We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from Sandos Playacar - any questions?

Coleman, Michigan
Level Contributor
172 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Just back from Sandos Playacar - any questions?

We have just returned from Sandos Playacar. The resort was good and the weather was awesome... a few bumps along the way, but to be expected on any vacation:). Does anyone have any questions?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
27 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from Sandos Playacar - any questions?

Did you go Royal elite? How was the food?

Massachusetts, USA
Level Contributor
979 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from Sandos Playacar - any questions?

Ha Ha....saw this post after I started one.

Thinking about taking the family to Sandos Playacar. I have a few questions....

Which block of rooms should we request to be sure to have monkeys on our balcony?

Is there drink service at the beach and pools?

Are there waves at the beach?

Is the buffet air conditioned?

Any waterslides for the kids?

Thank you......

Coleman, Michigan
Level Contributor
172 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from Sandos Playacar - any questions?

We did not do the royal elite... we stayed in the beach section - and sure glad we did! we were WAY closer to the beach.. the adult only section is way up by the road and lobby... There was a lot of different kinds of food on the buffets... I am a very picky eater but i still found stuff that i liked. All the food did seem a bit bland to me though. Bagel beach bar had burgers/hot dogs/chicken nuggets/french fries during hte day (which all seemed to please our group), and we really liked the bagel sandwiches that had in the evenings, even took some up to our rooms for early breakfast... we ate at the mexican place and steak house for our al cartes - they were good..

The monkeys seem to hang out in the trees by the 1101 rooms.. they can sometimes also be found in the trees between the spa and meeting point.

yes there is drink service on the beach, but it seems to be slow (probably due to the guest/service ratio). we typically just walked up to the bagel beach bar to get drinks, which is not too far from the beach chairs.

We did not spend time in the pools but there is drink service there also.

Yes there are waves at the beach - we had waves 4 out of 6 days.

The buffet is open air. We only ate there for breakfast and dinner so there was no need for air conditioning. It got pretty cool in the evenings.

I did not see any water slides for the kids... there was a small area with play ground equipment over by the 1101 room block but that was all i saw. They do have putt-putt golf over in that area too...

let me know if you have any other questions:)

Massachusetts, USA
Level Contributor
979 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from Sandos Playacar - any questions?

Not having an air conditioned buffet is a big bummer for me. We are going in the summer. :(

Maple Grove...
Level Contributor
71 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from Sandos Playacar - any questions?

We are going there this Thursday. Anything we shouldn't miss in your opinion? We know we are staying a bit farther back in the family section.

How was the dress attaire for dinner?

Did you need a jacket at night? It is very cold here so 70 would be a heatwave to us.

Any bumps at the hotel or was it just in general?

Thank you!

Edited: 27 January 2014, 18:20
Wisconsin
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back from Sandos Playacar - any questions?

Thinking about Sandos Playacar for our trip in March with 3 kids and need to stay in 2 rooms. Did the beach section have adjoining/connecting rooms? Are you able to call hotel and request beach section specifically?

Coleman, Michigan
Level Contributor
172 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back from Sandos Playacar - any questions?

As far as what not to miss..... at the resort, i would say dont miss bagel beach sandwiches and the cup cake cafe... also, the night life near the bambola bar is pretty good... they have movies on the big screen and one night they had a really good band. on wednesday they have some venders come in and sell some pretty unique stuff - we bought a hand painted tile that had a palm tree scene on it - never saw anything like this in town or for the rest of the week.

Dinner attire is not really enforced from what we saw at the mexican place and steakhouse. They seemed to let anyone in.. we all wore nice shorts and nice shirt and flip flops and we were fine... The evening does get cool. i wore linen pants every night and a long sleeve hoodie. the mornings are a bit cool as well.

As far as what not to miss outside the resort.... i would say if chichen itza is of interest to you - DO IT! it is pretty amazing. However, we booked this excusion through the guide service at the hotel and the tour company was AWEFUL (hence one of the bumps:) )... They didnt have us on their list, they almost left with out us, they ran behind the whole day, the tour guide was a bit abrassive, and we were told we would be back by 6 - 6:30 but we really arrived at the hotel at 9pm.... This caused us to miss our dinner reservation at the mexican place. the next night we waited for the mexican place to open and sliped the host a $10 to try to get in and we were able to get a table at 8:30... Make sure you get all your reservations for dinner booked ASAP because they fill up quick...

Also, if you enjoy snorkeling, do not miss Akumal. We took a cab down for $40 and spent the day. we have snorkeled in Hawaii so our expectations were high but they were met!

Not sure if you have been to playa but beware that stopping for drinks on 5th ave when shopping is a bit expensive... we stopped and had 5 drinks and it cost us roughly $60....

I am not sure if the beach section has adjoining rooms.. i asked for both our rooms to be near each other and we were about 6 rooms apart... when we booked on travelocity we booked the standard room - which is the beach section. There is also a family section, adult only section, and the haciendas... I emailed the hotel and asked that we be as close as possible to the beach and also told them we were there for our anniversary. We ended up being pretty close to the beach and they brought us a fruit tray and champain upon our arrival:)

Let me know if you have any other questions:) glad to be of help!

Coleman, Michigan
Level Contributor
172 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back from Sandos Playacar - any questions?

Also, i forgot to mention the restaurant IZTAPALAPA was closed when we were there. It has damage to the roof from a recent storm. They said it would be open within a week but i am not sure how true that is. It is the next closest place to eat near the beach outside of the bagel beach place.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back from Sandos Playacar - any questions?

Hola Jamie!

We'll be at Playacar for our first stay at the end of the month. i'm curious about the Wednesday night Mexican Fiesta. Did they have a buffet set up outside? Was it a fun evening? Also I believe that there's a Monday night beach party. Any input on that? We are have stayed at Sandos Caracol 3x in the past 2 years and love it but are looking to see what Playacar has to offer.

Thanks for any insight!

Coleman, Michigan
Level Contributor
172 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back from Sandos Playacar - any questions?

From what i saw, the mexican fiesta was held in the buffet area - which is open air.. the staff did some singing and wore sombraros. but that was all we saw (we ate at the italian buffet that night). we did not see any beach party on monday but we were up at the steak house... We did not venture to Caracol so i am not sure in comparison how the two resorts rate... but we enjoyed our stay at playacar.. Sorry i could not be more help on your specific questions:(