We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel should we pick????

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new england
Level Contributor
407 posts
Save Topic
Which hotel should we pick????

Four couples going away ages from 30/45 looking for nice beach meaning white sand clear water,clean rooms not there much , good size pools also need to have a swim up bars,a few restaurants so u have a different place to eat at night,nightly shows or at least music playing at a bar so after dinner we can have drinks, also don't want a huge place and don't want to have more then a hour away. So here are some we have picked but any suggestions are welcome...

1) Ocean Mayan Royale

2)Ocean Coral & Turquesa

3) grand principe coba

4) Occidental grand carafe

5)grand palliadum colonial

Thank you for any info!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,539 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotel should we pick????

Ocean Coral and Turquesa was a decent resort, but the water was not pleasant enough to coax me in for a swim. If you read the reviews, it's like that most of the time, so maybe not the best choice, although I haven't been to the others, so cannot comment on them.

Other than that, they do have several restaurants to pick from, 4 very nice pools, including one with a swim up bar, a large lobby for drinks anytime, outdoor music at the "dry" side of the swim up bar at night, and they also have indoor shows (can't comment on them, we didn't attend). It's also less than 1/2 hour from the airport.

I didn't care for the idea of paying extra for "privileged", I feel you can get a better resort overall for the cost of that upgrade. Also, if anyone has mobility issues, even though the resort is not that large, elevators are few and far between and there are a lot of stairs for going up and down from the lobby to pool, beach, restaurants, etc., and no railings on the stairs going up and down to the rooms.

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
3,556 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel should we pick????

You have listed large/mega resorts (2, 3, and 5), and 1 not a good beach, 4 a man-made beach cove due to the ironshore. And 3 & 5 are maybe 75 minutes from the airport.

I think you may wish to search again. If there's a price point or max you can spend per person, including air or not (please say so), tell us and we'll get more answers.

I'd probably stick to the Playacar area resorts. Not mega resorts, nice long white sand beach, close to Playa del Carmen town. Easy to get off property, so it's not isolated. Lots of choices in lots of price points.

Bye,

SeaBass

3. Re: Which hotel should we pick????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2015, 06:21