We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scotiabank ATM on our way south

Paris, France
Level Contributor
173 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Scotiabank ATM on our way south

Hi guys,

In two weeks we will be visiting the Riviera Maya for the first time, pretty excited about it already! We will be staying in a resort near Akumal and have hired a private transfer to get there from the airport.

I wanted to stop on our way to the resort and get some pesos. We could use any Scotiabank ATM (our bank is part of global Alliance, so no fees). I think Playa may be a good option but can not figure out which one of the Scotiabank ATMs listed on their website is more conveniently located for a short stop on our way south. Which Scotiabank branch would you recommend for a short stop (not far from the highway, not much walking from the place where the transfer would stop)?

Thank you in advance for your help :-)

PS I have searched the forum and found nothing, sorry if this question has been answered recently. On the other hand, the results I got were a good reminder that one must be super careful with ATMs, I most certainly will!

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,241 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scotiabank ATM on our way south

scotiabank.com.mx/es-mx/…cajeros-sur.aspx

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,683 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scotiabank ATM on our way south

From that website it appears the closest Scotia Bank is right across the street from the ADO bus station at 5th Avenue and Juarez Ave in Playa del Carmen. Northeast corner of the block. They have two ATM machines that are right on 5th Avenue underneath the Mc Donalds restaurant. They have a glass door that closes behind you for more privacy. 5th Avenue is pedestrian only. Juarez and 5th Avenue at that point is like a horseshoe and the taxis line up on the right hand side. Your driver might be able to stop along the left side, or should I say northside of the street as it loops back heading west.

here is an interactive map that might help www.intheroo.com/map

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,683 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scotiabank ATM on our way south

There is another Scotia Bank on the southwest corner of 10th Avenue and Constituyentes Ave. That would be more accessible by car. There are parking spots along Constituyentes Ave along side the bank.

Edited: 28 January 2014, 19:08
Paris, France
Level Contributor
173 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scotiabank ATM on our way south

Thanks a lot OldTraveller3! Your precisions about the branch at 5th Ave are most helpful, I can almost seen myself there...

Do you know the Scotiabank at 10th Avenue and Constituyentes Ave? The reason why I am asking is because the list Scotiabank is not up-to-date: I contacted them in November to verify whether the ATM at Bahía Príncipe still belongs to them. It does not - yet, it still is on the list. I should have said all this on my original question, I realize now, sorry!

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,683 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scotiabank ATM on our way south

Yes, I know the bank on 10th Avenue. It's a large building. We walk by there all the time. I use the Banamex in Playa, but from time to time I use the Scotia bank atm on 5th. But, after figuring in your transfer agent, it would be easier for him to drop you off at the Scotia Bank on 10th. Now 10th Avenue is 1 way going north, so he can't make a right on 10th. 15th Avenue is one way south and he can turn right and then left on 16 Calle and then swing in front on 10th. There could be parking spots available right on Constituyentes. Or he could drop you off and then drive around until you are done with your business. Depending on the time of day, the traffic can be pretty busy.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
173 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scotiabank ATM on our way south

Great! That is really helpful, thanks again OT3 for your fast and detailed answers. I was really lost with all the directions and pedestrian streets in Playa del Carmen. The interactive map is most useful, I added it to my bookmarks. I'll tell our transfer company we want to stop at the branch at Constituyentes and will give them the details about where to park, I am sure they can figure out to where to stop.

I have just read again the e-mail I got from Scotiabank and I had forgotten a very important piece of advice they gave me! They told me no to use the link on post #1 (that was the one I had sent them) but instead check their updated list of branches here: scotiabank.com.mx/es-mx/Acerca-de-Scotiabank… This list seems up-to-date (the ATM at Bahía Príncipe is not listed), so if anybody needs to look for Scotiabank ATMs this is the list they should use.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,683 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scotiabank ATM on our way south

Arale, I love Paris. Playa is like a mini Paris, very mini. Playa is the City of light in Mexico. My wife says we are going to Rome later this year. I'm pouting. I'm missing Paris.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,312 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Scotiabank ATM on our way south

Love that map OT3

But best to check with your Private transfer - they may charge up to a $30 shopping fee to head into Playa to a Scotia bank

Taking $ from the airport ATM or at Bahia may cost under $5

There is a Scotia bank in Tulum if you intend to visit there on any side trips

Are there any other bank alliances?? HSBC , Santander, Bancomer??

9. Re: Scotiabank ATM on our way south

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2015, 06:20