RealFeel of -11 degress and the wind gusting to 30. A fine winter in Kansas. I know that doesn't compare to your temps but this is plenty cold for us. We are ready for spring/summer. Three snows and the ground is still covered. Not a typical winter for us but we knew this was going to be a cold winter for all the forecasts.

Wichita, Kansas
14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: All Inclusive Package Rates

Thanks to everyone who were kind enough to respond to my question. I just need to take a deep breath and do it and not look back.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: All Inclusive Package Rates

I know waiting can be scary but, do you think 4 months ahead would be to long to wait?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,539 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: All Inclusive Package Rates

Also keep in mind new regulations went into effect for airline crews. Their "rest time" is going to be strictly enforced now, so that means airlines are going to have to hire more crew members and that will lead to another price increase sooner or later.

It's so hard to predict. If I had booked our Feb. vacation last Aug. or Sept., I would have saved quite a bit on airfare. I ended up waiting until Dec. and then decided I couldn't wait any longer and just booked a package I liked and could afford. Between Sept. and Dec., airfare would drop and the resorts would increase or vice versa. It's like they are in cahoots with each other, lol.

Edited: 05 January 2014, 21:42
bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,202 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: All Inclusive Package Rates

Don't forget to see what promo codes could apply to your trip if you are booking on Orbitz.