We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! 2 SIngle women (late 30's) need advice on hotel/resort

Maryland
Level Contributor
203 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Help! 2 SIngle women (late 30's) need advice on hotel/resort

My gf and I are planning our annual spring trip. Last year was South Beach. This year we are thinking either Playa del Carmen or Cancun. We are hesitant about Cancun because wonder if it will be mostly a 20-30 year old crowd. We are looking at first weekend in April. SO far i have found The Royal Playa del Carmen, Rui Palace Mexico in Playa Del Carmen or Riu Palace Las Americas in Cancun. We looked at ME Cancun also but looks like a really young crowd. The Royal is about $250-300 more for the trip. Other two are almost the same.

We want a nice beach, good pool and to be close to good nightlife. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

up north
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! 2 SIngle women (late 30's) need advice on hotel/resort

Cancun is known for its pay one price-party till dawn clubs. If thats what your looking for, cant go wrong. PDC is a little older crowd, but still has some all night clubs. Royal is in town, walking distance to everything, but not much of a beach. Riu resorts are located 10 min taxi to town on the best beach in area

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
258 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! 2 SIngle women (late 30's) need advice on hotel/resort

We are also in our 30s... went to the RPDC last year in April and are returning this April, from the 5th-12th. The Royal's location was prefect for us...great pool and beach and super close to all the action on 5th Avenue. (Tons of bars, restaurants, shopping, and mega clubs like Cancun).

We also considered Cancun and the Playacar area Rius, mainly because we loved the Riu in Aruba...but ultimately opted for the Royal to avoid the daily taxi trips. We also chose Playa over Cancun to avoid the too young Spring Break crowd .

Maryland
Level Contributor
203 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! 2 SIngle women (late 30's) need advice on hotel/resort

Good to know! I read the the Rui Palace is walking distance to clubs (15 min) but is that not true?

Cancun had good deals but I worry we will feel old next to a bunch of 21 year old party kids. Are the clubs there like The City a good mix in ages?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
258 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! 2 SIngle women (late 30's) need advice on hotel/resort

I am not positive about the walking distance from the Riu Palace to 5th, but I think the walk to the club zone is a bit longer (it's not at the very beginning of the 5th tourist area). We stopped at several Rius during an excursion to pick up passengers, and it seemed further (but I could be wrong).

The clubs have a pretty wide range in ages...definitely not a bunch of 21 year olds lol. We went to Coco Bongo one night, and there were people there from their 20s-60s+.

Kingston
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! 2 SIngle women (late 30's) need advice on hotel/resort

Just booked a week at RIU Tequila in Feb. From what i'm reading its a fairly party friendly resort. Is that the resort itself or it being located near party spots in Playa del Carmen? I'm in my late 30's and I prefer a mix. Hate being the oldest dude on the dancefloor;)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
281 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! 2 SIngle women (late 30's) need advice on hotel/resort

Ha, this reminds me of a post I did, although for Cabo. What are you two single women looking for in your trip? I just got back a few weeks ago from a week in PDC, Puerta Adventuras and Cancun. Maybe it was because of the holiday, but I would never stay at the Royal Playa Del Carmen if I was looking to meet some hot stud or party. It's a beautiful hotel full of couples and it's not really a party crowd. As long as you guys are just looking for a pretty place to lay your head, it may be for the place for you, but personally, I would skip it, plus the food is close to awful at RDPC. With that being said, we spent 1 night in Cancun and I couldn't wait to get out of there. It was like an awful version of South Beach, and well, you just went to South Beach last spring break. But, with that being said, some of the best partying I have done is with the 20-30 yr old crowd, if you just want to dance and let loose. It really depends on what you are looking for. We stayed at the Hard Rock Riviera Maya in Puerta Adventuras for 2 nights and had a blast. It's more of the hotel crowd I bet you are looking for--but there are no night clubs close by--it's 30 min south of Playa. But we partied and loved the crowd there. Plus, it's really close to XPlor, something you and your girlfriend should definitely do one day (at least according to my friends who have been).

Texas
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! 2 SIngle women (late 30's) need advice on hotel/resort

We've been to RPDC twice & after 5 trips to other resorts have decided its currently our favorite. We LOVE the location & feel like the service & environment is exactly what we look for in a AI location. We happen to love the food but that's always subjective. I had a long chat with a co-worker who stopped going to Mexico because of bad food. I asked her where they stayed & her reply was "various RIU's"...just goes to show different strokes for different folks. Yes, there are a lot of couples but when we were there in August there were equally as many family groups & bachelor/bachelorette parties. I'd go there with my best friend in a heartbeat. Some say the beach isn't the best (and when compared to beaches like Maroma it's definitely inferior) but we had a great time swimming in it...of course the fantastic beach service helps that.

I feel like we get the best of several worlds staying here...beautiful rooms, great service, delicious food, top shelf alcohol & the proximity to tons of entertainment/beach bars/shopping.

Good luck & feel free to PM me if you want more pics of RPDC.

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
220 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! 2 SIngle women (late 30's) need advice on hotel/resort

The RPDC delivers on one important consideration for those that go out to the bar and club scene.

Location,. Location. Location

Although predominantly couples and groups, it is not a meat market. However, 100 yards north on the beach is Mamitas Beach Club....more singles there than you can shake a stick at. Young 20 30 crowd.

There are absolutely excellent food choices at RPDC unless you are looking for simple grab and go menu items.

All the other PDC hotels you mentioned are cab ride or good but doable walk.....going but I'd take a cab back. RPDC 5th ave clubs are out the front door..

FINS UP ___/)___

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
281 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! 2 SIngle women (late 30's) need advice on hotel/resort

I agree with the location, location, location comment! That is true! It's definitely interesting the different strokes for different folks comments. I am wondering if the chef changed, because we thought the food was the worst part of the RPDC and we ate at every single restaurant they had except for the chef's table 3 weeks ago. The Veal for Christmas dinner at Marie Marie's tasted like a weird meat with salted gravy. The "prime rib" was the same as the ribeye the next night at their other restaurants. The food was so bad, it was comedic.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! 2 SIngle women (late 30's) need advice on hotel/resort

<Cancun is known for its pay one price-party till dawn clubs.>

We stay in the Cancun hotel zone often and have not gone clubbing there in 20 years. For us, Cancun is gorgeous ocean and beaches, convenience to get out and about easily without taxis and a couple of resorts we really enjoy.

To the OP, PDC sounds more like what you are looking for and The Royal would likely be just right for you.