We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Valladolid and Ek Balam

baltimore
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Valladolid and Ek Balam

My hubby and I are thinking about doing a day trip to Valladolid and Ek Balam from PDC. We prefer to do it by bus if possible. I know the Ado goes from PDC to Valladolid. Does the bus go to Ek Balam also? If not any suggestions on the best way to get there?

I wouldn't mind renting a car for the day but hubby really doesn't want to do that. You would figure after all these years of vacationing in PDC he would feel comfortable in doing that. lol. We looked into a tour but the private ones are so pricey for just the two of us.

This will be our first time visiting either of these places. We know it will be a long day trip and we are fine with that. Any suggestions you guys can provided I would love it.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,118 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Valladolid and Ek Balam

Reportedly there is a colectivo that goes to Ek Balam from Valladolid. Someone will have to post the location. Otherwise, use a taxi.

Verify the schedule at ado.com.mx and note that you can also use Cancun as a alternate routing if that helps.

You will do fine.

Edited: 18 January 2014, 16:24
baltimore
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Valladolid and Ek Balam

Great!! thanks. I am happy to know it is doable.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,118 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Valladolid and Ek Balam

Most likely you will depart from the Alternate station on 20th Ave I believe so either go there initially or allow a few minutes to get there from the 5th Ave station.

baltimore
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Valladolid and Ek Balam

Co pilot, you read my mind. I was going to ask that question. So the way it would work out we would take the bus to Valladolid and spend a few hours there and then take a collectivo or taxi to Ek Balam. After the visit in Ek Balam we would collectivo or taxi back to Valladolid and take the bus back to PDC.

How long do you guys think we would need to spend in Valladolid and Ek Balam?

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,118 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Valladolid and Ek Balam

The earliest bus that I could make is at 800 AM. Arrive in Valladolid at 1110 AM and you should make it to Ek Balam by noon assuming a taxi. The colectivo option might have timing realities that would take longer.

Last bus from Valladolid to PDC is at 805 PM so you would have plenty of time there.

If you do it, please post back about your experience. The bus system is great and I would like to see more people use it to see things.

If you have not been to Chichen Itza, you cab take a bus there for the start of your experience.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,118 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Valladolid and Ek Balam

Personally I would go to Ek Balam first unless you want to eat lunch.

Then you should have a few hours still in Valladolid but not be pressured to get back to the bus station.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,323 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Valladolid and Ek Balam

One problem you may have is with the ADO schedule from Playa. One departure at 4AM and another at 8AM.

I doubt you want to leave at 4AM but the 8 will not get you to Valladolid until almost 11.

No bus from Valladolid to Ek Balam. Last I knew ADO was operating a special departure on Friday, Saturday and Sunday at 830AM, returning at 1230PM. The fareis only 50 pesos. Problem is, you would have to depart from Playa at 4AM for this bus.

Otherwise, you have a choice of taxi or colectivo to Ek Balam.

If using ADO from Playa, the buses normally depart from the terminal on 20. You might buy tickets a day early and be sure of departure terminal.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,118 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Valladolid and Ek Balam

I was there an hour but 1.5 to two may be better. Get suggestions on places to eat.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,118 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Valladolid and Ek Balam

See if the Mayan Adventure map/guide from cancunmap.com might be useful to you.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,323 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip to Valladolid and Ek Balam

I hope you will spend more time in Valladolid. An interesting town to explore. And if in the market for leather sandals, this is the place. Many little shops around town crafting very nice handmade sandals. Also the place all my Mexican friends shop for silver or gold jewelry. Large and small shops all around town with much better prices than the resorts.

One place I enjoy eating is right next to the ADO bus terminal. The name is Squimoz. Very food good and varied menu with many delicious healthy fruit drinks. Don't be fooled by what you see in front. They have a very nice patio area in back. I was last there two weeks ago and it was very good, as always.