We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Really Need Some Help - Adult Only All Inclusive

Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Really Need Some Help - Adult Only All Inclusive

For the past 6 years we have gone to either The Royal in Cancun , now Hyatt has taken over or The Royal in Playa Del Carmen . We love those two resorts for many reasons , rooms are very nice , great food and service , top shelf liquor , nice pools and pretty good beaches .

This year we have decided to venture out , we have a budget and some of the resorts I have seen that are close to what we like , is out of our price . I know I'm asking for luxury on a budget but I think it can be done or at least close , and to be honest some would say our price range is not budget but plenty ..anyway these are my choices , please give me feedback if you have stayed or feel free to add a resort you think May be a good choice . We will be traveling in mid July . Thank you again !

The Royal - Playa Del Carmen

VIM

Live Aqua

El Dorado Seaside Suites

El Dorado Royal

Secrets Silver Sands

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
129 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Really Need Some Help - Adult Only All Inclusive

I'd be interested in a response to your question also. My hubby and I stay at Playa Maya which we love, but I'm looking to send my niece and her fiance on an AI Honeymoon in Playa. My budget is $3,000 for the hotel, adults only and AI. I was thinking of the Royal but I'm not quite sure. They would be going Nov 2-9. Thanks to anyone who cares to share their wisdom.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,307 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Really Need Some Help - Adult Only All Inclusive

If you want to be IN town, in the midst of all the "action" with super-easy access to bars, restaurants, shops etc., then Royal Playa del Carmen would be your best choice.

I've stayed at both VIM and SSS. The latter is a very nice resort and extremely social. However, the beach there is pretty much unswimmable (although fine for lounging and walking). The VIM has a much bigger footprint than SSS and beautiful lush, landscapted grounds. The beach there is MUCH bigger than at SSS and there's a rock-free swimming area.

I haven't stayed at Live Aqua but gather that it is a very nice resort. I would expect it to be priced a notch or two above the VIM and SSS.

EDSS and EDR - I've a feeling their beaches aren't great but you may want to check that. Again, I would expect them to be priced above VIM and SSS.

For best "bang for the buck", I'd choose VIM. If it were within budget, I'd probably give Live Aqua a try.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,695 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Really Need Some Help - Adult Only All Inclusive

Of all that you've mentioned we've only been to RPDC and VIM. We went to RPDC in 2008 for our Honeymoon and had an amazing vacation but VIM came in way under so we went there for the next 3 vacations. We finally went back to RPDC last year for our 2nd trip and we fell in love all over again. We quickly remembered why it's our favorite resort and felt like the service, food, rooms and definitely location were all a solid step above VIM.

Don't get me wrong, VIM is a great resort and opposite in may ways to RPDC so you would get a different but sitll nice vacation. My husband never comes to these forums so I asked him why he prefers RPDC over VIM and his 1st response was "If I'm going to walk blocks everday I want it to be to explore the town, not get around the resort". Essentially, we dont like the larger resorts. I asked him what else and he said he loved seeing the ocean from our room and most areas of the resort and that's not something you get much of at VIM. Subsequently I've talked to other people who have stayed at both and love VIM more because if the secluded and less crowded beach and beautiful vegetation.

We almost booked SSS last year instead of RPDC but their rates shot up at the last second. Considering we prefer being in the pool while looking at the ocean we think an oceanfront room here would be something we would enjoy. The service and food get great comments, it's just getting IN the ocean that scares off some people.

I've read one too many comments about Live Aqua that make me nervous about their food and top shelf alcohol selections being poor if you don't have a suite booked. When we price out the suites we get rates that come back around Secrets The Vine preferred rooms or something better so never seriously considered those.

Out of all of the El Dorado resorts I think we'd want to stay at El Dorado Maroma or El Dorado Casitas Royale, El Dorado Seaside Suites just doesn't make the top of our list and El Dorado Royale strikes me as way too large for our liking.

Milford, Connecticut
Level Contributor
305 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Really Need Some Help - Adult Only All Inclusive

Check out reviews for ocean maya royale, its all adults and just outside of playa like 15mins bus or taxi ride!

Portland
Level Contributor
1 post
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Really Need Some Help - Adult Only All Inclusive

I was married at EDSS and then we went back to celebrate 2nd anniversary and brought along friends. We loved it so much. Yes, the beach was not wide like at other resorts but the service and attention to detail and just relaxation were amazing. We never felt we were missing out. We are planning a return to the area but as we now have 2 kiddos we are looking for a different kind of resort. But if we get op to return we would do it in heartbeat!!

Brighton
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Really Need Some Help - Adult Only All Inclusive

Hi Llisa,

Greetings from the UK- I am replying directly to your post as it seems you are a bit of a legend with Mexico adult AL recommendations. We stayed at the Bahia Principe Ambar a few years ago and it was first time in adult only and it was amazing. My husband works for an airline so we get to travel to some wonderful places and thought we would give Mexico a whirl. I choose my resorts by swimming pools and seafood availability- would you have any recommendations?

Kind regards,

Cathryn

PA
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Really Need Some Help - Adult Only All Inclusive

SSS, lovely resort but as everyone has mentioned, the water in front of the resort is full of iron rock. The resort itself is lovely, outstanding picturesque bars - especially the one that over looks the ocean, beautiful ocean front rooms and great restaurants and the spa is very nice.

VIM, nice resort but IMHO not in the same class as a Secrets Resort with respect to service and food. VIM has a larger footprint and is laid out in the jungle much like the Palladium Resort Complex. I enjoyed myself at the VIM and the Palladium but, I'm very spoiled by the Secrets brand of service.

While I'm talking about Secrets, I have met some folks who were disappointed with their stays at Secrets. The complaints usually centered around the mini bar not being stocked to how they like it after they left a large tip, AC not cold enough and drinks watered down. I would say the latter occurs at any resort when you have 80 - 90 degree weather. Ice melts - ask for a double shot. The other complaints need to be made with managers. Although most resorts have a large population of staff that speak English the maids, the folks who fill the minibars, etc usually have a limited speaking vocabulary much less than if you leave a note. My motto is that if there is a problem, seek out the management of any resort you are staying at. Don't hold it in and fester so that it affects your stay.

We have stayed at Eldorado Royale and didn't like it. The rooms felt old, and one of our party became very ill after eating the shrimp in the seafood buffet.

I would suggest the Palladium Royal Suites, or the Kantenah side of the resort. The Royal Suites is the all adult area of the resort - very nice.

If you like a smaller boutique hotel I would suggest Secrets Capri, and if you have the budget, Secrets Maroma Beach is outstanding.

You may want to look at the Playacar Palace which is right next to 5th avenue also. Happy travels! Keep us posted on where you decide to go.

8. Re: Really Need Some Help - Adult Only All Inclusive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2015, 05:19