We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go in Mexico?????

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Carolina
5 posts
Save Topic
Where to go in Mexico?????

I am planning a trip for my husband and I in November and am thinking about Mexico. We have been to Cancun and loved it but thought we might try somewhere different. We want pretty sand with crystal clear water!!! We also like the all-inclusives. Can anyone help as to where the best place to visit in Mexico????????

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,692 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go in Mexico?????

My first trip won't be until February, but how about Playa del Carmen- just south of Cancun, Cozumel - island off of Playa or Isla Mujeres- island off of Cancun? Just a few ideas.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,994 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go in Mexico?????

Saysmom, Annyka gave you good choices. However I would be very careful to verify that your chosen resort has a nice beach. A few places on Cozumel have ironshore versus what I call a real beach. So read the reviews and if the resort website does not show a beach from the water (or side view) then question the board about the beach.

Frankly, as long as your basic requirements are met, and the reviews are mostly good, you would have a hard time going wrong wherever you went.

Southern Illinois
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go in Mexico?????

The Playacar area is a great place to go. We went to Puerto Vallarta for 2 years before we discovered PDC. PV is OK , but not near as nice as PDC area.

Klagenfurt
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go in Mexico?????

Playa del Carmen would be a good choice indeed. I've been there twice and I'll be returning for the third time in September. All I can say is that if you go there I'd suggest giving a non AI-accomodation a try. PDC offers many wonderful places to have dinner - you'd be missing out on a great experience if you stayed in an AI.

I can highly recommend an excellent PDC forum with tons of info: http://www.playa.info

Klagenfurt
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go in Mexico?????

Playa del Carmen would be a good choice indeed. I've been there twice and I'll be returning for the third time in September. All I can say is that if you go there I'd suggest giving a non AI-accomodation a try. PDC offers many wonderful places to have dinner - you'd be missing out on a great experience if you stayed in an AI.

I can highly recommend an excellent PDC forum with tons of info: http://www.playa.info

Newmarket, ON...
Level Contributor
380 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go in Mexico?????

Saysmom:

We've been to the Yucatan four times and have been happy with all visits:

Royal Hideaway: outstanding (in ALL respects) resort in Playacar, busy location (good thing), close to Playa Del Carmen ($5.00 cab ride). Food, service and accommodations second to none.

Secrets Capri: outstanding (in ALL respects) resort north of Playa Del Carmen ($20.00 cab ride), quiet location (good thing), Adults only. Food, service and accommodations second to none.

(I guess this means they're tied??)

Sandos Gala: great family resort, cannot match either of the above in any way, but fun none the less, close to Playa Del Carmen ($5.00 cab ride), outstanding location at the south end of Playacar...beach continues south and is largely deserted but offers wonderful opportunities for swimming.

Mahahual: way off the beaten track, way south of Tulum, about 1 hour east of highway 307 (closer to Belize than Cancun!!). Tiny village, couple of hotels, just a blast. Check out the Cat's Meow bar!

Hope this helps,

Bob

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
11,060 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go in Mexico?????

I have been to the area six times and am returning in Sept. for mywedding anniversary.

There are many hotels to choose from. It would be helpful if you list more of your priorities.

AI, good beach,

big or small, close to town (PDC) or doesn't matter, spa, gym, budget, proximity to off site locations...any other specifications? There are many AIs and

the more info you can provide the better we can help.