We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice please,Iberostar or Barcelo

delaware
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Topic
Advice please,Iberostar or Barcelo

Can anyone give me advice.

Which of these hotels are better. We have stayed at the Iberostar before but never the Barcelo.

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice please,Iberostar or Barcelo

Which Iberostar, which Barcelo?

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,969 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice please,Iberostar or Barcelo

We need to know which resort you are referring to as both the Iberostar and Barceló have different levels in their complex.

Edited: 14 January 2014, 18:15
delaware
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice please,Iberostar or Barcelo

Barcelo maya caribe beach, Iberostar Pariso beach

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,969 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice please,Iberostar or Barcelo

You ask which is better, but better in what way??

The resorts are of a similar caliber. They each limit your number of als carte dinners. Both are part of a LARGE complex.

The beach at the Barceló is a bit better and you can snorkel right off parts of the beach there.

Iberostar is closer to the airport. Service is as bit better at Iberostar.

I would go with the one that offers the best price.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice please,Iberostar or Barcelo

I was researching this summer and trying to decide between the two and in the end chose Barcelo (going end of Feb) only because a friend of mine went to both and preferred it. Of course, this is very subjective and you will find many people on here who will offer pro's and con's for both. One point to mention is that they recently opened a dolphin pool at the Barcelo which I know a lot of people don't support. Had I known, I would have not booked the Barcelo as I'm personally against that - too late to change now.

Edited: 14 January 2014, 20:06
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
966 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice please,Iberostar or Barcelo

Normally, I would recommend the Barcelo, but since I am against any type of animal abuse and since they have recently put in a small swim with dolphin concrete pool/prison, I can no longer recommend this resort. Dolphins are highly intelligent and social mammals that need to swim in a large ocean and not in a small concrete pool. I would politely like to suggest that people check out and educate yourself on this type of animal abuse on facebook's, Don't Swim With the Dolphin in Playa del Carmen facebook page, before you book the Barcelo. It is not included in their all inclusive program, plus they are now charging extra for people to visit some of their a la carte restaurants. Barcelo seems to be getting nickle and diming from their customers lately, as well.. Another great resort you may want to check out is the Grand Palladium, where they offer so much more for the dollar and they respect nature and wildlife.

Edited: 14 January 2014, 20:53
7. Re: Advice please,Iberostar or Barcelo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2015, 06:19