We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Home from Royal Hideaway and Glad to Answer Questions

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,841 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Home from Royal Hideaway and Glad to Answer Questions

We just got home from 5 nights at RH, a return trip after 10 years. It was a great stay, with many changes (improved food, much more built-up Playacar) and many consistencies (gorgeous beach, great service). I'd be glad to try to answer any questions. I'll write a review within a few days.

Texas
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Home from Royal Hideaway and Glad to Answer Questions

I've noticed some pretty bad pictures and reviews on the room conditions. What was your overall opinion on them? We love the amazing rooms at the Royal so I'm trying to figure out how dissapointed my husband would be with RH's rooms.

What was your opinion on the evening entertainment?

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,799 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Home from Royal Hideaway and Glad to Answer Questions

Glad you had a good time RM, I know you were a little apprehensive. Did you get to experience a la carte for breakfast and if so was there a dress code? Shorts/tshirt/sandals ok? 6 weeks today and we arrive for 14 days. Seems to me most of the recent negative reviews were related to dress code and older style rooms which we don't have a problem with. Also curious about the evening entertainment, start around 9 pm? That's what we've become used to 9 - 11 and then off to bed. lol

Calgary
Level Contributor
651 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Home from Royal Hideaway and Glad to Answer Questions

Wow Bob, I can't wait to hear what you think of the Royal Hideaway. After all your trips to Riu Palace Mexico, this should be a new experience. I have only heard good things about the Royal. Have a great time!

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,841 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Home from Royal Hideaway and Glad to Answer Questions

KellieandDoug, our suite was amazing! They upgraded us to a 2-level duplex in Bldg 31 for no reason we can figure except that we are repeat guests. We were so appreciative. We had views of the pools and the ocean from our huge patio. We even had 2 full baths. Our room was in perfect condition and lighting was good. Housekeeping did a great job too. We were in a great location, close to the pools and beach. Our only complaint about the room, besides hearing a bit of noise from the next door resort, is such a small one...the room safe is smaller than we're used to, and it was a pain getting everything to fit each time we opened and closed it.

We didn't go to the 2 evening shows in the theater. We've been to enough resorts now that these feel pretty cheesy to us. We did really enjoy the live music each night at 9:30 at Bar Allegra's outdoor area.

Speaking of which, we were surprised that both Allegra and the Piano Bar had open air parts. It's been 10 years so we had forgotten a lot. I thought I had heard complaints about only having indoor gathering spaces in the evening, but this is not true, twice over :-). Nothing pool or beachside, but 2 nice outdoor spaces.

Bob, the dress code is so clear that I can't believe it's an issue for anyone. We didn't try a la carte for breakfast at The Deck because we loved the buffet at Spices. Fabulous omelettes, fruit, baked goods, and fresh-pressed juices and smoothies by order. I'm sure that swimsuits and cover-ups are fine for breakfast anywhere because, as long as you are dry, they are fine for a la carte lunch in Spices, which is definitely something to put on your list. The flautas are out of this world!

More questions :-)?

Cuauhtemoc
Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Home from Royal Hideaway and Glad to Answer Questions

What about getting shade on the beach? We're beach people, and from pictures I gather they don't have umbrellas, only those canopies attached to the chairs. My hubby wouldn't be happy if he coudln't be in the shade all day ;)

Floyds Knobs...
Level Contributor
810 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Home from Royal Hideaway and Glad to Answer Questions

Tons of trees that offer total shade.

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,841 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Home from Royal Hideaway and Glad to Answer Questions

KyAmy is an expert on RH, and is absolutely right based on our experience the last several days. We loved our chairs with the canopy too. It allowed us to go closer to the water's edge instead of having to stay back near the palm trees. It also felt very private when we were in there, which was nice because the Playacar beach is quite crowded...not RH's beach area, but just lots of people from all the neighboring resorts walking by all the time. You could be in complete shade under the canopy and you also were blocked from your neighbors on either side, which, for us, was a nice thing. I like sun sometimes and shade others. There were tons of available chairs, and more than enough for me to have an extra chair next to our little hut for when I wanted to be in sun without depriving anyone of a chair.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Home from Royal Hideaway and Glad to Answer Questions

Just back from the RPM they won't let you pull chairs neat the water anymore. They have posts up at resorts showing the chair line.

Page, Arizona
Level Contributor
592 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Home from Royal Hideaway and Glad to Answer Questions

RM- I am so glad you had a wonderful trip! I would love to have a comparison between Le Blanc, EDM, and RH, if you ever have time :)

Texas
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Home from Royal Hideaway and Glad to Answer Questions

We can't stand the typical theatre type shows but we do really enjoy live music and a night cap in a decent bar. It's refereshing to hear that they have both of those options. Even though my husband says he won't consider reservations for all dinners even he admits that the view from their pool is something worth trying out.

Do they have a good room service menu? If so did you try any? We really enjoy eating breakfast in our room (on the balcony if that's an option) so we appreciate decent breakfast offerings via room service.